Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2022, 10:39   #1

How to power Seatalk ng network directly rather then through my acu 200?

Hello I've got an acu 200 autopilot axiom mfd. And a bunch of stuff in my network. My network is powered through my acu 200. I have the power spur and room on my backbone e to inject power into the network rather then the acu 200 powering it. There's a dipswitch in the acu seatalk ng plug. I assume I leave 12 power the the acu 200. Set the seatalk ng dip switch to off and inject 12v to the backbone? I'm not sure and don't want to fry any thing. Can any one advise me on how to do thi?
Mg451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 11:01   #2

Boat: Southerly 480
Re: How to power Seatalk ng network directly rather then through my acu 200?

That's basically the gist. Ideally, you want to try and balance the power draw (in LUN) on each side of the power injector as best you can.

If you're not comfortable with this, I'd highly recommend you get someone who is. As you said, you don't want to fry anything.
shimari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 11:13   #3

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

Typically the only device on that network drawing any current is the autopilot power/ control unit. Think about powering your AP actuator drive motor through that #16/18 power lead in that STNG cable. A bad idea IMO.

On second thought I bet RM has a diode or DC/DC converter on the STNG power to keep from that happening and that is what the switch is all about.

Still do not see any reason why your proposed configuration would offer any advantage unless your yacht/ network is in the 100 ft range.

Frankly

I went back and re read what you are proposing and (my recall ain't as good as past). If you are having some problems with voltage drop when the rudder actuator is working hard and some of the instrument/ displays powered from the network are misbehaving, I would first beef up the AP power. If that is not reasonable then that switch and what you are asking might help stablize the voltage on the network.

Been at this business for over 70 years and a lot of problems associated with low voltage. Also a big proponent of "if it ain'the broke don'the fix it".
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 11:49   #4

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Doesn't what was proposed also avoid the need to ALWAYS have your AP on to power and use instruments? Seems silly to do that, although that i show my boat currently works (and I plan to change when I redo my instruments).
Old 22-06-2022, 11:54   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
Doesn't what was proposed also avoid the need to ALWAYS have your AP on to power and use instruments? Seems silly to do that, although that i show my boat currently works (and I plan to change when I redo my instruments).
Correct - when I rewired my last boat I had two different STNG power injectors with a power isolator separating them. My ACU-200 powered all of the displays I used underway, and I had a separate injector for the AIS and GPS for use while at anchor and underway. This way I conserved battery while at anchor.
Old 22-06-2022, 12:15   #6
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankly View Post
Typically the only device on that network drawing any current is the autopilot power/ control unit. Think about powering your AP actuator drive motor through that #16/18 power lead in that STNG cable. A bad idea IMO.

On second thought I bet RM has a diode or DC/DC converter on the STNG power to keep from that happening and that is what the switch is all about.

Still do not see any reason why your proposed configuration would offer any advantage unless your yacht/ network is in the 100 ft range.

Frankly

I went back and re read what you are proposing and (my recall ain't as good as past). If you are having some problems with voltage drop when the rudder actuator is working hard and some of the instrument/ displays powered from the network are misbehaving, I would first beef up the AP power. If that is not reasonable then that switch and what you are asking might help stablize the voltage on the network.

Been at this business for over 70 years and a lot of problems associated with low voltage. Also a big proponent of "if it ain'the broke don'the fix it".
Raymarines AP power inputs are never from any seatalk bus. The actuator Control unit has a seperate feed
Old 22-06-2022, 12:35   #7

Boat: Valiant 42

not sure about the ACU200 but the ACU400 has a sleep switch provision where you power down the autopilot but retain the STng power feed. That said, I opted to not use the ACU400 STng power and rather have a powered T perfectly in the middle of the complete network load.
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 12:36   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween View Post
not sure about the ACU200 but the ACU400 has a sleep switch provision where you power down the autopilot but retain the STng power feed. That said, I opted to not use the ACU400 STng power and rather have a powered T perfectly in the middle of the complete network load.
The ACU200 has a sleep switch as well.
Old 22-06-2022, 12:41   #9

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

At my age "brain farts happen more and more often". "Read what the poster said not what you think he said".

For any lighter AP brothers that might be interested on my ACU 100 (RM chose not to power the STNG bus from the unit) I added a fused jumper from the 12V power over to the STNG terminals. Works fine and freed up a spur port on my ST to STNG adaptor that I desperately needed.

Back to sleep now.

Frankly
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 16:27   #10

I remember a rm tech suggested I power the network directly. I'm not having any issues just trying not to have any down the road..what I have now is. Axiom mfd ,acu 200,ev200 ,rudder sensor , type 2 linear drive, p70s control head, and a external alarm, I'm adding a microtalk puck i70s wind indicator and a wireless wind anemometer, and actisense ais ngw. Am I mistaken thinking I need to power the network directly rather then the acu 200 power it.
Old 22-06-2022, 16:29   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mg451 View Post
I remember a rm tech suggested I power the network directly. I'm not having any issues just trying not to have any down the road..what I have now is. Axiom mfd ,acu 200,ev200 ,rudder sensor , type 2 linear drive, p70s control head, and a external alarm, I'm adding a microtalk puck i70s wind indicator and a wireless wind anemometer, and actisense ais ngw. Am I mistaken thinking I need to power the network directly rather then the acu 200 power it.
You can do either. Just depends on what you want.
Old 22-06-2022, 16:37   #12

Hmm that's interesting maybe I'm over thinking again. I was under the impression the acu200 may have problems providing enough power from the way I thought rm was explaining it
Old 22-06-2022, 16:50   #13

I powered a p70, 2 x i70, itc5 with wind and depth sensors, and the EV-1 without any problem with my ACU-200. For a simple network like you have, it should be fine.

If you want you can wire the ACU-200 sleep switch to your helm, it's a simple SPST and it will save you power for when you're not using the autopilot but want the backbone powered.
Old 22-06-2022, 16:57   #14

I think I will do just that I have to get a look at it but in think I do remember some sort of sleep terminals or perhaps a dipswitch.
Old 22-06-2022, 17:08   #15

I used a locking contura switch. I didn't want to accidentally bump it in rough weather.

https://www.otrattw.net/contura-v-lo...PZCYT-1IB.html

You can also have them label the switch for you. Pic below.

Correction to my previous post - I was powering one i70 not two.

Tags
seatalk, work