Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2013, 08:13   #46

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind
Re: How to Make New Teak Look Old?

When my mast came down last year, it took out the teak fiddle rails along with it.
After I rebuilt it all, I had the same problem - it didn't look original enough.
All I did was scrub it with a stiff brush and Barkeepers cleanser. After one season in the weather, it looks old & worn out like the rest of the boat. All I do is wash with seawater and barkeepers for the tough stuff and a scotch bright pad -- never a stiff brush! (unless you like lots of raised grain) I dont oil or varnish anything except spars. I spray.. all the wood with antifreeze ( etheylene glycol) especially the water ways, places where mold is likely to grow. Works great! You wont find much green slime on my boat. Plane old cheap Ace Hardware antifreeze.
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 07:04   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

How about putting some mineral water on the board(lay flat) and put a towel over the water and applie a hot iron or paint stripper ..This will raise and lower(soft part) the grain,dont know why it has to be mineral water but thats what my source said to use ..good luck
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 07:07   #48
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Steam may raise the grain that way, and plain tap water has some mineral content. Mineral waters can be very different from each other, so I suspect there's some urban myth in there from someone trying to sell a particular brand.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote