Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2019, 15:56   #1

Boat: 1982 O'Day 37
How to find this exhaust riser?

So I recently was running from Dorian and scooted into Indiantown Marina in central Florida. When I got there I noticed the engine room vents had soot coming out of them... clearly an indication of some kind of exhaust leak.

Down below I found the issue: (google album, hope this works)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BUP44pQRso5zR3GJ7

basically, the riser coming out of the exhaust manifold, where it connects to the mixing elbow, cleanly broke in two.

I'm fairly new to marine engine work. How do I find a replacement for this? It's a 1982 Universal M-40 engine, and my google-** is failing me.

I'm getting hauled out next week (since I'm at a marina with haulout services, might as well take care of the stuff I've been meaning to do for a while) so I'd like to knock this out as soon as practically possible, but I'm having a problem discovering where to start. Universal no longer exists as a marine engine manufacturer.

Thanks for any input, I appreciate it
jholovacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 16:07   #2

Boat: Catalina 36
Re: How to find this exhaust riser?

Looks like a home built job- remove the wrap you’ll probably find black pipe.
Cat36Mahalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 16:39   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Yes another vote for homemade.'
What I would do if I couldn't weld is take it to a piping fabrication place & ask them to make a replacement in 316L stainless steel schedule 10 pipe.
You can make it out of cheaper black pipe but it wont last long ( maybe 3 years) whereas I've had 316L ss sched 10 pipe last 15+ years maybe longer as I sold boat.
A lot use ss tube but that can crack
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 16:40   #4

black pipe meaning just steel pipe and some elbows from Home Depot or whatnot?
Old 08-09-2019, 16:46   #5

Boat: Catalina 36

Yup. Not galvanized.
Cat36Mahalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 16:51   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Yes pretty much carbon steel pipe. Or pipe can be bent, dont know whats under wrap but it looks like threaded elbows as wrap looks fatter at bends. You may be able to make one outa threaded pipe IF you can get the assembly apart ( doubtful ) but you mite be lucky
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 19:42   #7

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Stainless pipe is also available......as are all the connections.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:38   #8

Boat: Watkins 29

If youre still in Indian Town Marina, they should be able to help you out fabicating a new piece.
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:22   #9

I had to replace mine on a Catalina 36 and I got one from Catalina Direct. They may be able to find a replacement from their inventory or direct you to a manufacturer. Their phone number is 800-959-sail.
ebs001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:25   #10

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

It will be cheaper than you think to have a metal fabrication shop build one of stainless steel. I would go to at least 3 places personally. I was a general building contractor and always got 3 bids, even if I was fairly sure the was a sub-contractor I thought I was going to use. I had had guys I knew and trusted their abilities get into debt or discover drugs over the years that thought I was not getting other bids and suddenly their prices would skyrocket. My other rule of thumb ( not the one my employee Bruno lost when he fell asleep one Monday morning on a table saw after a busy weekend in the happiest place on Earth, Tijuana, Mexico some years before he went to work for me) was that if the 3 bids varied by a lot, I would get a couple more. I once had an insulation contractor show up to bid an industrial building in a Ferrari. His bid was more than 10 times the cheapest bid and 4 times the middle bid. After getting 1 more bid 1/2 way between the cheapest 2 I went with the cheapest bid. The cheap guy told me me that he would bring to idiots to my job and a scissor lift and the insulation and that he would pick them up in the afternoon and make $1000 for his effort. He did and I made more than that as my initial bid was closer to the middle guy. Sorry I am old and live in a new to me town and don't too many friends yet.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:34   #11

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

Also, make sure the riser is as high as possible in my opinion. To save a little metal it is not uncommon for the riser to be whatever the minimum that can be gotten away with. I once had a 3000 hour pretty strong Yanmar turn it's innards into a metal sculpture after days of sailing downwind in large seas. The exhaust was closed, but I ran the engine for awhile to recharge the batteries and left the valve open for a couple hours before closing it, and next time I started the engine to enter a bay the engine made a really loud bang and was dead for ever and I had to paddle up to mooring with a shelf. I now have solar panels, a wind generator, a new Yanmar with a real tall exhaust riser and a 12 sculling oar that is also the mast for my dinghy.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 14:21   #12

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Looks like a Universal diesel? Moyer Marine sells parts for the Atomic 4, and I believe they both use 1.25" (inch and a quarter) NPT pipe. You can build the riser out of either black iron or SS pipe, and use Moyer's water injection piece. Note it's MPT on one end, barbed for hose on the other.
Start by removing the entire assembly by disconnecting the hoses and removing the flange from the head.

Use a vise or a couple of pipe wrenches to unscrew the assembly from the flange, then it's just three 90 degree elbows and three pipe nipples, roughly the same length as the original. As fatherchronica said, make the riser as tall as possible, but remember to leave room for insulation wrap, and keep a safe distance from any combustible materials. If you can't the flange to unscew from the pipe, you can get a new one without breaking the bank.

I redid the riser for my A4 with 316 SS pipe and fittings from McMaster-Carr for under $100.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 14:53   #13

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jholovacs View Post
So I recently was running from Dorian and scooted into Indiantown Marina in central Florida. When I got there I noticed the engine room vents had soot coming out of them... clearly an indication of some kind of exhaust leak.

Down below I found the issue: (google album, hope this works)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BUP44pQRso5zR3GJ7

basically, the riser coming out of the exhaust manifold, where it connects to the mixing elbow, cleanly broke in two.

I'm fairly new to marine engine work. How do I find a replacement for this? It's a 1982 Universal M-40 engine, and my google-** is failing me.

I'm getting hauled out next week (since I'm at a marina with haulout services, might as well take care of the stuff I've been meaning to do for a while) so I'd like to knock this out as soon as practically possible, but I'm having a problem discovering where to start. Universal no longer exists as a marine engine manufacturer.

Thanks for any input, I appreciate it
Westerbeke either took over service or purchased Universal some years back. But be forewarned, you'd be better off $$$ by having a new one fabricated in stainelss than buyng a new one.

Check a pic of one...
Universal 5432/M40 exhaust elbow?

Westerbeke...
https://www.westerbeke.com/advanced%...g,%20m-40b.pdf
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 14:53   #14

I don't know if Indiantown has a lot of tech help; it seems like the quintessential self-work yard, but I'll see what my options are on fabrication. I get hauled out on Friday so I'll have at least a week to figure it out, maybe take some measurements and hit up the internets. Lots of good ideas in here though.
Old 09-09-2019, 15:04   #15

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Search online for "marine exhaust systems" and you will find many professionals who can make a quality replacement. I would not have a local metal shop do it unless they have special expertise.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust