Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2019, 10:46   #1

Boat: Tashiba-31
How to care for cabin woodwork

The cabin on my Tashiba-31 is beautiful wood - even after 30 years! I'm not completely sure, but I assume the wood has been finished with varnish.

How should I clean/upkeep the wood to keep it looking as it does now. Should I use something like Old English? Suggestions?

I'm mostly concerned with the galley area. How to I clean grease from the wood surfaces in the galley area? Is it safe to use products like 409?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Main Cabin.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	192852  
dmksails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2019, 10:57   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
How to care for cabin woodwork

It is varnished I’m sure.
Use only gentle cleaning products, I’d stay away from 409, if you use any cleaning products that have an oil in them if the varnish is missing from any spot, it will darken the wood.
Ours is also 30 and is beginning to show places where the varnish is wearing off, or breaking down for whatever reason.
I assume refinishing would en a real near and beyond my capabilities, as I think the veneer may be quite thin.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2019, 05:00   #3

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)
Re: How to care for cabin woodwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmksails View Post
The cabin on my Tashiba-31 is beautiful wood - even after 30 years! I'm not completely sure, but I assume the wood has been finished with varnish.

How should I clean/upkeep the wood to keep it looking as it does now. Should I use something like Old English? Suggestions?

I'm mostly concerned with the galley area. How to I clean grease from the wood surfaces in the galley area? Is it safe to use products like 409?
Pretty sure the finish is varnish, especially if it has lasted 30 years. I would try to clean it with neutral soap and water first, but I can't see how a degreasing detergent could harm it.

I have a similar interior- lots of quality, beautiful wood, varnished with an almost matt finish (just a slight sheen, but not glossy). I wanted to renew the varnish before it started to show its age. I discovered a technique that really works. I bought some quality satin finish varnish and applied it with a small square of lint-free cloth (an old t-shirt cut into squares). You take a square of cloth and wrap it around a some cotton to form a little ball, which you dip in varnish and gently wipe over the wood surface. I found it covers perfectly (no lines or marks), comes out with a finish between matt and satin and looks just like the original finish. You can do a few coats as the varnish goes on very thin. You'll be amazed at the results- it looks like a new boat interior!
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2019, 05:45   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmksails View Post

Think OrangeGlo. We've been using it for many years to good effect.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2019, 06:01   #5
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

lemon oil will not darken it and smells good too.
Old 29-05-2019, 09:44   #6

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

You do have beautiful woodwork. Mine is not so nice so I had less anxiety in trying to make it better/cleaner.

For the galley area I would investigate Murphy's Oil Soap. I've been using it for years on houses and boats. It's plant based and mild but removes a ton of dirt from wood you would not think dirty in the first place. But run a search on it's effects on varnish first. I think it'll be OK but better safe....
Old 29-05-2019, 10:10   #7

Boat: Pearson 34-2

We have also had good luck with Murphy's on our boat. We also know people who use lemon oil to help protect it with success.
fred4936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2019, 13:43   #8

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
You do have beautiful woodwork. Mine is not so nice so I had less anxiety in trying to make it better/cleaner.

For the galley area I would investigate Murphy's Oil Soap. I've been using it for years on houses and boats. It's plant based and mild but removes a ton of dirt from wood you would not think dirty in the first place. But run a search on it's effects on varnish first. I think it'll be OK but better safe....
Second that
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2019, 18:49   #9

Boat: Taswell 43

We've always been told that the fine interior woodwork was finished with spray-on lacquer-not varnish. Our Taswell (same yard) was built in 1989, a few years after yours, but unfortunately all the corporate knowledge is gone. We've had good success using "Old English" lemon oil, but that's just to bring back the finish-not to put a new finish on. IF it is an original spray-on lacquer, I don't know what putting a varnish over it would do......even though we've often thought about it. Anyone have any real experience trying it?
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2019, 18:17   #10

Boat: Logan 33

I have a similar dilemma! NZ kauri t&g and panelling. Built in 2002, I think they sprayed with polyurethane? and buffed to a silky smooth finish, but that left very little product, and some pale blooming is appearing, I assume from moisture discolouring the polyurethane.
Either I strip and recoat (tedious) or brush on more polyurethane and live with the blotchy finish.
Another suggestion is polyurethane/boiled linseed oil (50/50) wiped on with a rag dipped in kerosine. Any thoughts on that approach? Sounds like wiping on Danish Oil to me.
daveNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2019, 18:39   #11

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 41
Send a message via Skype™ to Kijit

I just used a beeswax wood finish to touch up ours and it turned out great with minimal effort. I used Skidmore's. First time I tried it.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190519_161529698.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	193032
Kijit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2019, 22:15   #12

Boat: Oyster 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copacabana View Post
Pretty sure the finish is varnish, especially if it has lasted 30 years. I would try to clean it with neutral soap and water first, but I can't see how a degreasing detergent could harm it.

I have a similar interior- lots of quality, beautiful wood, varnished with an almost matt finish (just a slight sheen, but not glossy). I wanted to renew the varnish before it started to show its age. I discovered a technique that really works. I bought some quality satin finish varnish and applied it with a small square of lint-free cloth (an old t-shirt cut into squares). You take a square of cloth and wrap it around a some cotton to form a little ball, which you dip in varnish and gently wipe over the wood surface. I found it covers perfectly (no lines or marks), comes out with a finish between matt and satin and looks just like the original finish. You can do a few coats as the varnish goes on very thin. You'll be amazed at the results- it looks like a new boat interior!

Do you wipe on neat varnish or dilute it with thinner first? If the latter what ratio? Thanks
Neziak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2019, 23:45   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

For the galley area I would start by cleaning it with white vinegar. Will smell like a chip shop for a few hours but goes quickly enough and does a good job. We keep a bottle on board.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2019, 23:51   #14

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveNZ View Post
I have a similar dilemma! NZ kauri t&g and panelling. Built in 2002, I think they sprayed with polyurethane? and buffed to a silky smooth finish, but that left very little product, and some pale blooming is appearing, I assume from moisture discolouring the polyurethane.
Either I strip and recoat (tedious) or brush on more polyurethane and live with the blotchy finish.
Another suggestion is polyurethane/boiled linseed oil (50/50) wiped on with a rag dipped in kerosine. Any thoughts on that approach? Sounds like wiping on Danish Oil to me.
Sadly, polyurethane is something of a fad in NZ, and has been for 30 years or so. Once it goes the only solution is physical removal. It should never be applied to wood in my opinion. 17 years is good going for it — many let go before 10 years. If they had used a quality Danish Oil, like they do on many superyachts here, you could have wiped on another coat to make it like new.

A wax on top, as described above, would be a quick easy fix, but won’t remove the patchiness.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 03:32   #15

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neziak View Post
Do you wipe on neat varnish or dilute it with thinner first? If the latter what ratio? Thanks
Neziak, I usually apply the varnish diluted about 10%. I wipe the surface down with acetone before varnishing. I should mention that I do this in my boat to maintain the interior varnish, which is in perfect condition. If you have any spots where the varnish has failed (and the wood is discoloured), you have to deal with those spots first I am really happy with the results in my boat- perfect, smooth finish with almost no effort.
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabin