Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 21:28   #1

Boat: C&C 40
How Much to Maintain Boat?

I seem to be paying an exorbitant price for maintaining my boat (though everything with a boat seems that way) .... So to get an idea, not to be rude but, how much do you guys pay annually?
CnC40sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 23:49   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
re: How Much to Maintain Boat?

How much you pay per year is really highly variable based on make/model/year and use of the boat.

But there are ways to significantly reduce your costs and they involve not buying stuff from "marine supply houses" whenever possible. Usually RV (recreational vehicle - campers/caravan, etc.) type stores carry the same types and sometimes the exact same item for less than "marine stores."

Then there are the home warehouse stores that have lots of stuff in the really basic areas like plumbing and electrical fixtures that are less expensive. However be wary that the standards for electrical wiring, etc. are considerably different between the marine world and land world so a lot of stuff is not properly usable.

Then there are lots of marine "flea market" or used marine parts stores all around which have left-over and recycled parts at quite attractive prices compared to "new" in a marine supply store.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:40   #3

Thanks for the comment. I have been looking for ways to save on the internet ( just general rules for everyone to follow), and it recommends buying sale items in bulk which, to me, seems a fairly simple idea to follow through on. On another point, it seems that buying things on the internet is always cheaper, and if you buy enough, it is possible to bypass the shipping and handling fees.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:28   #4
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CnC40sailor View Post
I seem to be paying an exorbitant price for maintaining my boat (though everything with a boat seems that way) .... So to get an idea, not to be rude but, how much do you guys pay annually?
I think most people won't admit the real figure - even to self .

Me is not yet on simply annual maintanence, but when I do get there it will be low (well, that's what I tell myself! toys and shiney things won't be counted of course). But until then......I have no idea of the figure to date - somewhere between not much and too much .

To be honest would have been far far cheaper (and a lot quicker!) to have done me refit whilst flying a desk (for the time I have actually spent - admittedly half of that time has been spent snoozing onboard, and the other half pondering over things ) and instead paying someone else - but where would the fun be in that?.........probably involving a lot of actual sailing
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:41   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i do not pay retain nor do i hire at 85+dollars per hour. i donot spend more than i HAVE to to keep my boat running much less repair stuff left undone by the last 4 owners. is getting done correctly with min bux spending.
never pay retail, keep an eye on the maintenance folks as they maynot be doing good job--i have seen that result in helping others find their dream boats--lol--you dont show up--maintenance is crap. expensive crap.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:50   #6

Zip, zero, nada... Old small boat and a very handy skipper. I do ALL of my maintenance and repair...I would'nt/couldn't sail IF I was in your shoes..

good luck

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:54   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CnC40sailor View Post
I budget $500 a month. For most of the first year, that went into some fixes, updates, and maintenance. For the second year, I've been spending it mostly on upgrades like electronics and bringing lines back to the cockpit. I think that sum is looking like a reasonable long-term goal.

For the next year, it's looking like most of it will be going in the bank for the rainy-day fund (famous last words eh?) Just how long can a 28 year old diesel last?

31ft boat built in 1984. She was well maintained when I bought her but in need of some updates to equipment.

Like Zeehag said, paying people to do stuff sucks up the budget fast. DIY for me unless the job is too great.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:02   #8

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

Like Mr Bates I have a small trailer sailor. I pay 2200/ year for slip.

I spent about $700 last year on a new radio and sail repair.

I bought an anchor light this year $40. Sail cover repair $40.

Before last year I kept the boat on the trailer and the cost was 900/year to keep it near the lake.

Seven years ago I kept it at the house and spent nothing.
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:05   #9

Boat: Catalina 350

I just had a BIG year as I replaced main and jib sail ($4k) so I sat down and calculated every penny I had spent on my boat.

$14,377

That was sails, portable generator, new outboard, taxes, insurance, Boat US, slip, bottom cleaning, fuel, moorings, and misc west marine, west marine and west marine.

Most other years it has been $5-7K.

I live on the boat during the week when working and if I did not own it a rental property would be minimum $1k a month (in a non pretty area) and I would have to buy some furniture on top of that.

So even in a bad year I'm propping up the economy by buying goods and services (locally/US if possible) and I'm still coming out in front.

I wish I had bought a bigger boat.
cuthbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:22   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by CnC40sailor
26 foot boat, moored or in a slip for the last 5 years has cost about $400 a month all in including mooring fees, insurance, reegistrations, maintenance and upgrades.

Major upgrades and maintenance have included, new furling genny, new main traveler, new head, 3 batteries, used replacement ST60 speed and depth, new compass, new foreestay, repaired shrouds, most all blocks on deck replaced, new nav lights, paint cockpit, anti fouling 3 times.

The diesel engine has died, I bought an outboard for temporary propulsion ($1200) and the diesel overhaul I am budgeting $4,000. These will definitely raise the monthly spend by about $1,000 yr or $80 odd a month.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:00   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates
Zip, zero, nada... Old small boat and a very handy skipper. I do ALL of my maintenance and repair...I would'nt/couldn't sail IF I was in your shoes..

good luck

It's not a matter of being unhandy, it is more or less the JOB that does not allow me the time to do it myself. I can handle the basics and figure out other problems with the help of the internet. The fact of the matter is, with a 40ft boat, you can't do it all yourself.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:10   #12

I have my boat hauled 2 times a year, (once over the winter, and a quick stint in the summer). Over the winter session I have her shrink wrapped and begin preparation for the next season. Over the summer, I spray paint the bottom with a quality racing paint. Last year I believe was a bit more expensive than average because I upgraded the spray painting guns. I usually do the engine work myself, and watch the mechanic if I can't figure it out.

Usually, the boat does not have many problems because I stay ahead of everything, and so do not spend much on hired labour
Old 12-07-2012, 12:23   #13
CLOD

Boat: none

I may be a pain lover as I keep track of what I spend on the floating money pit. Attached are costs NOT counting my boat payment and I do all my our work:
Attached Files
File Type: xls Rubber Ducky expensives.xls (23.5 KB, 107 views)
Old 12-07-2012, 13:17   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post

good luck
Let me know where to find all those free materials and components would you? I've been paying for them at the chandlers, knew I've been doing something wrong. I'd also like one of those everlasting engines and some of those everlasting sails.
Old 12-07-2012, 13:23   #15

Every time this subject comes up you get the usual unbelievably low answers.

For most of us the question is, how much does it cost to keep a middle aged cruising sailboat in the same condition as you bought it in - which means keeping equipment fairly up to date, replacing items when they are worn out, amortising the replacement cost of major items, and assuming you do as much DIY as you are comfortable with

I haven't seen any evidence that the standard rule-of-thumb of 20% of the value in the first year, and 10% in subsequent years, is way out of line.