Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2014, 16:37   #16

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: How much paint for cat hull?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
They're charging me $ 495 a gallon. Micron 66.
Wow, I recently paid about 1/2 that for Micron 66 imported into Panama.

Can you ship it in cheaper? I've done that in a few places.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2014, 16:41   #17

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaktisBoy View Post
I stand corected we got two coats with 4 gallons.
Yeah, thought that had to be a typo.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2014, 14:15   #18
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

I just stood there with the manager of the boat yard, one and a half hours ago who took a good look at the hull and said that in his experience, to do these properly would take 2 to 2.5 gallons per hull.

I told him that I asked this question on an online forum, and got a lot of feedback and that the general consensus seemed to be something like a gallon per hull per coat.

He said anyone who got one hull covered correctly with Micron 66 with one gallon got ripped off by the yard who thinned the paint to make it stretch further. Goes on smooth and pretty, but thin. With paint thickness, you get what you pay for?
Old 18-11-2014, 16:04   #19

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

I put our Micron 66 on myself.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2014, 16:18   #20

New custom 45' powercat . Micron Extra, we are on track to use 6 gals to do 3 full coats with an extra coat in high wear areas.
Capt Hugh Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2014, 16:44   #21

I put our Micron 66 on myself. For clarity, it took on average 1.25 gallons for BOTH hulls, not just one. The first coat used 1.5 gallons and subsequent coats used 1 gallon. I have painted our boat myself many times with these quantities.

I think that any boatyard manager who says you need that quantity is ripping off the customer. However, I don't know the surface area of your hulls - they may be large enough to require that amount. You can make a good estimate of your hull surface area and then look at Micron's coverage chart.

Try LWL x (WL beam of one hull + draft). So, for example, if your LWL is 38' and the beam of a hull at the waterline is 5' and your draft is 4', then the total surface area for the boat would be 38(5+4)=342 square feet.

Micron states it covers 288sf per gallon, so if the above estimates are close, you would need 1.2 gallons for a single coat of your entire boat.

Ask the yard manager to do the measurements and math himself. That is what professionals are supposed to do - not guess.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 18-11-2014, 17:17   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Try LWL x (WL beam of one hull + draft). So, for example, if your LWL is 38' and the beam of a hull at the waterline is 5' and your draft is 4', then the total surface area for the boat would be 38(5+4)=342 square feet.

Micron states it covers 288sf per gallon, so if the above estimates are close, you would need 1.2 gallons for a single coat of your entire boat.

Mark
1. Those calcs are for a single hull so you need to double it. So that would be 680 sq ft for both hulls - requiring about 2.4 gal for the entire hull.

2. I also think that your WLB + draft could be a bit light:
A round bottom and straight sides would make a semicircle of 2.5ft in radius plus 1.5ft for each straight side = pi #2.5 + 1.5 + 1.5 = 10.8 linear feet rather than your 5+4=9. That's probably a fair compromise between a sharp bow and a fat *rse on a cat.

So I'd round it up to 3 gal for the complete hull to be on the safe side.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2014, 19:08   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
1. Those calcs are for a single hull so you need to double it. So that would be 680 sq ft for both hulls - requiring about 2.4 gal for the entire hull.

2. I also think that your WLB + draft could be a bit light:
A round bottom and straight sides would make a semicircle of 2.5ft in radius plus 1.5ft for each straight side = pi #2.5 + 1.5 + 1.5 = 10.8 linear feet rather than your 5+4=9. That's probably a fair compromise between a sharp bow and a fat *rse on a cat.

So I'd round it up to 3 gal for the complete hull to be on the safe side.
No, for a single hull the equation would be 0.5xLWLx(BWL+D). I already multiplied it by two in my equation by leaving out the 0.5 multiplier.

I can only guess at WLB and draft for his boat. 5' WLB would be a beamy hulled cat. Even using your 10.8 number, he will only need 1.4 gallons for the whole boat instead of 1.2 - still much less than he was quoted.

These lower numbers are also in the ballpark of what those of us with similar sized catamarans are using.

Mark

Old 18-11-2014, 19:16   #24

So I looked up the Catalac 12M specs. LWL is 35' and draft is 3'. From the looks of the pictures I find, I'm guessing the BWL to be ~5'.

Plugging these in gives a surface area of 280sf - one gallon should do a coat of the entire boat.

Again, let the yard manager measure the surface area, look up Micron's coverage specs and explain any difference.

Mark

Old 19-11-2014, 08:29   #25
One of Those

[QUOTE=colemj;1681230

Again, let the yard manager measure the surface area, look up Micron's coverage specs and explain any difference.

Mark[/QUOTE]

That's just not really an option. There's no "letting" the Manager ( not "yard manager") explain anything he doesn't feel like explaining. It's basically these are the prices, do you want the boat painted or not.
Old 19-11-2014, 08:42   #26

Boat: Monk 36

My Leopard 40 took three gallons for two coats of Petit Vivid Blue last spring. Allowed a little extra coating on leading edges.
dpddj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 09:11   #27

Then I guess it does not matter how much paint it takes.

Mark

Old 19-11-2014, 09:45   #28
One of Those

Yeah, it does.
Old 19-11-2014, 11:03   #29

Maybe we're missing something. Does the price include the application of the paint?
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 11:28   #30
One of Those

No, 'sanding and painting' is another line item, $19 a foot x 40 ft. (catamaran) for an additional $760.

Really, my only question was whether it seemed reasonable to anticipate the costs of 4.5 gallons for one coat, 9 gallons for two coats. This is the first time we've had the boat painted in the two years since we brought it down. So I have no frame of reference or experience in how much of a financial hit this is going to be every couple of years. Hence my questions.

And I thank you for the replies. I should know in a day or so how many gallons they used.

Alternatives all involved something in the undefined future at some undisclosed location.

anyone ever think of taking the degaussing coils out of an old MCM boat and using them to generate a magnetic field that would attract tin based paint underwater?

No? Shucks. A travel lift it is, then.

Tags
hull, paint