Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2022, 04:26   #91
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
How much LPG (Propane/Butane) do cruising yachts carry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
Thanks very much--it's as I thought. I have a variety of fittings for directly filling one tank from another, and some fittings with hoses; I'll just need to get the local adaptors in each place.

In general In Europe a trip to a local hardware shop will sort you out.
Old 12-05-2022, 04:55   #92

Boat: Hunter 340
Re: How much LPG (Propane/Butane) do cruising yachts carry?

My wife and I carry 3 x 5lb propane tanks while cruising. Each tank lasts about 3 weeks.
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 09:20   #93

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
Thanks very much--it's as I thought. I have a variety of fittings for directly filling one tank from another, and some fittings with hoses; I'll just need to get the local adaptors in each place.
Try decanting in a lot of marinas and they will set the dogs on you.

About 8 years ago I was just about to put the kettle on when there was a great whoosh and a roar.

Dills 2 boats away had a local tank hanging from the boom and were trying to decant into their tank in the cockpit.

That could have proven 'interesting'.
Old 12-05-2022, 17:55   #94

Boat: account closed

cruising florida to trinidad, south and central america.
-daily stove use for meals and tea

- frequent oven usage, baked bread every week and love a good cobbler every few nights.
-gas fired charcoal grill almost nightly

-gas fired hot water heater (large consumer) for showers, after diving rinses, dishes, and cuppa soup and oatmeal on long cold night watches.

2 x 5kg bottles = 6 weeks.

real propane. beware particularly in isolated bits of columbia, panama, and honduras you will get a lot of butane mixes. These don't go as far.

Access to fills required minimal planning and in ten years we never left a place cause we were low on propane. Frankly, granite coast of NovaScotia was tougher than caribbean and still no problem.

cheerio
kubota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2022, 12:47   #95

Boat: Cal25 - Mark II

Full time liveaboard. 34ft sailing cat. Carry 1 20 lb steel, 3 10 lb composites and 1 30 lb steel ( exclusively to run Little Buddy heater during chills. Spend winters in Miami, FL (anchor out) and summers in Myrtle Beach, SC (in Marina).
Also have 120 volt AC with built in electric furnace when plugged in. So propane heat mostly when traveling during May-June and Nov-Dec.
Buy propane usually twice while in FL and twice while in SC. Usually 30 lbs each time. Filled the 30lb when I bought it (2 1/2 years ago) not since).
MHTinkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2022, 20:36   #96

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

In our 25 years on this boat we have carried two 10 lb tanks. Boiling coffee in the AM, grilling for lunch, normal cooking at dinner ( 2-3 burners, occasionally the oven) we’ll typically get about three weeks before we switch tanks. If we have to run the heater in cold weather that really cuts into time per tank. You can calculate what it will consume. Our Force Ten is rated at 5,000 BTU/hr. A typical robertshaw burner is about 15,000 max, the oven a little more. I don’t know the BTU content of a pound (or gallon, whichever) of propane. But smarter people than me do. They’re all over this forum.

Tags
cruising, propane, yacht