Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2022, 05:33   #16

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43
Re: How much LPG (Propane/Butane) do cruising yachts carry?

Our experience on consumption seems to be an outlier. This past summer we lived aboard for 110 days. We ate very few dinners ashore, and virtually no breakfasts or lunches. My wife enjoys cooking, including the occasional oven.

We carry two 10 lb tanks. We had probably 5 lb left in the second tank on our return. That works out to about 4 lb, or under 2 kg per month.

This summer will be closer to 150 days. In addition to the two 10 lb tanks, we will carry two 1 lb camp bottles and an adapter.
sailingharry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2022, 05:52   #17

Boat: Boatless

We cruised for 11 years in 20 countries between Nova Scotia and Northern Japan using 2 20lb gas bottles and never had a problem finding gas.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2022, 05:56   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kaufman 47, Cutter

Due to the width of the propane locker, we carry two Worthington aluminum 6# (1.4 Gallon) tanks. I also stash a few 1lb tanks with an adapter for backup if needed. We have a Dickinson Mediterranean stove and cook daily. One tank lasts for about three weeks. Getting refills, even in Key West, was not available near the marinas.
michaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2022, 05:58   #19

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

My boat has a spot under port helm with 2 x 12. We use the stove. I actually bake in it. I added a charcoal filter to eat BACON cooking and such. We bbq several times a week the two tanks last a Month. I’m lucky enough to usually top one up.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2022, 06:29   #20

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

If having the big locker isn't compromising space for something else, I'd say it's not too big. Inconvenience of dealing with propane refills in some places is often one of the things that comes up in electric cooking threads, so I'd say having more capacity is better and mitigates that issue. If you're going to be in an area where getting a bottle filled is hard, but you can carry 3 months worth of propane, you may be able to just not worry about it.

Plus, 9kg / 20lb tanks are a very common size, so if you can't get a tank refilled somewhere for whatever reason and had to use an exchange tank from a place that handles propane for grills, it'll fit in the locker.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2022, 21:58   #21

Boat: Endeavourcat 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
When I constructed the self draining LPG locker I made it big enough to accommodate two 9kg bottles thinking that would be realistic.

But when I melted down 3 tonne of lead I was astonished at how much lead a 9kg bottle melted (Maybe 1 tonne!) I've heard that gas is not available in many remote (off the beaten track) islands.

But is carrying 2X 9kg bottles ridiculous?
We carry 2 x 9kg for cooking - easy and quick changeover when you run out part way through cooking dinner - and another 9kg on the back to run the bbq. Getting lpg, even in Australia, when you’re cruising and have no car at hand, can be difficult and hard work. Cruising internationally gas fittings can pose a problem. Two x 9kg is not too much.
CapnBazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2022, 22:10   #22
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
When I constructed the self draining LPG locker I made it big enough to accommodate two 9kg bottles thinking that would be realistic.

But when I melted down 3 tonne of lead I was astonished at how much lead a 9kg bottle melted (Maybe 1 tonne!) I've heard that gas is not available in many remote (off the beaten track) islands.

But is carrying 2X 9kg bottles ridiculous?
I have two 20 pound tanks onboard and have never run out. That is overkill for my use. Much depends on your use but I would always recommend two tanks to be able to continue until you get to a refill station.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 02:48   #23

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40

Been cruising around Oz the last 7 months and the 9kg last about 3 months.

If you have a dedicated locker note that the 9kg gas bottles in Australia do vary in size slightly. Our 2 x 9kg bottles are built into the pushpit and I had to cut the top SS band to get some exchange bottles in. Then to add complication, we also have a dedicated gas locker which I assume is designed for European gas bottles, which are taller and skinner. No way will the 9kg bottles fit into the locker, they will not even fit through the hatch. Make a nice rubbish locker though.

Ilenart
ilenart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 03:30   #24

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Yes, the European gas bottle size is 11kg compared to ours at 9kg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-05-01 at 18-38-15 LPG Gas Bottles - Sizes Supagas.png
Views:	43
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	256920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-05-01 at 18-32-09 Propane Gas Cylinder Specifications.png
Views:	59
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	256921  

coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 05:02   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Yes, the European gas bottle size is 11kg compared to ours at 9kg
There really does not seem to be any standardisation in Europe, it just varies from county to country, and even within one country.

Try and make your propane locker and the tie-down/restraining system for the bottles as versatile as possible so you can fit a wide range of sizes.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 05:16   #26

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
There really does not seem to be any standardisation in Europe, it just varies from county to country, and even within one country.

Try and make your propane locker and the tie-down/restraining system for the bottles as versatile as possible so you can fit a wide range of sizes.

If I ever made it to Europe or the US couldn't I have MY bottles filled? (Maybe at the marina?)
(I've noted the problems of not being allowed to carry the bottles on trains, buses and taxis)

In Australia these days the bottles are exchanged although I know a couple of filling stations (They'd be few and far between though)
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 05:18   #27

propane is the most common global cooking fuel. It is available everywhere for all practical purpose.
LNG-compressed gas- is hard outside the US.
2 gas bottles are fine- allowing the conscious choice to seek a refill when bottle one is empty. Obvious management style will dictate how often one needs to be concerned.
boat driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 05:23   #28

A rule of thumb is 1 pound (1/2 kg) per person per week, for cooking (20 meals). BBQ uses a bit more, heaters way more. Adjust accordingly.
Rough Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 05:26   #29

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

We lived aboard full time in the Caribbean for 6 years. Had 2 20lb tanks (~9kg ea) and consistently found that one tank would last 3 months. That meant that when the first tank ran out, we had 3 months to find a place to get it filled. Worked out fine for us and we cooked every day and my wife baked bread 2-3 times per week.
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 05:29   #30

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmojo View Post
We lived aboard full time in the Caribbean for 6 years. Had 2 20lb tanks (~9kg ea) and consistently found that one tank would last 3 months. That meant that when the first tank ran out, we had 3 months to find a place to get it filled. Worked out fine for us and we cooked every day and my wife baked bread 2-3 times per week.
Forgot to say, we had a separate 10lb tank for the BBQ grill. It seemed to last about 3 months also using it maybe 2 times per week. If it ran out, I could hook up the 2nd 20lb tank for temporary BBQ use but I don't remember this happening more than once.
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, propane, yacht