Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 17:24   #1

Boat: 1981 Endeavour 37 & 1990 MacGregor 26 Classic
How Many of You Hate Making up the V-Berth???

Not real sure which forum to put this in so please move it if it should be some place else.

I'm the one that gets the job of making up the V-berth bed in both boats and I've never liked it. First we started with full size sheets and blankets and they were a pain to get tucked under the mattress and you had all of that extra material.

Then we cut the sheets and blankets to better match the V-Berths shape and that helped but I still had to climb up in there and try and do the job.

Well that is a thing of the past now I can make the bed in the Endeavour standing up at the head of the bed and in the MacGregor pretty much the same way. I'm sure someone else must of done this so I'm not saying that it is original, but it sure is handy.

The 3 pages of pictures and info starts here...

Canvas Mods page 15

...but I'll summarize below.

The key to this working is cutting the mattress into 3 sections...

... and making covers for them. We have been sleeping in both boats on a mattress configuration like this for the past couple years and it feels like one continuous mattress under you.

Next step is to ...

...cut big hunks out of the fitted bottom sheet then...

sew it back together.

Next cut the top sheet and hem it so ...

...that it is wide enough to go over you but get rid of all of the access material. Then attach a slip cover to the ....

...end of it like above (sorry for the color change, but the sheet was cut & sewed the same).

To put the sheets on you start like above and you can bring the foot mattress back to you where you are standing at the berth. Put the cover on the mattress like above and leave the top sheet off to the right.

Next pull the bottom sheet over the foot mattress and let the elastic band pull some of the top sheet back under the mattress section like above. Notice that the top sheet is still off to the right.

Here is how things look at this point. You don't need it all laying out like above. I did that so that it is easier to see what is going on.

Next you just fold the top sheet back over the bottom sheet and the mattress. At this point you can take the mattress section with attached sheets and slide it forward on the V-Berth platform. Slide it in a ways and then take the second mattress section and lay it on the platform and pull the fitted sheet around the sides and under it. Then slide it and the foot section forward some more into the V-berth. Finish by doing the same with the last mattress section.

Now you just made the bed without getting into it. We also cut top blankets like the top sheet (with no sleeve at the bottom). If it is cold put how many blankets on the top of the sheets/mattresses as you slide them forward

This is one of the most practical things we have done to the boat. No extra bedding down at the foot. The top sheet doesn't pull out down there and you can make the bed standing up in the cabin. You can make the bed in less time than it takes to read the above. We love it or should I say that I really love it as making the bed is my job.

Again more pictures and info starting here....

Canvas Mods page 15

Sum
Sumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 17:31   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: How Many of You Hate Making up the V-Berth???

Brilliant........If we didn't already have new foam I'd do this in a heartbeat!!!!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 17:37   #3

Boat: Ohlson 38

Very clever! It looks like it would make making the bed much easier, although whether on land or sea I rarely make my bed so I'll have to take your word on it. Yes, I'm a slob.
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 17:38   #4

Everything is well writtenand very usefull, thanks for taking the time.
RonaldJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 18:01   #5
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldJ View Post
Everything is well writtenand very usefull, thanks for taking the time.
+1
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote