Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2017, 17:43   #16

Re: How do you store your tools on the boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Out in the cockpit is the designated "toxic locker" for paints, epoxies, fluids, etc.
Aha! A kindred spirit. I call ours the "toxic waste dump!"
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 17:57   #17

I use my nav station flip-up table to store my daily tools. Many people have charts there, 'cuz it's called a nav station! I put a hatch holder on the opening lid, so it's a one hand operation to open and close it. I put in an expandable BIG kitchen utensil divider (not molded for utensil shapes, just vertical sides) which takes up 80% of the space, and on the sides are smaller plastic boxes holding smaller pieces of stuff (like zincs for the HX) and my autopilot head. I find it incredibly easy to use, and compare it to the dust and BS that I see in my friends' boats (winch handles down below, who would do that?!?).

I have a separate plastic box of ratchet/socket/drivers, and a separate soft tool bag with electrical stuff.

Parts and pieces are stored in drawers, cubbies and cabinets. I "know" where they all are. I once did a diagram of all the stuff, re-checked it recently, and stuff hasn't moved in 17 years. We've had the boat for 19 years, but the first two were "training days."

Good luck, you'll find something that works for you.

PS - I am repeatedly amazed when friends, altogether too often, say "I don't have those tools on my boat." Why not??? It makes me incredulous. Where the hell are the tools if not in the place where you'd actually use them?!? I am one of those folks who have more tools on the boat than I have at home. I hate farming.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 18:05   #18

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

Across from my engine room is a work bench with drawers under it. On the bench are battery chargers for cordless tools and an amo box with the basic every day tools.
In the drawers are everything else categorized by mechanical, wood, electrical. As well as adhesives, abrasives, rigging, parts, fittings and fasteners. All the tools, a couple of rechargeable lights and some fuel additives live right there. Very convenient.
Oil and spare parts are on shelves above the entrance to the engine room. So are the diapers.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 18:47   #19

Boat: Hanse, 400e - 40ft

Plastic bins with lids - like so many others have said, I have my "everyday" bin which contains, a number of screw drivers, 2 small crescent wrenches, 2 vise grips, SAE & Metric allen wrenches, electrical tape, etc. Then task specific bins for electrical & plumbing and finally the "catchall" bin. Also have dedicated bins for engine maintenance (filters, 3M pads, associated wrenches, etc.), spare parts, etc.

The everyday & electrical are easy access, the engine maintenance bin is stored in the port lazarette along with diesel jugs, and other "nasties" the other bins are stacked in the starboard lazarette with our other stores.
Old 19-08-2017, 19:23   #20

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Every day or quick grab tools in a small plastic case plus two small canvas tool bags, one for screwdrivers and the other for wrenches and pliers.

Small tubs for screws and separate one for nuts and bolts and another one for shackles and blocks.

Big plastic tubs with lids labeled on top and on one side for each specialty. Glues and tapes, Electrical, Plumbing, Engine tools and Parts and Outboard parts, Sail Repair and Canvas, General including woodworking and bench vise misc.

Even separated like this I have to keep a spread sheet listing the contents and inventory of each tub.

Now I only need to find that book that tells me which end of the screwdriver to hold.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 22:19   #21

Boat: Chinook 34

I store my emergency engine wrenches (sizes 14, 10) in drawers next to the engine compartment. My other non-emergency tools (all-in-one, wrench set, socket set, dremel) I store under the benches. See pic.Click image for larger version

Name:	20170819_220234.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	154429
Caolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 23:24   #22
cruiser

We have a shop onboard, but most of the tools are stored in three of these Husky 14 inch large mouth soft tool bags. Easy to grab and use anywhere on the boat and won't mar the teak cabin sole.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1573.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	408.0 KB
ID:	154430  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 03:26   #23

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.1

For Tools:

Tools are stored in several large zippered heavy-duty cordura tool bags with one general category of tool in each bag. Smaller zippered cordura bags inside the large ones organize sub-categories and keep smaller tools together. The smaller bags are color-coded to make selection of said sub-categories easier.

Power tools are kept in individual specifically-sized cordura bags, one for each tool; the socket set resides in the original box; no better way to organize than that. Very large tools are kept in dedicated stowage spaces.

Bags tend not to break things and people when things start to slide about when you're using them and the zipper closures ensure that things stay inside. They are also easier to stow in easily accessible locations.

For Small Parts and Supplies:

Parts are organized in tackle boxes, which are stored on a dedicated series of shelves in the aft stateroom. The boxes are categorized and labeled for ease of identification and access.

For Large Parts and Supplies:

Larger containers of chemicals are stored in a dedicated cabinet near the galley. Large parts and materials are stowed under the (very roomy) aft bunk. The bunk has cubbies and larger parts are categorized therein.
hafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 04:34   #24

Boat: F&C 40

I like waterproof ammo boxes, I use small plastic bins and tool rolls inside them to keep the tools organized.
I also put cork on the bottoms.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ammo box.PNG
Views:	199
Size:	284.8 KB
ID:	154436  
djsaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 07:34   #25

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

In a tool box. No system of organization survives long. I gave it up. The ones that get used the most tend to rise to the top.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 07:58   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Southern Cross 31

those ammo boxes look the business, that would be ideal, unfortunately, in the UK I would struggle to get ammo boxes, and If I imported them, the authorities might invest some time and manpower in finding out what I was doing with them.
atlantical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 08:28   #27

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Employ much of the above including riggers bag. Helps to have cabin dedicated as workshop but know that is not practical for most. One thing I do is get HF cheap tools and have them stashed near specific applications. Battery terminals. Specific wrenches for bleeding fuel system, etc. Also dinghy bag with tools included. Hardest part is getting rid of excess spares that are duplicates and will never use. I hate to throw anything away.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 08:52   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caolan View Post
I store my emergency engine wrenches (sizes 14, 10) in drawers next to the engine compartment. Attachment 154429

Thank you Caolan for that suggestion. I already keep key engine replacement parts right there and I will add a couple spare wrenches.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 09:02   #29

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Aha! A kindred spirit. I call ours the "toxic waste dump!"
Use small cooler for that.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 11:04   #30

Boat: Island Packet 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
I am one of those folks who have more tools on the boat than I have at home.
Yes, indeed - I suppose you know you're addicted to sailing, when you are at home and the tool you need - is on the boat....
PlumBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat