Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2017, 11:08   #31

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Re: How do you store your tools on the boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlumBob View Post
Yes, indeed - I suppose you know you're addicted to sailing, when you are at home and the tool you need - is on the boat....

Isn't that the way it's supposed to be?
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 11:56   #32

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

I have mine in 3 separate pelican 1400 cases. Depending on frequency of use. BTW -- I have about 40 of theses cases for sale $35 apiece plus shipping. Lifetime warranty. I love these things
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pelican 1400 Camera.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	382.8 KB
ID:	154464  
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 12:02   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

I keep a lot of tools onboard, in a Craftsman 6 drawer toolbox with drawers that latch closed so they do not open when the boat rolls.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 13:52   #34

Boat: Valiant 40

Everyday tools are in a small size riggers bag. I go by weight...when it gets beyond a certain weight I know it's time to cull it's contents. Refinishing (scrapers, sanding blocks, chip brushes, razors, etc) are also in a small riggers bag. Sandpaper I keep in a plastic accordion letter file. SUPER convenient as it's all sorted by grit and type, won't scratch anything, and is very compact.

"Second line" tools go in a larger riggers bag. All the stuff I use less than frequently but more than infrequently.

Electrical tools are in a small zippered tool bag from home depot, largely because it's just the right size. Although I'm sure the zipper will rust soon...

I have a dedicated small set of tools in the engine compartment for frequent tasks, in a tool roll flat against a bulkhead with velcro to hold the flap down. Last place I want tools flying around. I do this so I'm not hunting through my bag of sockets or box wrenches but also because getting into my engine compartment, which is a form of boat limbo, and then finding I forgot something, is really annoying.

Electric tools are in dry bags.

Screws, bolts, nuts, washers, small plumbing bits, electrical connectors etc are in Plano boxes in a custom made to fit box, front side up with labels so I can just pull out the one I need.

The only thing I use bins for are adhesives, rigging tools and line and cord, and bigger plumbing parts like rebuild kits for pumps. I hate bins because they take up so much space and are unwieldy to access and grab what you need.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 17:26   #35

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Hd,
When not sailing from a marina and living aboard full-time, we have devoted half of our quarter berth(34-foot boat) to tool storage. I keep my power tools/large hand tools/saws, small vise, etc. in a large plastic/rubber container with a sealable lid. I have a plastic see-through hardware box, a rigging box, an engine and electrical parts box, a hose compartment, plumbing parts, and really just about anything I need to fix my boat. I have had only two mechanical breakdowns in over 18K miles--both of which I fixed on board although I had to order parts from the States. I keep the heavy stuff on the centerline of the boat and the lighter stuff close to the starboard hull. The more "useful" tools you can carry . . . the better. However, it should be stated that I am very detail oriented and my boat is always mechanically sound before heaving the lines-- a practice many "cruisers" we have encountered over the years seem to neglect. Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 20-08-2017, 20:15   #36

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Aha! A kindred spirit. I call ours the "toxic waste dump!" [emoji2][emoji2][emoji2]
Yes, I think cruising boats should be designed w one!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2017, 02:32   #37

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd002e View Post
I have about half of the carrying capacity of my boat allocated for tools. It is a smorgasbord of metric and imperial, old and new, 110 and 12V as well as a collection of spares and old samples. I have been dreaming about building or somewhat retrofitting one of those tool chests that you see mechanics use in garages where weight and space are of little concern but practicality gets in my way.

For the time being I have things categorized as:
- daily tools (favorite drivers, allen wrenches etc) - in soft bag
- going aloft bag (rigging tools) - in soft bag
- other heavy tools (things for the engine, sockets, wrenches, etc..) - in tool bag
- epoxy tools and materials (resin, hardner, tape, mat, filler, syringes, etc) - in a plastic tub
- electrical tools and materials (connector, crimp, multimeter, solder, cable, fuse etc) - soft bag
- painting tools and materials (brush, paint) - soft bag
- adhesives (all tapes and sealents go here) - soft bag
- adrasives (sand paper, wire brushes) - soft bag
- machine screws (by the hundreds) - clear compartment box
- screws (thing that go into wood) - same size compartment box as above
- splicing, sail and canvas repair (needles, thread, zipper, straps etc) - soft bag
- plumbing (hose clamps by the hundreds, valves, connectors, hoses, etc) - clear heavyduty ziplock bag

I store these in cabinets and under settees withthe daily bag being the easiest accessible.

I would live to hear and see how you guys go about storing and organizing.
I use what are called 'bungee boxes'. There are a clear plastic storage box of varying size, with the lid secured on four corners (or two for the smaller ones) by a bungee, or elastic cord.

For spare parts, they are located under the sole next to where they are needed - engine spares next to engine, water pump spares next to pressure system, desal spares next to desal etc. Saves a lot of cataloging.

For other things, they live in the lazarettes. A box for masking tape, measuring cups, sand paper etc. A box for brushes etc, a box for cans of varnish, teak sealer etc.

For tools, most are in one multi-compartment plastic tool case (the type that opens up to reveal shelves etc), then other tools such as cordless polisher etc all go into canvas tool bags, and the cordless drill, multi-tool, jigsaw all go in their respective cases that they came with.

Next project is shelving to gain more vertical storage. Organised as best as possible, makes life easier.

David
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2017, 03:00   #38

Boat: Presto 36

I use several cheap 5 and 3 gal plastic buckets, with aftermarket waterproof Gamma Seal Lids(approx. $10 each). I also added several desiccant packs to each bucket for rust free storage.
Seabeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2017, 04:18   #39

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantical View Post
those ammo boxes look the business, that would be ideal, unfortunately, in the UK I would struggle to get ammo boxes, and If I imported them, the authorities might invest some time and manpower in finding out what I was doing with them.

Boatloads of similar boxes exist, but with more benign names. This one is called a "dry storage box":

Plano® Small Dry Storage Box : Cabela's

Probably similar stuff available to you...

-Chris
Old 31-08-2017, 06:50   #40

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

No bags. Except one in cockpit
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 06:54   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantical View Post
those ammo boxes look the business, that would be ideal, unfortunately, in the UK I would struggle to get ammo boxes, and If I imported them, the authorities might invest some time and manpower in finding out what I was doing with them.
You can order them from amazon.co.uk. I have a bunch of them and they are great for storing tools and parts. Unfortunately they cost 2x or 3x what you would pay for them in the States, but that's life in Blighty

They're made by Plano, so the same as used by the cousins across the water. You can buy cheaper versions without the gaskets, if you don't care about their being waterproof.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 08:01   #42

Boat: Camano Troll

"How do you store your tools on the boat?"

Not to be a smart ass, but I store them in a plastic (won't dent or rust) tool box.

Socket organizers and such take up a lot of room so I organize tools and keep them in zip lock plastic bags in the tool box. They get a shot of aerosol tool protector from time to time.
Old 31-03-2024, 01:39   #43

I love this post! Its my biggest frustration on board - how to be/stay organised especially when others are on board. Thanks for sharing ideas here, many of which will help me simplify my approach.

I created “Boat storage categories” for tools and spares and others and then allocate various storage spaces to that; the first word is the Category:
1. Deck (includes all teak, caulking, fittings attached to deck incl. winches, tracks, blocks, cleats, hatches, lifelines, stanchions, pushpit, pullpit, cockpit lazarettes)
2. Electrical (includes multimeter, battery systems and isolators, AC / DC power points, shore power, galvanic isolator, inverter, fuses, crimps, soldering, spares, interior and exterior lighting, portable generator, refrigeration, cooling fans) & Electronic (incl. nav instrumentation, tank level sensors)
3. Mechanical (includes engine, mounts, shaft, prop, alternator, instrumentation, diesel fuel supply, filters, belts, water cooling pump, fuel polishing setup, soundproofing) and outboard motor.
4. Plumbing (includes all through-hull seacocks, heads, bilge, calorifier, fresh water pumps, taps, shower heads)
5. Refrigeration - fridge, freezer, aircon and Cooking and BBQ incl. gas
6. Rigging (includes fixed and running rigging)
7. Safety (includes, life-raft and all emergency gear "to go”)
8. Sails (includes all sewing, sails, canvas work, sewing, sun covers, winter covers)
9. Tools incl. power tools drills, sanders, cutters, dremel, and hand tools
10. Interior (includes soft furnishing, interior storage, headlining, sole, oil and candle lamps)
11. Miscellaneous - various
12. Mooring & Anchoring incl mooring lines, chain, anchor, snubbers etc
13. Hull and integrity incl through-hulls, keel bolts
14. Painting & Varnishing (includes gluing, sanding, scraping)
15. Fabricating includes carpentry and glasswork
16. Leisure (includes swimming, diving, fishing, watersports)
17. Food and drinks
18. Bedding and towels - extensive use of vacuum bags!
Schapera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2024, 13:03   #44

Boat: a sailing boat

I use large plastic containers with screw on lids. Watertight. One for each type of works. Color coded. This mostly works well.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2024, 15:59   #45

Boat: Cheoy Lee, Alden Pilothouse 32

I have serveral 5-gallon buckets. Got a small cloth bag of silica and it keeps things pretty dry. (I leave that bag in the sun for a while if I get a chance)
coldfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat