Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2020, 08:35   #1
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36
How do you store your power tools onboard?

So i'm starting to build up a nice collection of power tools and wrenches etc. the socket sets and hand tools are easy to keep rust free or clean if the get some corrosion but the power tools which are obviously much more expensive to replace have internals i can see or easily clean.

fro now im storing them inside the cabin which is relatively safe environment but want to start putting them outside in the lazarette. do you guys wrap them in plastic bags or something to keep them protected from the salt air? for now i have them all in soft canvas bags which make it easy to squash them in place against the hull.
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 09:46   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: How do you store your power tools onboard?

Ziploc bags, can get the 2.5 gl size, if your really anal put some desiccant in the bag. Keep the canvas bags, just put the tool in a ziploc and that in the canvas bag, it will keep the ziploc from being torn so easily.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 09:54   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by er9 View Post
So i'm starting to build up a nice collection of power tools and wrenches etc. the socket sets and hand tools are easy to keep rust free or clean if the get some corrosion but the power tools which are obviously much more expensive to replace have internals i can see or easily clean.

fro now im storing them inside the cabin which is relatively safe environment but want to start putting them outside in the lazarette. do you guys wrap them in plastic bags or something to keep them protected from the salt air? for now i have them all in soft canvas bags which make it easy to squash them in place against the hull.
A wooden machinists tool chest bolted to a bulkhead works well
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C0BA46B5-21E2-4A59-8DCA-10FAEA855546.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	215054  
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 12:04   #4

If you mount your power tools onto the case of battery chargers or inverters the dry heat keeps your tools happy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ACEFFB3E-31FA-4E35-B343-540CAD807C47.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	230.2 KB
ID:	215068  
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 13:07   #5

Boat: Hallberg Rassy Rasmus

I have (and recommend) the Black + Decker Matrix kit - a cordless power unit with various attachments: drill, driver, reciprocating saw, jigsaw, oscillating multitool.
It's not professional grade, but does the job.

I keep it all in a HF waterproof case
https://www.harborfreight.com/4800-w...ack-64250.html

I also use a smaller version of the same case - 8x11- to keep all the boat documentation in
Old 15-05-2020, 10:25   #6

Boat: Grand Banks Europa 42

I've been using the Dewalt ToughSystem. Boxes have water seal and have worked well in a fresh water environment so far. Will be in salt water next year so we'll see. Concerned with how well the latches will hold up.

https://www.dewalt.com/products/stor...e/tough-system

Quote:
So i'm starting to build up a nice collection of power tools and wrenches etc. the socket sets and hand tools are easy to keep rust free or clean if the get some corrosion but the power tools which are System much more expensive to replace have internals i can see or easily clean.

walbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 12:11   #7

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Ziplocks or air tight containers work well. Lube any exposed metal like drill chucks with penetrating oil and wrap in cloth or paper towels. Spraying with Boeshield works well also.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 13:17   #8

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaseas View Post
Ziplocks or air tight containers work well. Lube any exposed metal like drill chucks with penetrating oil and wrap in cloth or paper towels. Spraying with Boeshield works well also.
I second the above recommenations. The big bogie man is salt air for which the zip lock bags are great. More sailors should recognize the value of Boeshied for protecting exposed metal - can't be beat. I'd rather carry Boeshield and White Lithium Grease than WD 40 anytime.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 15:22   #9

Boeshield on chucks and bits. Stick all your bits in a smaller bag and soak em with Boeshield.....works excellent. Do the same with your hand tools. I find so lang as hand tools stay in a toolbox, i don't get much rust. I take everything out of each tool box for a cleaning and a spray once a year. power tools and batteries go in a big zipolock after Boeshield. You can actually pull a vacuum using a small coffee stir stick as a tiny straw to suck the air out of the zip lock bag just as you close the final corner.
LooseGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 15:39   #10

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

The quality of the hand tools like wrenches and sockets also makes a huge difference. I was an auto mechanic so have Snap-on, MAC and similar which are hugely expensive but they have never rusted. I also have some West Marine and HomeDepot/Lowes stuff that rusted in short order. If you restrict air to them they last longer. Chromed seems to last longer than anything else. Stainless tools are worth the extra bucks if you can find them.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 16:26   #11

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
How do you store your power tools onboard?

I really do nothing special at all. In fact my bosch professional sander is in the cockpit right now along with my bosh pro jigsaw and angle grinder. Power tools are seldom an issue. Hand tools on the hand in my toolboxes kept inside love to rust up slowly on me.

Never heard of boeshield. ACF50 on the other hand is fantastic. Just canít seem to get hold of it outside of the UK or US.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2020, 12:33   #12

Boat: Island Packet 40

I have stored mine inside in the under saloon seating storage for about 20 years now without problems. Nothing like a wet bum with your coffee to remind you that errant waters about.

I used to have problems with files going rusty until I sewed up dome denim pockets and oil soaked them, water just runs off and does not wet anything.

Not a big fan of plastic bags of any sort. Water seems to be very good at making it's way in and the bags appear better at keeping it in than out and consequently draining and drying is prevented.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 23:04   #13

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:

Our lazarettes are dry, and I also have a number of power tools (Milwaukee 18V polisher, Bosch 10.8V multitool, Bosch 10.8V drill, Bosch 10.8V jigsaw, plus hot knife, soldering iron etc). I just store most of the tools in old cut-off jeans legs, then in soft canvas zip-up tool bags.
The 10.8V tools are currently in their plastic cases, but considering also storing them in another canvas bag. As you say, they squash in place against the hull sides nicely - and stay there.

I have never had a corrosion issue. In fact the 18V and 10.8V chargers are permanently mounted on a bulkhead down there, so I can just drop the battery in as required.

Boat is in the Med where it can get to freezing in Winter. We do have de-humidifiers in the cabins, but they are sealed from the lazarettes.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote