Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2019, 14:01   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: How do you eradicate a termite infestation

We discovered "dry wood" termites in our aft cabin back in 1988. They were first noticed by the appearance of their shedded wings laying about on the floor and then some small pin holes. Tenting seems to be an unnecessary task and expense when the boat can be easily sealed with the closing of through hulls and taped plastic sheeting over vents and companionways. After sealing our boat we called a local termite extermination company to apply their chemical treatment. We kept this same boat for about thirty years after this treatment and never had any return of these pests. We did ventilate the boat for about a week before we moved back aboard.
Old 04-01-2019, 15:06   #62

Boat: Dufour 35 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
We discovered "dry wood" termites in our aft cabin back in 1988. They were first noticed by the appearance of their shedded wings laying about on the floor and then some small pin holes. Tenting seems to be an unnecessary task and expense when the boat can be easily sealed with the closing of through hulls and taped plastic sheeting over vents and companionways. After sealing our boat we called a local termite extermination company to apply their chemical treatment. We kept this same boat for about thirty years after this treatment and never had any return of these pests. We did ventilate the boat for about a week before we moved back aboard.
You were lucky and observant to see what was a successful colonising flight shortly after the queen and winged alates arrived. The winged alates discard their flight wings and seek timber and moisture. Once the new queen is ensconsed in her new colony the new workers termites venture out to find out "how big is the tree."
Exit holes are unusual, mostly termites will seal openings in timber to preserve moisture. Some pest species "farm" synergistic fungal species in their workings and hence the success of some anti-fungal treatment strategies.
Exit holes are more likely to be from wood borers - anobium punctatum what we call Furniture beetle et al. We do however see "flight holes" in homes and trees after colonising flights
We often find extensive but minimally destructive workings in homes here as the new colony gets settled. The production of the Queen seems to depend on the success of the landing and the site found. Moisture and food sources confirmed, the Queen will then lay thousands, even millions of eggs and then then the destruction starts.
In homes, unless you can inspect every structural and non structural timber, the extent of the damage cannot be ascertained. Boats the same.
To the original poster,
There are so many boats for sale in our world, why would you get involved in what can (will?) be a long journey wracked with uncertainty?
inspectr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 23:59   #63

Boat: celestial 48

I bought my boat (Celestial 48) in Malaysia.It had had termites but by the time we got there they had all gone. The solution? Every stick of wood, including bulkheads, hull stiffening ribs and floor supports had been removed from the boat and burned and the bare hull fumigated.

Boat was termite free and cheap, but we had to build a new interior from scratch.

If you don't strip out the wood you will not be sure they are gone until several years have passed with no further sign. Also our new wood is treated - untreated wood is liable for re-infestation. Maybe if you like the boat offer what you would if she was a bare hull.
phetploy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 00:39   #64

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

I had termites in a house i rented once. Tapped on a 6 inch by 12 inch rafter where I saw some holes one day, my finger went in to the knuckle, like paper. If even the eradication will take 5 months, wow, I'd be super tense about that being my boat. Another thing, killing the colony is great, but I'd also be wondering about what a few kilos of rotting biomass will smell like in the Thai heat and humidity.... Even the most well-found boats give you enough headaches, one with termites would be a deal breaker for me.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 03:31   #65

I am really enjoying all your posts. Good information.

After seeing the damage they can do, I am almost paranoid of termites. I've made screens for my boat's dorades and keep the companionway screen door closed as much as possible. It helps keep rats out as well.

Long ago, I once lived in a drilling camp in East Kalimantan, Indonesia that had many houses that were severely infested with termites. But one of those houses didn't have a problem so I talked to the occupier of that house and he told me quite a story. He was an outdoor guy and done a lot of walking and trekking into the nearby countryside. On his trips, if he spotted a nest of leaf ants, he would carefully cut the branch with the nest down and bring it home. He had transplanted a nest of those big red vicious ants in all corners of his yard. When I visited his place, he showed me them walking across clotheslines and electric wires. If one didn't bother them, they wouldn't bother anyone but could give a nasty bite if aroused. He didn't have any young children. He claimed that his house earlier had termites but after moving in those ants, he wasn't bothered anymore. Those ants had eliminated the termite population.

I've seen infestations of those big red leaf ants living in trees in Singapore and people would make a fire ball with oil soaked rags on a long stick and burn them out. I wonder if the nearby houses had termite problems before or after.
Warren Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 03:51   #66

Boat: celestial 48

this was once a solid piece of wood
phetploy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 07:21   #67

Boat: CSY 33 Cutter

I recently had an infestation of drywood termites aboard my 33' CSY. I chose to use a fumigator. From my experience, there is a significant cost difference between a general exterminator and fumigator who actually did the work. The general exterminator quoted the job as requiring full tenting and costing $3200. I was able to locate the actual fumigator (who the exterminator would have sub-contracted to do the job anyway). He did a tape-and-seal of the boat and did the job for $950 cash.
Polar Opposite is offline   Reply With Quote