Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2020, 15:37   #1
Registered User

Join Date: May 2020
Location: Maryland
Boat: Noord Nederland Seahawk 31
Posts: 57
How do I strip some, not all, of my deck paint?

So I have been repainting the decks of my (steel) boat, and step one (after sanding) was 2 coats of 2-part epoxy (Amercoat 235 from PPG, to be exact) as a primer/barrier. Then, I put Interlux bright side polyurethane on top, on the edges, with the intention of sectioning off the middle for non-skid. However, when I put down my first piece of tape to define the shape for the non-skid, the interlux came off with the tape.

I'm not looking for diagnoses of why it didn't stick, or lectures about the importance of prep - I am looking for how to get it off. How do I get the Interlux all the way off in the places it didn't totally stick, without cutting into the layers of epoxy primer below? Is there a type of paint stripper that cuts polyurethanes, but not epoxies? If there isn't, and I have to sand (which I would really hope not to do, as I've already sanded this entire boat multiple times and am sick of it), is this a hand-sanding job and not a power-sanding job?

This is what it looks like right now. The white is the still-exposed epoxy paint where I intend to put non-skid, the tan is the polyurethane that needs to come off in some places.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3793.jpg
Views:	791
Size:	429.6 KB
ID:	225975  
KelseyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 15:51   #2
Registered User
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 23,137
Re: How do I strip some, not all, of my deck paint?

Boy that is a tough one. I hate the Brightsides. Tried to use it a couple of times and just dont like it. I wonder if there is a stripper that will take the poly off without effecting the epoxy based?
__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 15:59   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Coastal Virginia
Posts: 438
Images: 2
Re: How do I strip some, not all, of my deck paint?

Try scraping. Or light sanding maybe starting with 150 grit. You might get lucky.

I too will never use Brightside again. I found it did not last to my satisfaction.
__________________
Brent
S/V Second Star
Sparx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 16:07   #4
Registered User
 
Spot's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Minnesota, USA
Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy
Posts: 652
Re: How do I strip some, not all, of my deck paint?

My thoughts go first to pressure washing with a lower pressure tip. If you are slipped or anchored this is probably not as easy to do with controlling over spray and flying flakes.
__________________
Big dreams, small boats...
Spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 16:10   #5
Registered User

Join Date: May 2020
Location: Maryland
Boat: Noord Nederland Seahawk 31
Posts: 57
Re: How do I strip some, not all, of my deck paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
My thoughts go first to pressure washing with a lower pressure tip. If you are slipped or anchored this is probably not as easy to do with controlling over spray and flying flakes.
Unfortunately I don't have a power washer handy - do you think a good pressurized hose end might be enough, or useless?
KelseyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 16:13   #6
Registered User
 
LeaseOnLife's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: out cruising again, currently in Pacific - Mexico
Boat: Sailboat
Posts: 1,311
Re: How do I strip some, not all, of my deck paint?

Interlux brightside is a one part poly, correct? That should be sensitive to common paint strippers, while the underlying 2 part epoxy is not. I would start with trying a section with one of the lesser aggressive 'orange' strippers before going to stronger stuff.
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 16:22   #7
Registered User
 
Spot's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Minnesota, USA
Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy
Posts: 652
Re: How do I strip some, not all, of my deck paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelseyB View Post
Unfortunately I don't have a power washer handy - do you think a good pressurized hose end might be enough, or useless?
My first guess would be probably not, but there would be little harm in trying. If the polyurethane is coated but not sticking it might not take much.

It's not a fun problem, hopefully you find some way that is not too expensive or physically draining.
__________________
Big dreams, small boats...
Spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 16:27   #8
Registered User

Join Date: May 2020
Location: Maryland
Boat: Noord Nederland Seahawk 31
Posts: 57
Re: How do I strip some, not all, of my deck paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaseOnLife View Post
Interlux brightside is a one part poly, correct? That should be sensitive to common paint strippers, while the underlying 2 part epoxy is not. I would start with trying a section with one of the lesser aggressive 'orange' strippers before going to stronger stuff.
Perhaps CitriStrip?
KelseyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 17:30   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Southport CT
Boat: J/36
Posts: 1,476
Re: How do I strip some, not all, of my deck paint?

We gave Brightsides a trial on a section of our deck. It held up less than a week underfoot. Your learning even sooner that it doesn't work well on deck is actually a blessing - imagine if you had done your entire deck and found out two weeks later that it wasn't bonding well, after you had already painted the rest. We did our deck with 2-part Interlux paint about 15 years ago. It held up well for about 12 years, then started to look pretty shabby. We then tried Interdeck, to see if that would work. It was a bit better than Brightsides but still not good for much more than a season. We bit the bullet again at the start of this season and went to Awlgrip, adding Griptex for the nonskid. Since the prep work for one-part is essentially the same as for two-part, paying more for the two-part is well worthwhile. Instead of having to re-do the prep and pay for new paint perhaps every five years, we expect the our new Awlgrip to last perhaps another fifteen years.
One thing we learned - use short nap felt rollers instead of foam. The foam rollers disintegrate in the paint solvents after about two batches. The felt rollers last all day and can actually be cleaned and re-used if you have enough solvent and are so inclined.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 17:37   #10
Registered User

Join Date: May 2020
Location: Maryland
Boat: Noord Nederland Seahawk 31
Posts: 57
Re: How do I strip some, not all, of my deck paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
We gave Brightsides a trial on a section of our deck. It held up less than a week underfoot. Your learning even sooner that it doesn't work well on deck is actually a blessing - imagine if you had done your entire deck and found out two weeks later that it wasn't bonding well, after you had already painted the rest. We did our deck with 2-part Interlux paint about 15 years ago. It held up well for about 12 years, then started to look pretty shabby. We then tried Interdeck, to see if that would work. It was a bit better than Brightsides but still not good for much more than a season. We bit the bullet again at the start of this season and went to Awlgrip, adding Griptex for the nonskid. Since the prep work for one-part is essentially the same as for two-part, paying more for the two-part is well worthwhile. Instead of having to re-do the prep and pay for new paint perhaps every five years, we expect the our new Awlgrip to last perhaps another fifteen years.
One thing we learned - use short nap felt rollers instead of foam. The foam rollers disintegrate in the paint solvents after about two batches. The felt rollers last all day and can actually be cleaned and re-used if you have enough solvent and are so inclined.
I was planning on using Interdeck for the nonskid - do you think I need to scrap the Brightsides for the edges entirely, even if some of it is holding up and I was planning on just removing that which didn't? (I also have more Brightsides and it would be a bummer to waste). It won't be walked on, really, it's just for the toerail, seats of the cockpit (which will have teak seats overtop) and in between patches of nonskid.
KelseyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 09:57   #11
Registered User

Join Date: May 2020
Location: Maryland
Boat: Noord Nederland Seahawk 31
Posts: 57
Re: How do I strip some, not all, of my deck paint?

Well, in case anyone was curious, the answer is CitriStrip! It says to leave on for 30 minutes to 24 hours, but the poly was so weak, it came off after 15 minutes without damaging the epoxy below with just a plastic scraper.

Here's the proof from my test square:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3846.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	410.0 KB
ID:	226027  
KelseyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 12:33   #12
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Victoria B.C.
Boat: CS27
Posts: 2,385
Re: How do I strip some, not all, of my deck paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelseyB View Post
I was planning on using Interdeck for the nonskid - do you think I need to scrap the Brightsides for the edges entirely, even if some of it is holding up and I was planning on just removing that which didn't? (I also have more Brightsides and it would be a bummer to waste). It won't be walked on, really, it's just for the toerail, seats of the cockpit (which will have teak seats overtop) and in between patches of nonskid.
Interdeck is basically Brightside with grit in it.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 13:32   #13
Moderator
 
JPA Cate's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: aboard, cruising in Australia
Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Posts: 19,943
Re: How do I strip some, not all, of my deck paint?

Kelsey, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I'm feeling quite concerned that if the bond is so poor between your Brightside and the epoxy primer as to be so easily removed, that probably the whole lot needs to come off. Don't take it on my word, though, check with the manufacturer... and good luck. The bond issue needs solving before you try to move forward.

Ann

If you haven't already bought your non-skid, there's a different product that might work for you. Friends of ours used it on their aluminum boat, and we used it (on their recommendation) on this one: acrylmeric sport cote. It is water based, and has excellent non-skid properties.

Ann
__________________
Who scorns the calm has forgotten the storm.
JPA Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 13:52   #14
Do… or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 11,457
Re: How do I strip some, not all, of my deck paint?

I agree with Ann above but we're in the Awlgrip camp because we know it works after using it for 15 years.

I recommend to strip all the 1-part paint and only use a 2-part polyurethane for topcoat, over a 2-part epoxy primer.
__________________
This is just an answer/comment; not interested in arguing or dealing with the trolls
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 14:18   #15
Registered User

Join Date: May 2020
Location: Maryland
Boat: Noord Nederland Seahawk 31
Posts: 57
Re: How do I strip some, not all, of my deck paint?

I definitely agree that I won't be using the interlux the next time I have to do this. Unfortunately I have already bought the paint, so I'm just going to try and prep as well as I can and touch it up as I go. I think I have diagnosed that what made some of it stick and not the rest is the time of day I painted it - I thought I painted early enough that the dew wouldn't get to it, but I think I was wrong, so next time I'll do it even earlier in the day. If it only lasts a year, then it'll only last a year and next time I'll be using something else. Luckily as a live aboard, I'll be able to catch any problem spots as they arise along the way.
KelseyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
deck, paint

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Most nontoxic Cheapest paint-strip for boat deck liveaboardL Construction, Maintenance & Refit 9 27-03-2014 18:17
Can I Paint on a UV Proof Strip For My Rolling Genoa? Shanaly Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting 4 05-03-2013 01:36
To paint or not to paint a deck vistech1 Monohull Sailboats 1 26-02-2013 18:34
Need to Strip Back Unknown Black Bottom Paint fkittson Construction, Maintenance & Refit 7 13-01-2012 09:26

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:55.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.