Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2022, 13:26   #1

Boat: Cape dory 27
How can I remove giant flathead screw?

… without the proper tool, of course.

It’s one that holds the pulpit to the cockpit sole.
Think about a quarter-sized flathead. Slot is maybe 1mm wide and deep.
I have tools on boat but nothing around that seems to work.

There is a nut on bottom but it turns the screw. (Actually a big flathead bolt, I guess. Counter sunk, flush with the surface.

Another question might be: how to keep a bolt from turning with only access to the threaded side
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DA7A256F-23E6-40D9-97F1-07401E6F0317.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	422.3 KB
ID:	256557  
Roswell715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2022, 13:36   #2

Boat: Moody 376
Re: How can I remove giant flathead screw?

Any chance of adding something like butyl tape to the nut and then Putting your socket and driver on the nut. And then lash the handle to something to hold it firm while you work with the flat head....
A hand held impact driver that’s hammer operated would be a huge help.

Copious amount of your favorite penetrant

Bribe a fellow skipper with a beverage to assist...
marcjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2022, 13:38   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Vice grips on the nut and braced against turning.
A $15 inventment in an impact driver will carry lifelong benefits.
I bought one on line last week for $22Cdn on Amazon.
No need to get suckered on the $75 units.

https://www.amazon.ca/TEKTON-2905-8-...785539586&th=1
Old 24-04-2022, 13:47   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, Roswell715,

You're going to have to get at the nut if you want to undo the screw. Or have a smaller, more limber friend get to it for you. It is probably a pretty big nut, too. Maybe you or he or she can fix a box end wrench on it and wedge it against turning. You can dry drizzling some weasel piss (equal parts atf* and acetone) down there first, and it might help, and you need to find a big old flat blade screw driver that will fit very well (not so tight you have to force it in, but without slop). By the way, somebody got at it to install it, so I know there's a way to do it. This is definitely a problem that will have a solution.

If you don't know the size of the nut, you'll have to get calipers on it somehow, to measure it (in order to properly size the box end wrench). You can also use a crescent wrench or a deep socket on it, but the former is likely to round the corners on the nut, and the latter may foul on the end of the screw. If you go the socket route hex head rather than 12 point will fit best, but in tight spaces sometimes it's easier to fit the 12 point ones on.

Yes, there are some new tools in your future.

Now, when it comes to re-assembly, you're going to need some good bedding compound, cause when you replace it you want to seal it up. Sikaflex will do. Turps for cleanup. May need to put some newspaper underneath, below decks, to catch drops. Put the sika on the screw in such a way that when you tighten the nut, some squeezes out around the top of the screw, so that water on it will drain off, and not run below. Wipe off any excess.

You can do this with someone helping. On our boat, I'm usually the one below, fielding drips and tightening what I can, while Jim does the screwdriver above. One other thought, sometimes people put things together using whatever they have around. If your screws are too long, you might run out and buy some the right size, for a neater fit.

Ann
Old 24-04-2022, 13:54   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Hi, Roswell715,

You're going to have to get at the nut if you want to undo the screw. Or have a smaller, more limber friend get to it for you. It is probably a pretty big nut, too. Maybe you or he or she can fix a box end wrench on it and wedge it against turning. You can dry drizzling some weasel piss (equal parts atf* and acetone) down there first, and it might help, and you need to find a big old flat blade screw driver that will fit very well (not so tight you have to force it in, but without slop). By the way, somebody got at it to install it, so I know there's a way to do it. This is definitely a problem that will have a solution.

If you don't know the size of the nut, you'll have to get calipers on it somehow, to measure it (in order to properly size the box end wrench). You can also use a crescent wrench or a deep socket on it, but the former is likely to round the corners on the nut, and the latter may foul on the end of the screw. If you go the socket route hex head rather than 12 point will fit best, but in tight spaces sometimes it's easier to fit the 12 point ones on.

Yes, there are some new tools in your future.

Now, when it comes to re-assembly, you're going to need some good bedding compound, cause when you replace it you want to seal it up. Sikaflex will do. Turps for cleanup. May need to put some newspaper underneath, below decks, to catch drops. Put the sika on the screw in such a way that when you tighten the nut, some squeezes out around the top of the screw, so that water on it will drain off, and not run below. Wipe off any excess.

You can do this with someone helping. On our boat, I'm usually the one below, fielding drips and tightening what I can, while Jim does the screwdriver above. One other thought, sometimes people put things together using whatever they have around. If your screws are too long, you might run out and buy some the right size, for a neater fit.

Ann

Right on. I should clarify.. I can reach both the nut below and the topside at the same time. The problem is the right “thing” to hold the flathead part from turning. A regular size screwdriver just twists in the slot. I have an impact driver but it’s just a regular size bit which just spins in the wide slot. I’m a long way from a store so I am sitting here trying to brainstorm. I filed down an inch thick paint scraper but it’s too weak and twists
Old 24-04-2022, 14:49   #6

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Every boat should have a nut splitter nut splitter.

https://www.amazon.ca/Tool-Internati.../dp/B00N3YAMIA
Old 24-04-2022, 15:02   #7

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Vise grips and a large coin.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2022, 15:04   #8

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Do you have a multi tool for deck fitting removal? They come in handy for things like this, when the size lines up.
I have also used chisels or a prybar held with vice grips. Possibly a large washer.
Really anything strong that fits the slot, but can be grasped with vice grips, can work. Assuming of course that it is willing to turn, otherwise you will need a grinder[emoji854]Click image for larger version

Name:	20220424_180013.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	256567
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2022, 15:28   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

A large slotted screw is used to fasten a lot of hurricane shutters. There is a special driver for them.
https://www.amazon.com/IVY-Classic-4...%2C109&sr=8-11
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1AD1167B-CD19-40C2-A3F4-B576414339C5.jpeg
Views:	103
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	256569  
Old 24-04-2022, 15:32   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I’ve also taken a spade drill and ground the end flat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	47C7212B-6D9F-4590-9BD7-D4B2A9AF8105.jpeg
Views:	70
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	256570  
Old 24-04-2022, 15:34   #11

Boat: Cape Dory 31

You can buy a single slotted bit in your choice of drives, here is one example.
In addition, that pedestal guard is not original equipment nor is the bracket which holds it. The floor of your cockpit is cored with balsa. If the new penetrations weren’t done properly now is the time. You want any penetration to go through solid glass/epoxy to protect the balsa from rotting. The guard bases should have been secured with bolts and backing plates….as they were originally from the builder. The same goes for the pedestal base.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AEA09501-B4D1-4D11-9CD9-61762F230106.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	256568  
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2022, 15:55   #12

Boat: Nordic 44

Do you mean the pedestal screw? Those are aluminum and the nut might be corroded on. Try some penetrating oil to loosen it up before you try again. When re-assembling them use some anti seize compound on them.

I seem to remember Edson is no longer selling those. Check with them before drilling out what you have.

In a pinch I have made straight slot blades from sheet metal and held them in a crescent wrench.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2022, 16:01   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
You can buy a single slotted bit in your choice of drives, here is one example.
In addition, that pedestal guard is not original equipment nor is the bracket which holds it. The floor of your cockpit is cored with balsa. If the new penetrations weren’t done properly now is the time. You want any penetration to go through solid glass/epoxy to protect the balsa from rotting. The guard bases should have been secured with bolts and backing plates….as they were originally from the builder. The same goes for the pedestal base.
Yea I just bought it like that. It’s a 27. The previous owner must have thought it was a yacht lol. Going back to a tiller.
Good idea on the bit.. guess I’ll have to wait until I’m near a store
Old 24-04-2022, 16:06   #14

Boat: Catalina 320

Drag Link Socket of appropriate size, big as will fit.

Name:	51XjtOlGLhL._AC_SX679_.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	256572
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2022, 16:08   #15

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roswell715 View Post
Yea I just bought it like that. It’s a 27. The previous owner must have thought it was a yacht lol. Going back to a tiller.
Good idea on the bit.. guess I’ll have to wait until I’m near a store
If you are going back to a tiller just drill them out. Aluminum drills easily. Use 1/2 inch or a little larger bit.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, head