Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2018, 18:57   #31

Boat: Lagoon 41 S2
Re: How best to fix this

How about steaming the rest of the interior to match the door...?
Library70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:45   #32

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180228_133145.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	165174
Was at our local box store and noticed the attached that may cover up the issue and provide from happening again. The pattern would help break up the other stainless apliances you have. They are brushed stainless with peel and stick backing and cost is low. Think this was at home depot but may be found elsewhere.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180228_133152.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	165175
gulfstar37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 05:59   #33

Boat: 2012 Tartan 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlipchick View Post
If you're interested in repairing the finish to your wood I would suggest Howard's Restor-A-Finish. I used the Golden Oak on my Hunter and the water spots mostly disappeared. A can cost about $9.00. I thought I needed to refinish my companionway so I went to Home Depot to get the supplies and I saw this can of Howards wood refinisher and for the money I said why not what a surprise I got after wiping it on. It was the easiest repair I ever did so I went though all 44ft of the boat what an improvement for 9 bucks.

Permanently revive and restore the original color and luster in one step, without removing any of the existing finish. Most wood finishes that seem to need a complete refinishing job can be completely restored in a few minutes with this simple wipe-on, wipe-off process. White heat rings and water marks, sun fade, oxidation, smoke damage, and most other blemishes can be quickly blended away. Before you go to the extreme of stripping it, try restoring it!

Simple wipe-on, wipe-off application

Permanently restores the existing varnish, lacquer or shellac - without removing it

Penetrates through the existing finish to restore color and luster

Restores any wood or finish shade utilizing nine different colors

Restor-A-Finish Helps To Remove

White Heat Rings

Water Marks

Smoke Damage & Oxidation

Restor-A-Finish Helps To Revive

Faded Finishes

Minor Crazed or Checked Finishes

Light Scratches & Abrasions

This stuff worked like a miracle! Perfect job! Easy! It not only did a flawless job on the damaged door above the stove, I used it on the wood around the interior of the companionway (which has been wet hundreds of times) and it looks like new! I did the desktop of the nav station as well and it looks great!

I would say that if Howard's has a color like yours it is one of those things you'll use and then wish you had discovered it years ago!!!
RichandHelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 09:12   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichandHelen View Post
I thank all of you for your responses. Thanks to Delancey for the pic of a boat like ours!

My first thought was to make a stainless cover for the door - but the Admiral nixed it. The fronts of the fridge, freezer and ice maker are already brushed stainless and I think she would get over it. Or maybe she thinks "Enough already with the stainless".

I am at least a bit reluctant to strip and refinish the door because I'm afraid of not matching the rest of the interior. Rich
I think you need to "suggest" to the Admiral that function takes precedence over aesthetics. If she's the Admiral she should be telling you that. You could glue on tiles.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote