Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2018, 08:53   #16

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202
Re: How best to fix this

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichandHelen View Post
I thank all of you for your responses. Thanks to Delancey for the pic of a boat like ours!

My first thought was to make a stainless cover for the door - but the Admiral nixed it. The fronts of the fridge, freezer and ice maker are already brushed stainless and I think she would get over it. Or maybe she thinks "Enough already with the stainless".

I am at least a bit reluctant to strip and refinish the door because I'm afraid of not matching the rest of the interior. Rich
Have to agree with your mate, too much of one thing is too much.
Have you considered, copper sheet? As a deflector?
Bronze sheet? Looks nice. Not stainless.
Even starboard.
I believe even if your refinish this, you'll need something to protect, from heat and steaming water,as it may well lift the finish again.
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 09:48   #17

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

If I understand it correctly it is a stove back splash. A varnished piece of wood veneer?
A fire looking for a place to happen.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 10:43   #18

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Temporarily remove the cabinet door, refinish it until you get it just right, and in the meantime create and use an easy to place, remove, and store stainless plate that you would retain for future protection of the door when the stove is in use.
Old 27-02-2018, 10:51   #19

If you're interested in repairing the finish to your wood I would suggest Howard's Restor-A-Finish. I used the Golden Oak on my Hunter and the water spots mostly disappeared. A can cost about $9.00. I thought I needed to refinish my companionway so I went to Home Depot to get the supplies and I saw this can of Howards wood refinisher and for the money I said why not what a surprise I got after wiping it on. It was the easiest repair I ever did so I went though all 44ft of the boat what an improvement for 9 bucks.

Permanently revive and restore the original color and luster in one step, without removing any of the existing finish. Most wood finishes that seem to need a complete refinishing job can be completely restored in a few minutes with this simple wipe-on, wipe-off process. White heat rings and water marks, sun fade, oxidation, smoke damage, and most other blemishes can be quickly blended away. Before you go to the extreme of stripping it, try restoring it!

Simple wipe-on, wipe-off application
Permanently restores the existing varnish, lacquer or shellac - without removing it
Penetrates through the existing finish to restore color and luster
Restores any wood or finish shade utilizing nine different colors
Restor-A-Finish Helps To Remove
White Heat Rings
Water Marks
Smoke Damage & Oxidation
Restor-A-Finish Helps To Revive
Faded Finishes
Minor Crazed or Checked Finishes
Light Scratches & Abrasions
dlipchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 11:15   #20

Boat: 2012 Tartan 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
If I understand it correctly it is a stove back splash. A varnished piece of wood veneer?
A fire looking for a place to happen.
Point well taken!
RichandHelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 11:15   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
Temporarily remove the cabinet door, refinish it until you get it just right, and in the meantime create and use an easy to place, remove, and store stainless plate that you would retain for future protection of the door when the stove is in use.
Great suggestion!
Old 27-02-2018, 11:18   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlipchick View Post
If you're interested in repairing the finish to your wood I would suggest Howard's Restor-A-Finish. I used the Golden Oak on my Hunter and the water spots mostly disappeared. A can cost about $9.00. I thought I needed to refinish my companionway so I went to Home Depot to get the supplies and I saw this can of Howards wood refinisher and for the money I said why not what a surprise I got after wiping it on. It was the easiest repair I ever did so I went though all 44ft of the boat what an improvement for 9 bucks.

Permanently revive and restore the original color and luster in one step, without removing any of the existing finish. Most wood finishes that seem to need a complete refinishing job can be completely restored in a few minutes with this simple wipe-on, wipe-off process. White heat rings and water marks, sun fade, oxidation, smoke damage, and most other blemishes can be quickly blended away. Before you go to the extreme of stripping it, try restoring it!

Simple wipe-on, wipe-off application
Permanently restores the existing varnish, lacquer or shellac - without removing it
Penetrates through the existing finish to restore color and luster
Restores any wood or finish shade utilizing nine different colors
Restor-A-Finish Helps To Remove
White Heat Rings
Water Marks
Smoke Damage & Oxidation
Restor-A-Finish Helps To Revive
Faded Finishes
Minor Crazed or Checked Finishes
Light Scratches & Abrasions
EXACTLY what I was looking for!! I've ordered it on Amazon! Thanks!
Old 27-02-2018, 11:21   #23

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

There are many sources of veneer & it is very easy to apply

Len

https://www.veneersupplies.com/produ...Cut-4-x-8.html
Old 27-02-2018, 14:37   #24

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

This is one of those situations that requires a home made chemical re-agent which will definitely solve the problem. Don't worry, it can be made with simple items commonly found on most boats.

Tonic water has the chemical properties required, but it needs to be diluted slightly with alcohol. Think of it like mixing resin and hardner, but not. Looking closely at the uploaded images (nicely done, BTW), I would suggest 3 parts tonic to one part gin. The mixture is more effective closer to 5 degrees C, so if you have ice available, put it to good use. A lemon slice acts as a catalyst, just plop it right in.

Drink the compound in its entirety. If the surface texture is still not to your liking, repeat the process as many times as necessary until the wood surface looks perfect.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 14:55   #25

The finish symptom matches that of shellac.....remember rings left on side tables by condensation from cold glasses? The thinner for shellac is alcohol, and you will be able to remove the cloudy milky stain. However, the area will not look new, and will need to be recoated. I would suggest sanding fair to the next corners and applying a couple of coats of Epiphanes Rubbed Effect satin varnish. It will not turn milky from humidity or water.
LooseGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 18:04   #26

Boat: Beneteau 40.7

Explain to the Admiral that any refinishing of the wood will not last and will look ugly again. I suggest a decorative sheet, either glass or metal. You could spend a portion of next year's cruising looking for the perfect item.
thunderhoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 18:41   #27

Boat: 1984 Merit 25

How about one of those big "OUCH!" BandAids, like we see on dented cars?

Aarrrgh!
Aaarrgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 20:30   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
Have to agree with your mate, too much of one thing is too much.
Have you considered, copper sheet? As a deflector?
Bronze sheet? Looks nice. Not stainless.
Even starboard.
I believe even if your refinish this, you'll need something to protect, from heat and steaming water,as it may well lift the finish again.
Cool ideas. I'll present them and let you know what I thought
Old 28-02-2018, 16:24   #29

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichandHelen View Post
I thank all of you for your responses. Thanks to Delancey for the pic of a boat like ours!

My first thought was to make a stainless cover for the door - but the Admiral nixed it. The fronts of the fridge, freezer and ice maker are already brushed stainless and I think she would get over it. Or maybe she thinks "Enough already with the stainless".

I am at least a bit reluctant to strip and refinish the door because I'm afraid of not matching the rest of the interior. Rich
A couple of ideas come to mind. They both involve removing the door and taking it to your workshop or to a woodworker. The door could be reconstructed so that it duplicates the glass cabinet door on the right. This would look good but the glass would have to be regularly cleaned from grease et al food spatter. Option #2 would be to take the door along with another cabinet door to your local woodworker, have her remove the coating on the damaged surface,match the stain to the other door and then coat it with the product of your choice. Re-install both doors and then either follow sailormed's advice with a roll up fire blanket OR get a nice looking cutting board of synthetic heat resistant material and have it live on hooks on the cabinet door front, or attach some metal nautical trivet or trinket there. Lots of possibilities. Good luck. Pictures of the finished product whatever your solution would be fun.
Nani Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 16:26   #30

It's a matter of practicality not aesthetics. There are just some things on a boat like that.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote