Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2014, 14:30   #1

Boat: E Boat
Houdini hatch leaking

I have this old Houdini hatch on my boat and it seems gaskits and seals had its run. I am wondering whether it is possible to change the seals (seal between the window and the frame and seal between the two frames). I am not sure but i thought i saw leak coming as well between one of the bolts which makes me wonder.

1 to unscrew the whole hatch
2 remove (if there is any) old epoxy
3 put new epoxy (which sort...?) and new screws
4change all the seals

and hopefully the hatch will be as good as new....of course if the above steps are correct...

I am also curious to learn what is the 'best' sealant on European market. I read there are sealants which can withstand the vibrations and so forth.

Anyhow, looking forward to your opinion!

J,
Jack Eboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 23:03   #2

I am sending you a conversation with Houdini Marine Windows company. I think it might help you to solve the problem. You should try to contact them, they will give you all information what you need....

"Hello Mario
If you removed the glass without damaging the frame you have done very well. You should reseal the glass in the frame using a marine grade silicon (which we can supply) and them reseal the hatch to your boat using a non setting mastic such as Arbomast BR (which we can supply also) The main seal can also be supplied by us. Joan will contact you later today with prices for the silicon, the Arbomast BR and the seal, plus postage to Croatia.
Kind regards
Stuart Curtis
Houdini Marine Windows Limited

Sent: 07 August 2012 15:48
To: enquiries@houdini-marine.co.uk
Subject: Houdini Hatch 50 - hatch seal info

Dear,

I am from Croatia and recently I bought a sailboat model Magnifik Midget 23 (Sweden, year 1975.).
Currently I am in a do-it-myself sailboat restoration project.

I think my sailboat is equipped with an old Houdini Hatch model 50 with 534x534 mm outside dimensions (picture is in the attachment), which I want to restore.

I need info about hatch P seal/joint around window (between window and frame - on the picture), do you have one, what is the price and is it possible to deliver in Croatia.

Also I took out the glass (5 mm thick) from window (sealing is old and leaking) and I need an info about the best way to mount and seal it again.

Thank you and Best Regards,

Mario"
McMarec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 03:29   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Houdini hatch leaking

Jack E Boat:

On the surface, it doesn't look too difficult. Google on Houdini Hatches. If you investigate deeply, you may come across the specs for the gaskets. However, if you can get them out, just take them somewhere the basic materials for hatch seals can be found, and match for diameter, if round, and for thickness, if flat. It is possible to have leaks between the decks and the frame, in which case you have to remove the hatch, clean up the old sealant and then use new sealant to put it down.

In recent years we have used a lot of Sika 291, a polyurethane sealant, but if you check at chandleries (for local "marine" sealants) and then go to discount hardware stores, you should be able to find what you want at a reasonable (more or less) price.

Good luck with it, and when the Europeans come back on line, they'll help more. I'm only a Yank in Australia.

Ann
Old 21-05-2014, 04:39   #4

Boat: E Boat
Re: Houdini hatch leaking

McMarec, thanks for this info! Funny bacause i contacted Houdini and they told me i have to get a new hatch. Something which i doubt very much. And my doubt are confirmed...thank god I was also thinking whether there is a tool to remove an old seal between the window and frame? I found some seals that are suitable for the main seal already with a P shape Houdini Seal For Houdini Hatch - Only £29.95 - Force 4 Chandlery as for the window and frame seal

Is there anybody from The Netherlands reading this? What is good online or retail store where i can buy marine stuff? I am only finding stores in UK...

Yes it does not look to difficult indeed but i need to know what needs to be done before i start getting things.

Thank you, and if you have any more ideas they are very welcome!

J
Jack Eboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hatch