Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2020, 08:42   #1

Boat: 1982 CT 54
Hot Rod hoses? Stainless steal braid with AN fittings

Hey guys,

First off thanks for all the great info, so much so with a little searching most of my questions have been answered. But I have this lingering one; Is there a problem with using high quality SS braided hose with proper high quality AN fittings? Now understand I am taking high quality not the cheap Chinese stuff you find on eBay.

I am refitting a 1981 CT 54.

I have used Russel brand for years on hot boats and cars and never had a failure, not one. I have gotten to the point of only using AN fitting unless there is no other option.

There must be a down side for SS or AN fittings on a cruising boat, please fill me in. OTHER then the cost LOL.

Thanks
Jim
shipchips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 09:00   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Hot Rod hoses? Stainless steal braid with AN fittings

Other than cost and no need to do so, there is no reason not to, even on HP cars it’s really done to look cool more than necessity.
If that’s where you want to spend your money do so, no reason not to.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 09:07   #3

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

I've used the same pair of NASCAR type s/s braided brake hoses on the front wheels of our T-Bucket for 20 years or so, not acceptable to DOT, but have lasted for for 100,000 miles with all the bouncing, turning, and road rash. Now that you mention it, maybe I'll replace the fuel hoses on the green-monster-in-the-bilge with them.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 09:22   #4

Be careful with hot rod silicon hot water hose

They breath and aren’t suitable for long motoring , high engine hours
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 18:25   #5

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Availability to replace in remote areas.

Of course, done right, and barring mishaps, there shouldn't be any need to replace either hose or fittings...which seems to me the primary attraction, and if included in a real reckoning of cost, might make it the most economical choice...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 18:50   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

If it makes you feel better I can tell you I'm using A-1 fuel hose for the lines to the remote oil filter. Oil temp max 69oC, max pressure 40 psi. Everyone said I had to use the steel braided lines or copper tube, seemed like overkill to me & 3-4 years later no problems. May be different scenario if you have a FWC turbo engine ( i.e. a lot higher oil temp) & 80 psi oil pressure.
So bottom line is post#2 said it.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 08:56   #7

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

The PO of my boat used these for all the oil lines and some of the fuel lines. In 13 years I have had 1 fitting failure. Expensive to replace. This is a twin diesel engine motorsailer. The hydraulic lines for the hydraulic steering system were also done with these. I love the PO.
Old 12-05-2020, 10:09   #8

These hoses & fittings are actually (originally) for military (primarily aircraft) use...thus the SS braid to protect the hose from damage including abrasion and the aluminum fittings for weight reduction. You can make your own hoses & fittings are replaceable though it takes some care and practice. Hose material used is dependent on the liquid and pressure...the standard hose will work fine with most boat applications except high pressure hydraulic use and maybe high pressure side of watermaker...these require not only different hose material (silicone if I remember correctly) but also steel fittings. Remember also that hose with SS braid covering will likely not bend in as short a radius as the uncovered version.
However and as someone else said, the utility of the hose itself is no better than good quality hose without the SS braid cover...but it sure does look cool!!
patfarrell1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 10:28   #9

Boat: Seafarer36c

I doubt the fittings are real aircraft AN (Army Navy) parts, probably bogus and for what it's worth, the hose would not be usable on a certified aircraft either. Approved boat hoses and fittings are more correct.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 15:44   #10

Boat: Catalina 36 / Morgan 33 OI

Just note that I have used stainless braided cover hoses for household hot and cold water under the kitchen sink and both lavatories and commodes in my home bathrooms and the threaded fittings rust out in a few years, even in an air conditioned home. Maybe test with a magnet first !.
slowpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 17:51   #11

Boat: Hinterhoeller Niagara 35

Aeroquip makes an extensive line of high-performance hoses and fittings. The "AN" fittings are approved for use in aircraft. Fittings are available in aluminum, plated steel, and SS. They also have a wide selection of hose types including plain and stainless braided. Any well stocked auto supply, Aircraft Spruce and Specialty, etc. can source these items.

While these hose systems are clearly high quality, they may not meet Coast Guard Standards for marine hose.

If you want to pretty up your engine, there are also tempting braided stainless dress-up coverings available. However the end fittings are designed to conceal hose clamps under a brightly anodized sleeve where they will be impossible to see and inspect.

One often sees this stuff on hot-rod and racing powerboats, however IMHO Coast Guard approved, double AWAB clamped hose is the proven and safe way to go.

BTW: Copper is a poor choice for any plumbing hard connected to an engine. Vibration will cause work-hardening and possible metal fatigue cracks. Copper if used must always be isolated with flexible hose connections to the engine.
Boatwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 18:48   #12

Boat: 1982 CT 54

Thanks Guys,

I appreciate all the info.

My goal is simple, leak proof longevity and safety, especially on my fuel an oil lines. The fire resistance to high quality SS is outstanding and far superior to rubber hose.

Thanks, I appreciate all the ideas opinions.
Jim
shipchips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 19:10   #13

Boat: Hinterhoeller Niagara 35

FYI: The stainless outer covering is not considered to be fire-proof. An additional "firesleeve" outer covering is available for additional fire-resistance. I have also seen stainless braided hose leak just like regular hose when the inner rubber hose deteriorated.

Again, no magic just common sense and experience -- Coast Guard approved hose properly installed.
Boatwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 07:29   #14

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

The 'inner hoses' on these 'AN' lines (a generic term which really means nothing at all), are quite variable and range from unreinforced pvc or teflon to wire reinforced hpdm to ???

Same as for fittings, I've seen steel in several different finishes, SS, and I believe aluminium and wouldn't be surprised if someonw made them in bronze or titanium.

Any discussion about the merits or deficiencies without taking the actual relevant specifications of both hose and fittings is meaningless.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 15:33   #15

Boat: Seafarer36c

[QUOTE=jimbunyard;3138706]The 'inner hoses' on these 'AN' lines (a generic term which really means nothing at all),

Lines and hoses are not AN parts. Fittings and bolts are AN parts. Hose is a MIL-Spec part. In aviation, AN does mean something as do NAS, MS and a TSO. AN fittings from Ace Hot Rod are probably bogus parts from China. You need to know your source.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote