Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 03:01   #16

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Move your waterline up next time.

b.
Why? The barnacles are on the anti fouling below the waterline. Just curious?
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:34   #17
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Re: Holy Arthropods Batman, We Have Barnacles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMove View Post
...I was wondering about using my old kitchen sponge with the blue scrub pad on it to get the rest of the slime off. Do you think that is too abrasive? It's the one to use with Teflon...
Try using an old sport sock over your hand. You can't drop it. Worked for me.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:46   #18
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Holy Arthropods Batman, We Have Barnacles

On the run from Panama to Nuku Hiva we picked up a load of barnacles... can't remember the type but they looked like pink and mauve flowers hanging of the hull from midships aft... had to use a knife to clear them as a scraper would just slip over the stems.
3ft deep band of the buga's at the stern.. and no way was I going in the water with Tiger sharks prowling the anchorage...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:36   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
3ft deep band of the buga's at the stern.. and no way was I going in the water with Tiger sharks prowling the anchorage...
You wouldn't get me in the water either with those bad boys around!

Fortunately I only have a very thin band, maybe 8" at the stern and they are it a solid mass. Unfortunately, after poking about at them yesterday I don't think they are going to pop off very easy

Well I'm off to slay a few barnacles with my new superhero weapons, a nylon switch cover plate (think lights in a house) and the last of my husband's sports socks!

Robyn
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
Old 08-09-2013, 06:57   #20

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
On the run from Panama to Nuku Hiva we picked up a load of barnacles... can't remember the type but they looked like pink and mauve flowers hanging of the hull from midships aft... had to use a knife to clear them as a scraper would just slip over the stems.
Those are gooseneck barnacles, and quite common on longer passages, especially if you are heeled over a bit. I use the scotchbrite pad on the ones above the bottom paint.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:58   #21

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Actually, we try to put an extra coat or two, all along the waterline, FWIW.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:00   #22

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
You wouldn't get me in the water either with those bad boys around!

Fortunately I only have a very thin band, maybe 8" at the stern and they are it a solid mass. Unfortunately, after poking about at them yesterday I don't think they are going to pop off very easy

Well I'm off to slay a few barnacles with my new superhero weapons, a nylon switch cover plate (think lights in a house) and the last of my husband's sports socks!

Robyn
I use a 4" stainless putty knife, and they come off easily. Also use the putty knife on the slime around the waterline, as it takes off less paint than scrubbing pads, socks, carpets, etc.

Be sure to wear gloves--those barnacles are like razorblades!
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:06   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Actually, we try to put an extra coat or two, all along the waterline, FWIW.
Good tip! Thanks.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:40   #24

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Why? The barnacles are on the anti fouling below the waterline. Just curious?
I stand corrected. Do not. I jumped to imagine they grew above your waterline. (That's wehere we got our - COLONIES, not single units).

I am surprised you got barnacles over 66. Are they of the goosneck brand?

I am asking as we got plenty of barnacles over Hempel (Mille) Dynamic, but none over 66. We painted 4 layers, 7 in the much light/much wash areas. But, being in different oceans, it is so hard to compare anything.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 15:07   #25

So I wrought death and destruction to all barnacles on our boat today.

It was pretty easy to knock them off. All in all, there were probably less than 200. There were usually 6-10 at the thru-hulls, none on the port side, and only on the last third on the starboard side. The biggest concentration was along the stern at the edge.

I had two surprises: first was the (little, well tiny really) crab that jumped out as I was scraping the stern and is now residing on top of the lip of the stern. The other was how thin the paint on the forward third of the hull and at the water line. It was put on ten months ago and it was on the hard for three months of that. I'm thinking there will not be much left in a year. It looks like I also have (what look like) a few tiny anemones starting to sprout on the same lip the crab is on -- I will have to investigate further.

While I was doing it, I kept thinking about every horror story I have ever heard or read about parasites, especially the one's that enter a person's ear and then burrow into their brain! Not that I am a paranoid person or anything but when I got out of the water I rinsed off very thoroughly and rinsed my ears out with isopropyl alcohol.

I ended up using a soft plastic thingy the hubby got for gel coat work (spreading/smoothing). It worked really well and was easy on the paint. I don't remember who told me to use gloves, but thank you. I would not have thought of that initially and would have had a couple of nasty cuts.

Thanks everyone!
Robyn
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3854369060.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	377.5 KB
ID:	66851  
Old 08-09-2013, 15:20   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

I stand corrected. Do not. I jumped to imagine they grew above your waterline. (That's wehere we got our - COLONIES, not single units).

I am surprised you got barnacles over 66. Are they of the goosneck brand?

I am asking as we got plenty of barnacles over Hempel (Mille) Dynamic, but none over 66. We painted 4 layers, 7 in the much light/much wash areas. But, being in different oceans, it is so hard to compare anything.

Cheers,
b.
You know, I have no idea what kind they were. I guess I should start learning that stuff!

As I said in my post above, when you got right down to it there were really not that many in total and they came off really easy. The biggest concentration was on the edge of the stern and that was problematic because of the swim platform and ladder (it's just where you want to put your feet or grab with your hands). I think it has been pretty well documented that the 473 stern sits in the water 4-5", the edge is wrapped in a rubbery material (probably to save us from ourselves if we back into something ) and everything loves to attach to it! Every two weeks or so I am scraping something off of it.

We didn't paint the bottom ourselves this time, but in the future I think I will follow your lead.

Thanks,
Robyn
Old 08-09-2013, 15:22   #27

Boat: Leopard 40
Quote:
While I was doing it, I kept thinking about every horror story I have ever heard or read about parasites, especially the one's that enter a person's ear and then burrow into their brain! Not that I am a paranoid person or anything but when I got out of the water I rinsed off very thoroughly and rinsed my ears out with isopropyl alcohol.

Thanks everyone!
Robyn
You mean like The Wrath of Khan? Khaaaaaaannnnnn!

You inspired me to do some scraping (really a bi-weekly project in Lake Worth) and came out covered in baby shrimp! I thought I might have enough for dinner so I let them cook in the sun stuck to my body but it just made me smell like rotting seafood. Dinner anyone?
ShaktiGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 15:57   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaktiGurl View Post

You mean like The Wrath of Khan? Khaaaaaaannnnnn!

You inspired me to do some scraping (really a bi-weekly project in Lake Worth) and came out covered in baby shrimp! I thought I might have enough for dinner so I let them cook in the sun stuck to my body but it just made me smell like rotting seafood. Dinner anyone?
I just spewed my beer all over my poor, unsuspecting kitty! Geez, I can't stop laughing, my husband thinks I have finally lost it!

You can keep the shrimp, I think we will have a salad for dinner !
Old 08-09-2013, 16:22   #29
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i can either stand on the dock or sit in my kayak or row boat and use a paddle to remove barnies from my hull---- is easy--they peel off in sheets
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 16:40   #30
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Holy Arthropods Batman, We Have Barnacles

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Those are gooseneck barnacles, and quite common on longer passages, especially if you are heeled over a bit. I use the scotchbrite pad on the ones above the bottom paint.
Dems de Buga's... never had them in the Atlantic funny enough..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle