Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2008, 09:55   #1

High Amp Battery Connection Question

Hi everybody, my first post after a lot of reading.

I am installing 12 T105's as new house batteries in 4-series/3 parallel banks configuration for a 24 volt, 660 amp house bank. I would like to terminate the 3 banks at a single point (according to this website: SmartGauge Electronics - Interconnecting multiple batteries to form one larger bank) where also a 3500 watt inverter and the DC panel connection will be hooked up. Max. inverter DC load is about 150 amps, DC panel loads maybe 50 amps max.

My question is, do I need a 250 amp battery bar as by blue sea systems ($80 x 2 for + and - ) or could I just use a single SS bolt / stud each for +/- with all the lugs attached to it?

Wouldn't the stud actually be better (with copper washers in between perhaps) because the lugs have direct contact with each other as opposed to using a bar for conductivity (multiple contact points)?

Thank you for your advise,
David
davida1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2008, 10:23   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by davida1234 View Post
My question is, do I need a 250 amp battery bar as by blue sea systems ($80 x 2 for + and - ) or could I just use a single SS bolt / stud each for +/- with all the lugs attached to it?

Wouldn't the stud actually be better (with copper washers in between perhaps) because the lugs have direct contact with each other as opposed to using a bar for conductivity (multiple contact points)?
The reason for a bar is so if you want to add more accessories. But any kind of stud would work, preferably a brass stud to keep the metals in parallel.

With so many amps my question would be; are you installing a fuse link after the batteries +???
Old 22-12-2008, 10:33   #3

Del, thanks for your help. Yes, I do have a HD BlueSeaSystems 300 Amp fuse with cover in line.
David
Old 22-12-2008, 10:42   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to JHJensen
Exclamation Number of conductors per stud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davida1234 View Post

Thank you for your advise,
David
David I you don't want to have more than four lugs per stud peer AYBC Standards.
JHJensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2008, 11:08   #5

Thanks Gamekeeper,

I could connect the DC panel wires to the posts at the inverter and avoid 5-lug stud situation.
David
Old 22-12-2008, 15:36   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
More good reasons to use the bus bars over the lugs are simplicity and ease of maintenance. The bus bars keep all the supply points in the same location.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery