Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2018, 17:53   #46

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825
Re: Hey can I have some privacy please!!!

Put a pipe clip on the bolts that are already there, One that fits your curtain rod, There is no weight in the curtain or rod,
Unless you use a tree branch for the rod,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 04:51   #47

Hi Everyone,

Thank you very much for your help and suggestions. In the end I did what many suggested and installed a curtain between the toilet and the rest of the cabin. For an extra degree of privacy I also installed a curtain at the companionway. I have attached photos showing the two curtains. The curtain at the companionway easy clips onto two external catches. It hangs up inside next to the companionway when not in use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	file3.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	364.7 KB
ID:	182430   Click image for larger version

Name:	file5.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	343.2 KB
ID:	182431  

Click image for larger version

Name:	file17.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	405.1 KB
ID:	182432  
Aussie Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 06:54   #48

Boat: Privilege 43

Curtains and a fan that can be turned on while the head is used.
Us4byrds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 10:17   #49

Boat: Catalac 30

Just buy a second boat and 10 mrs of rope to tow and build it in there.
janver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 10:18   #50

Boat: Catalac 30

Maybe rent it as toilet boat to the public.
janver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 13:36   #51

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

I used a shower screen. Cheap, simple and effective. On another heads I had a two-purpose water proof framed plywood door door that closed off the bowl and washstand area plus space for the user when the heads was in use, and the "dry" side of the door faced into a hanging locker when the head or washstand were not not in use. A simple spring catch held it in either position, rather than a magnet. I dislike strong magnets such as welders' magnets on vessels unless stored in a sheet iron or Mu-metal box when not being used.

As to the heads themselves, I might also add that in order to have a shower one sat on the pedestal bowl with the lid down, and the shower head was detachable so it could be hand held or left secure in its grip on the bulkhead. Wash down everything before vacating.

There is always a good place for the head/washstand on most vessels over thirty feet, sometimes even smaller than that, but sometimes that place is never considered.

Having it amidships only works for me if the rear of the heads compartment forms a removable heavy-duty emergency waterproof collision bulkhead fitted to a strong hull frame abaft the anchor locker..If there is not such a frame, fit one.

But that is just me. I am SUCH a pessimistic bastard. I always like to have the pedestal of any heads mounted CLOSELY to the vessel centreline but offset sufficiently to allow passage in an emergency.

I also like to have electric extractive ventilation above it discharging above decks via a dorade box outlet. One similar can serve as the bilge ventilation outlet--also spark-proof fan forced..These little fans draw very little current and can left switched be on all of the time. If that is not practical, a solar/battery extractor fan will do as long as it is at least on a coaming or raised deck well above scupper level and able to draw air from the proximity of the heads/washroom/shower..I used solar fans with in-built batteries for years with no problems on several different parts of the vessel. They eliminate a lot of damp and mould, and the steam from a hot shower needs to go outside the vessel immediately...

I also mount the pedestal on a box so that it is clear of the sole allowing any piping to remain above the bilges, and so that the entire pedestal and its pipes sits in a waterproof tray incorporating a drain to a shower sump in the bilge with a float switch and a separate bilge pump exiting via a syphon breaker to a sea cock just above resting laden waterline. For all of this, epoxy saturated plywood coved, sealed and glassed over will suffice. Finish with epoxy paint. One pack paint will do if it can be hot-air cured.

However, if one wishes to make it seem as if designed into the vessel, moulds have to be prepared to fit the hull and coated with release compounds, then layers of woven and chopped glass will give a permanent and professional appearance. Use peel-ply on inside un-moulded surfaces and then finish with epoxy primer then two pack polyurethane.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 14:19   #52

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

Get a good player, and have this at high volume whenever the head is in serious use!

Regards,
Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 14:24   #53

Boat: Islander 36 Freeport

Read “How to s**t in the Woods” by Kathleen Meyer. It may provide you some answers. A woman leader brought it on a BSA 50 mile back pack trip and found it relieved her anxieties especially when we ran out of tp.
schollr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 11:07   #54

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherchronica View Post
First, we were looking at rural cabins a few years ago in 11 states and came across a cabin in a frozen winter area with an outhouse 100 feet from the cabin that had a nice long plank with 2, count 'em 2, access holes, as it were, so a happy couple, or I suppose 2 friends, could squeeze off a couple of fudge monkeys ( courtesy of South Park) in perfect harmony. That said, I would make a curtain and if you wanted to muffle telltale noises use a packing blanket.
Friends used to own an old pre-Civil War plantation mansion...complete with quarters for the house slaves. The slave quarters had a 4 holer! I imagine that could have gone beyond simple harmony to symphonic! [emoji16]
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 13:43   #55

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

On Norfolk Island in the 1960's the beach toilet was a two holer. I guess there were few perfect strangers on the island in those days!
The OP's problem is common. Our head has a slatted door. Many years ago some of my daughter's friends, girls and boys around ten years of age were aboard in the saloon.
One young girl went to use the head and let off a resounding fart. The saloon dissolved into laughter and the girl beat a hasty retreat to the fwd cabin in tears.

Regards,
Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 20:14   #56

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by boden36 View Post
On Norfolk Island in the 1960's the beach toilet was a two holer. I guess there were few perfect strangers on the island in those days!
The OP's problem is common. Our head has a slatted door. Many years ago some of my daughter's friends, girls and boys around ten years of age were aboard in the saloon.
One young girl went to use the head and let off a resounding fart. The saloon dissolved into laughter and the girl beat a hasty retreat to the fwd cabin in tears.

Regards,
Richard.

That is a sad story......

I have a noisy exhaust fan in the toilet but now I'm planning to run it on 24V so it'll sound like a jet aircraft. I don't think I'm going to have any problems regarding noise or odors!
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 14:20   #57

Boat: Colegate 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
Hope you’re not in a crowded anchorage!!?!
Ha ha ...
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 18:45   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Here's a new privacy surround on Craig's List. https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...773784715.html
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 19:09   #59

Now you see me, now you don't...

cj88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease