Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2019, 02:53   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Help! Where in the world to find a 39mm rudderstock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamgoat View Post
Well 1.5” is 38.1mm, a loose fit? Available ,I think, from Onlinemetals.
My thoughts too. I have been building an arm for a rudder reference unit so also been measuring my rudder shaft which is 1.5" or 38.1mm.

Matt, would you like to run a micrometer over the shaft once again, just to check.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2019, 00:48   #17

Boat: Privilege 482

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Matt, would you like to run a micrometer over the shaft once again, just to check.
Wish it were so.... Definitely 39mm. Later Privilege models went up to 49mm, another odd-ball size.
Old 25-07-2019, 03:03   #18

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Have you tried contacting the builder?
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2019, 11:20   #19

One more...this Thai company was recommended by a friend in Bankok as a possibility...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	methametal.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	196633  
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2019, 17:32   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
One more...this Thai company was recommended by a friend in Bankok as a possibility...
Thanks, I'll give them a try.

Just to give an update: All the centerless grinding operations here in Malaysia we've talked to (which is now approaching 8-9) are also size limited and can only handle parts that are less than one foot long. Seems like most of these engineering shops specialize in smaller parts for the electronics industry.

Found a place that can do it in Chicago (our hometown, strangely enough), may have to bite the bullet and pay the $600 in shipping to get it here....
Old 27-07-2019, 18:21   #21

Boat: Dickerson 37AC

I really don't think you need to have stock centerless ground, that level of precision is way way overkill for a rudder application that doesn't even make a full revolution let alone spin at high speed like a CNC spindle.

Just have a machine shop turn down some stock and check runout on a set of rollers. Shafts can be flame straightened to 0.002" over 12" using crude tools if the operator knows what they are doing.

sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2019, 01:12   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
I really don't think you need to have stock centerless ground, that level of precision is way way overkill for a rudder application that doesn't even make a full revolution let alone spin at high speed like a CNC spindle.

Just have a machine shop turn down some stock and check runout on a set of rollers. Shafts can be flame straightened to 0.002" over 12" using crude tools if the operator knows what they are doing.
The centerless grinding was to overcome the restriction on length (I'm not a
machinist, but apparently, if set up correctly, length of the piece is not an issue). Still can't find anyone locally (and by that I mean within Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand) that can handle the 2.3m length.
Old 28-07-2019, 01:29   #23

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

No practical experience here, but any shop that does prop shafts for work boats should have lathes set up to handle even longer lengths that yours. So, have you searched for such services?

Jim
Old 28-07-2019, 04:22   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by teneicm View Post
The centerless grinding was to overcome the restriction on length (I'm not a
machinist, but apparently, if set up correctly, length of the piece is not an issue). Still can't find anyone locally (and by that I mean within Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand) that can handle the 2.3m length.
Any journeyman machinist will have a lathe to handle that length. A 10' bed is common in many shops. And even if they don't have a lathe that long they can easily turn to your dimension if the thru hole on head stock will pass the shaft diameter. Then it's done in lengths and crossover is blended but that should be absolutely minimal if done by s good machinist.

The machinist in the video i linked is in cape cod and mainly does marine shafting. He could easily do this for you.

https://turnwrightmachineworks.com/

But there has to be someone in your area that does this work. Talk to shipyards and see who does shafting. This is about as easy of a project as you can imagine turning a shaft to diameter on a lathe
Old 28-07-2019, 04:36   #25

https://www.candc-marine.com/our-services/

I just typed machinist thailand and got a bunch. You ideally are looking for a job shop. Ideally someone experienced in stainless turning.

https://www.mfg.com/discover/en?discipline=Machining&country=358&subscription_l evel=*&keyword=&search=Search
Old 28-07-2019, 16:26   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
Any journeyman machinist will have a lathe to handle that length. A 10' bed is common in many shops. And even if they don't have a lathe that long they can easily turn to your dimension if the thru hole on head stock will pass the shaft diameter. Then it's done in lengths and crossover is blended but that should be absolutely minimal if done by s good machinist.
I'm a journey tool & die maker and I agree. This job shouldnt be any problem done by a machine shop with a lathe that has a bed that can handle at min 1/2 of the overall stock length with thru spindle capacity. Its actually a very easy job. Myself, I'd just do it in 1 ft increments, moving the bar out after each section is to size. Centerdrill the ends to support the bar stock in the tailstock as the bar is progressing. Keeps the bar solid and all cutting is done close to the chuck, prevents deflection with no need for a follow rest. Once 1/2 of the bar is done, simply swap the bar around and repeat the process. I've done this many times.

I'm curious if the machine shops you contacted where under the impression the bar needs to be turned with full length cuts, thus the reason for the no takers?
US1Fountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rudder