Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2022, 08:52   #1

Boat: Catalina MKII 34'
Help! Unknown Rudder Issue

I have a new issue with a rudder on a 29' C&C Mark 2 - 29 footer.
When I took it out of the water in the spring of 2020 every little thing was working the way it should. Because of Covid I was not able to be at launch in the early fall of 2021, but had the yard in Indiantown advise me when it was ready.
After making way a week or so later, I noticed a real pull to port so that if I was hand steering I had to hold it firmly to keep it in place. The pull would overcome the autopilot so by the time I made it to Fort Pierce I decided to have it hauled to see if I could find out what was wrong.
I suspected the rudder post was bent, that the rudder skin was de-laminated.
None of those things appear to be the problem. The rudder post lines up (by sight) with the keel, the skin (by sounding) is firm.
Can anyone give me give me an idea of next steps? I don't want to remove the rudder if I don't have to.
svchances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 09:27   #2

Boat: 1982 Irwin 46 Ketch - Reduced Rig & Shoal Draft
Re: Help! Unknown Rudder Issue

Check to see id the quadrant has slipped or changed position on the rudder stock. The quadrant is usually clamped on the the rudder stock and located with a key. If anything
has moved, you should be able to see it.
Also, have someone hold the wheel firmly and see if the rudder has any movement when you push it port & stbd.
Sailing August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 10:42   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Help! Unknown Rudder Issue

Adding to Sailing August's test:

The rudder lines up when centered. It may be that the rudder shaft is bent backwards, as in hit something while in the neutral position. Watch it as someone else turns the wheel from side to side. The bottom of the shaft should not scribe a circle; it should stay in one place. Also look for damage on the hull around the rudder shaft. Also take the rudder in your hands and try to make it wobble in the shaft log. Your rudder bearing could be egged.

Ahh, then look for anything on the hull that could be producing drag on one side but not the other. You might be holding the rudder against that drag. A bent propeller would be an example.

A slipping quadrant by itself should not cause this imbalance, and you appear to be tightly connected to the rudder while underway.

Summary: When underway (and not necessarily while on the hard) something is asymmetrical.

Good luck with solving the mystery.

Tags
rudder