Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2023, 09:07   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Help!! Roller Fairlead Placement

A long-held pet peeve I have had about my boat for years is that shore lines are led from cleats over the teak capping rail with nothing but stainless rub strips. The rail has cracked at the quarters from the stress, and the rail is worn and buggered up at the bow, from contact with shorelines.

My friend's Discovery 67 has the foredeck arranged like this -- bow cleats inboard, with roller fairleads at the rail -- two per cleat, one a bit forward, and another a bit aft, of each cleat.

This is gorgeous, but my cleats are too close to the rail for me to do it like this.

Are there any rules for how to do this? The shipwright who is restoring my capping rail needs instructions pronto. He suggests just opposite the bow cleats at the rail -- which sounds ok to me. The stern cleats are harder since there is little space between them and the rail. I was thinking maybe mount them right aft there.

Anyone have tips, suggestions, photos of precedents? Are there any rules for this?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 06-06-2023, 01:46   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Re: Help!! Roller Fairlead Placement

No one?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 06-06-2023, 05:51   #3

Boat: 39' Custom built junk rigged cat ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
No one?
Give 'em a break, people are busy arguing about anchors
Old 06-06-2023, 06:56   #4

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

On my little boat my dock lines connect to the cleats on the opposite side and then are fed through
Where the lines cross on deck there is minimal movement between the lines
Works on my boat but may not on yours
Old 06-06-2023, 07:14   #5
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
A long-held pet peeve I have had about my boat for years is that shore lines are led from cleats over the teak capping rail with nothing but stainless rub strips. The rail has cracked at the quarters from the stress, and the rail is worn and buggered up at the bow, from contact with shorelines.

My friend's Discovery 67 has the foredeck arranged like this -- bow cleats inboard, with roller fairleads at the rail -- two per cleat, one a bit forward, and another a bit aft, of each cleat.

This is gorgeous, but my cleats are too close to the rail for me to do it like this.

Are there any rules for how to do this? The shipwright who is restoring my capping rail needs instructions pronto. He suggests just opposite the bow cleats at the rail -- which sounds ok to me. The stern cleats are harder since there is little space between them and the rail. I was thinking maybe mount them right aft there.

Anyone have tips, suggestions, photos of precedents? Are there any rules for this?

Please post a picture of your example.

I have also been intrigued by the large radius fairleads used on ships.

Old 06-06-2023, 18:48   #6

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

They're not roller style, but they have been great pieces of gear.
https://www.spartanmarine.com/all-pr.../locking-chock
Old 06-06-2023, 19:24   #7

Boat: Morgan 382

For the best lead, my dock lines cross to avoid a tight turn from the fairlead to the cleat. So that part I think is pretty normal.

I am curious what the setup with roller fairlead looks like. Are they just normal cheek blocks, or made as fairleads for dock lines?
Old 07-06-2023, 03:37   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Like this.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20230605-WA0011.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	276417
Walt Whitman
Old 07-06-2023, 03:44   #9
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

You don’t have a T-track on the toe rail?

You don’t have chocks?

You don’t need fancy roller chocks… I don’t see how those prevent damaging the toe rail?

On my T-track I intend to make sliding chocks from delrin that move/slide with the line as it changes angle.

Old 07-06-2023, 05:17   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
You don’t have a T-track on the toe rail?

You don’t have chocks?

You don’t need fancy roller chocks… I don’t see how those prevent damaging the toe rail?

On my T-track I intend to make sliding chocks from delrin that move/slide with the line as it changes angle.

I have a teak capping rail -- no t-track. On top of short bulwarks.

The capping rail will be cut back where the fairleads go.
Walt Whitman
Old 07-06-2023, 08:56   #11

Never having been on the foredeck of a Moody54, I sculled around for some pics. So it seems that you have a bulwark about 5" high capped with a flat trim piece of teak maybe 3" wide. Other than that, your foredeck is innocent of wooden trim.

This is so simple a construction that it may give you grief in placing the chocks and it may be the reason that the factory did not give you chocks in the first place.

Were it me, I would PREFER hawse holes through the bulwarks, but such a retrofit would be tricky and quite costly.

Second best would be CLOSED chocks mounted on top of the bulwark in a "cutout" in the trim strip so the chock would sit directly on the frozen snot. That too might be a bit of a trick since the hold-down bolts would have to reach down far enuff to be reachable from the forecabin or possibly the chain locker. might not be possible.

Third, and probably the easiest, would be closed chocks mounted on "stools" with their "seats" lying across the top of the bulwark and their backs reaching down to the deck on the inboard side of the bulwarks. Such stools could be THROUGH bolted to the bulwarks with carriage bolts having their heads outboard and acorn nuts inboard. For a decent metal fabricator to make up the stools would be a piecacake.

Open chocks are an invitation to trouble. Closed chocks are no problem for a competent foredeck man.

Cheers

TrentePieds
Old 07-06-2023, 15:20   #12

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Skene chocks are designed to "trap" the line & make it difficult to pop out of chock.
Dockhead is in a tidal area UK with large tidal range in places.I would hesitate to use a bolted on chock,that could trap the line,on a falling tide.Boat could end up hanging from bolted chock!
This is one possible reason for just running the line over a stainless capped rail,as is done by commercial fish boats in Fundy.
Another point: my boat's bow cleats(P & S) are within a few inches of my chocks.I have foot long eyesplices on the boat end of shorelines.I have had no chafe-I assume-because there is no length of line from cleat thru chock to stretch & chafe on chock.

Roller chocks would be nice,I think-no experience.

https://www.google.com/search?client...h=517&dpr=1.15
Old 07-06-2023, 15:49   #13

Yes, I'd thought of just a chafe guard on the cap strip, but D. seemed to want chocks. As you know, here on the wet coast we have fairly substantial tides. And that, of course, is why all marinas have floating pontoons. With bullrails :-). Where the old government piers still exist, they have almost universally been augmented with a floating pontoon - not big, but just dandy for the dinghy. And with a ramp to allow for the tides.

D. may be in the Solent now, but last I had knowledge of his particular whereabouts he was in Rødhavn just south of Copenhagen, Dk. I just looked up the tides for the coming fortnight there. The greatest drop I found was from 0.19 metres to .03 metres. That is .16 metres, or just over six inches.

I actually believe it. Well do I remember tenting on the beaches of that tiny country when I wuz a kid there :-)

TP
Closed Thread

Tags
men