Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2020, 14:41   #16

Boat: Cal 2-27
Re: Help: internal fiberglass damage around keel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joefiss View Post
Yikes! I can't even get an offer on my O'day 27 "YOT" at $14,000. You know me as 25yearslater. https://forums.sailboatowners.com/th...begins.123244/
You did a great job on the rehab - why are you selling after putting in so much work?
jc.fuego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 15:00   #17

Boat: a sailing boat

Argh. Glad you did not buy it.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 16:19   #18

Boat: O'Day 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc.fuego View Post
You did a great job on the rehab - why are you selling after putting in so much work?
Several reasons jc. One is my sons did not find the joy in sailing that I do. Crew became a constant problem with personality issues. Some were looking for dates and some were just wanting boat rides. Two I have pretty much done everything I want to do on Lake Ontario. Three my Mrs. has Multiple Sclerosis and can not function on the boat and needs my assistance at home which limits how far I can venture in the event of an emergency. Life crapped on my parade for the most part. No disenchantment though. I might purchase a sailing dinghy when the 27 sells just for grins and giggles.
Joefiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 16:42   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joefiss View Post
Several reasons jc. One is my sons did not find the joy in sailing that I do. Crew became a constant problem with personality issues. Some were looking for dates and some were just wanting boat rides. Two I have pretty much done everything I want to do on Lake Ontario. Three my Mrs. has Multiple Sclerosis and can not function on the boat and needs my assistance at home which limits how far I can venture in the event of an emergency. Life crapped on my parade for the most part. No disenchantment though. I might purchase a sailing dinghy when the 27 sells just for grins and giggles.

Yeah, you should! I hope you can find a buyer that loves that boat as much as you!
Old 07-09-2020, 12:22   #20

Boat: Ericson 28/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc.fuego View Post
I'm new to sailing and searching for a boat to buy. I looked at a 1977 27' ericson today. Boat looks like it was well taken care of but I'm concerned about some fiberglass damage I saw around the keel. This is in the salon where there is a removable floor board to access the keel (forgive me for not knowing the terminology).

I'm guessing this is from a previous owner hitting the keel on something? Can anyone weigh-in please?

Avg value listed online for these boats is around 8-9k and owner has it listed for 16k which seems a big stretch given the damage.
The Ericson 27 keel is totally encapsulated. No keel bolts. What you see is where a lifting ring was located to lower the lead keel into the pocket.
Afrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 12:51   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrakes View Post
The Ericson 27 keel is totally encapsulated. No keel bolts. What you see is where a lifting ring was located to lower the lead keel into the pocket.
thats why a survey is not a bad idea ,and some research on the model!
anybody looking at the hull out the water would have realised it could not be a keel bolt
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 14:52   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrakes View Post
Thanks @Afrakes, had no idea encapsulated keels were a thing.

I would have had a survey done if I intended to purchase the boat but finding this scared me off.

Tags
fiberglass, keel