Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2020, 12:05   #76

Boat: Alberg 35 1966
Re: Help calculate fuel tank capacity

There are so many variables in the fuel usage /gph/mile of a sailboat that it doesn't make much sense, IMO, to sweat the calculation of the last drop of the tank's capacity.
(The other dimension to your question is how accurately if at all, you will measure the last gallons in the tank above the pickup pipe while under weigh. I would be interested in your comments on that).
From a practical standpoint, you would get close enough by using simple trigonometric calculations: Taking the dimensional diagrams that you have created, and use a ruler and square to reduce the main body of the tank to a cubic polygon when viewed from top and all sides. Calculate its volume V=LxHxW.
Now you are left with one or more prism shaped bodies. Reduce each to a right angled prism and apply V=1/2 Basex H x Depth.
For any remaining pieces you can continue this process, or ignore , or eyeball estimate.
If you really want to be anal about it, you can build a polystyrene model and measure that out to your heart's content....
Don't forget to subtract a few gallons to allow for the hight of the pickup point, and to check that the floor of the tank is level to the waterline of the boat.
Fair winds...
phstol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 12:18   #77

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
I would venture you definitely have LESS than 219 gallons:

Not sure where you went wrong, but your calculated volume is WAY off.

EVEN IF the tank was constructed as a regularly shaped rectangular object with parallel top and bottom, front and back and left and right sides, using ONLY the longer dimensions, and without clipped corners, the dimensions would be 52 Long, 31.54 Wide and 18.5 High, right? For a volume of 30,341.48 c.i., or 131.35 gallons.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 13:12   #78

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewgyver View Post
Did I miss something? When did the OP say anything about rust?
I think he only asked if the broker was blowing smoke at 100gal.. The consensus of opinion is it is pretty close.
How do people read things into it?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 21:21   #79

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewgyver View Post
Not sure where you went wrong, but your calculated volume is WAY off.

EVEN IF the tank was constructed as a regularly shaped rectangular object with parallel top and bottom, front and back and left and right sides, using ONLY the longer dimensions, and without clipped corners, the dimensions would be 52 Long, 31.54 Wide and 18.5 High, right? For a volume of 30,341.48 c.i., or 131.35 gallons.
You're absolutely right... I used the width twice instead of width and height. Ugh, I'm an idiot
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 20:58   #80

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
You're absolutely right... I used the width twice instead of width and height. Ugh, I'm an idiot
Yeah, when I took your product and divided by the length and height, it was obvious.

Meaning it was obvious that you used the 52" dimension twice, not that you're an idiot!
Can't tell you how many time's I've carefully measured, laid out, calculated, then cut wrong!
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2020, 07:13   #81

Boat: 1980 Catalina 25

7.48 gallons per cubic foot, 1728 cubic inches to a cubic foot.
I calculate 122.2 gallons minus 8% for expansion I would say 110 gallons
captwylie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, fuel, fuel tank