Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2020, 06:09   #46

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop
Re: Help calculate fuel tank capacity

Fuel tanks normally are vented, so thermal expansion will never rupture the tank but theoretically could push some fuel out through the vent. However, the coefficient of expansion is .00046/deg-F so a 100g tank holding 99g would still hold slightly less than 100g if temperature rises 20 degrees. Hard to envision a realistic scenario where thermal expansion is significant. Fill to top in winter, do not use for months is bad practice for many reasons. Anyway it is almost impossible to fill to the very top with most boats without chancing a nasty and potentially expensive fuel spill. I suspect most boaters like myself use a dipstick or gauge to determine the amount to add and watch the pump to cut off as planned. It's not like a car where the flow automatically cuts off at
'full'.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 06:47   #47

Hi
The tank on our Taswell49 is more complex. It's under the aft berth. We estimate it holds 450 liters.
SigaSiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 06:57   #48

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
Fill to top in winter, do not use for months is bad practice for many reasons. Anyway it is almost impossible to

Hi Dave, could you share please why filling up before decommissioning is bad?
I was told that a full tank is less prone to effects from condensation as there is less volume and surface area available for wringing moisture out of the air.
Old 05-04-2020, 08:34   #49

Boat: Hanse 505

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
You might like to know that a diesel like the 80 horse Yanmar will burn about 4 lbs of fuel per 10 HP per hour. A (US)gallon of diesel fuel weighs 7 lbs
(approx.). Therefore a diesel will "normally" use about half a gallon per 10 HP per hour.

In your boat I would expect that the "throttle" setting that will be appropriate for most operating conditions will be one that develops about 60HP. Therefore the consumption will be 6 x 1/2 = 3 gallons per hour. In consequence you would have fuel in the tank for about 33 hours of continual operation at 60HP output.
Very interesting to read your response TrentePieds! Somehow your estimate of 3gph seemed very high to me though and I looked up the numbers for my 75 HP Yanmar 4JH4-TE. At 2000 RPM (my normal power setting) my engine produces 45kW/60 HP and consumes 4 liters per hour...
N4585K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 09:22   #50

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
Fuel tanks normally are vented, so thermal expansion will never rupture the tank but theoretically could push some fuel out through the vent.
Obviously, you've never had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Murphy...
garyfdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 09:55   #51

N4585:

Thanx :-)

You are spot on, of course, which only proves that tables are but a starting point. Your own experience in your own boat is what really matters. 4 L/hr equates to "a gallon an hour". My little Beta20 going flat out uses a tad more than a litre an hour, at cruising revs a little less than a litre an hour, so we are in agreement.

Here is a link to the table whence the "half gallon per hour per ten HP" came.

https://barringtondieselclub.co.za/t...-aspirated.pdf

All that notwithstanding, my purpose was not to furnish the OP with definitive figures, but rather to set him thinking along certain useful lines. You have now helped me to do that, for which I thank you :-)

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 10:16   #52

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfdl View Post
Sorry implying that the coefficient of expansion of fuel isn't a factor would be incorrect. While it might not cause problems of bulging the tank, it could result in a spill, as someone already mentioned.

"A typical value of the coefficient of thermal expansion for diesel fuel is 0.00046 per degree Fahrenheit. Using this value, 1.000 gallon of diesel fuel at 20°F will expand to 1.037 gallons at 100°F."
Gary and others I stand corrected. Physics was ages ago so it appears liquids do expand. Not sure how significant it is practically 4 digits below the decimal point.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 10:54   #53

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Correction to my previous post. Had one dimension off by 10! Corrected volume of outside of tank is 104 gallons Inside maybe a gallon less of course. And assuming the sides are vertical.
Interesting how this thread wandered into fuel consumption and both fuel and water expansion with temperature!
When we accidentally ran out of fuel (new boat to me) and had to be towed the last mile to a fuel dock due to adverse wind direction, I was able to calibrate a dipstick for the tank. 140 gallon tank has such a deep vee that only 20 gallons are contained in the lower 1/3 of tank.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 11:00   #54

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
Correction to my previous post. Had one dimension off by 10! Corrected volume of outside of tank is 104 gallons Inside maybe a gallon less of course. And assuming the sides are vertical.
Interesting how this thread wandered into fuel consumption and both fuel and water expansion with temperature!
When we accidentally ran out of fuel (new boat to me) and had to be towed the last mile to a fuel dock due to adverse wind direction, I was able to calibrate a dipstick for the tank. 140 gallon tank has such a deep vee that only 20 gallons are contained in the lower 1/3 of tank.
Dip sticks don't lie when done like that.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 11:34   #55

Boat: Taswell 49

I've updated my sketches to include all sides with dimensions. My first side view was incorrect, please disregard. All sides appear to be vertical, so the top dimensions will equal the bottom dimensions. I have the sketches in pdf format. Hopefully that will make it easier to zoom in on the dimensions.
I want to thank everyone for their help and comments regarding my fuel tank.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Top.pdf (57.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: pdf Front.pdf (73.0 KB, 28 views)
File Type: pdf Left.pdf (57.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: pdf Rear.pdf (68.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: pdf Right Side.pdf (57.0 KB, 26 views)
mobern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 11:51   #56

Sorry I haven’t been able to monitor the “Fuel tank party” as closely as I would like to. I’m anchored off St. John, USVI with weak internet access. Looking through the responses, it appears that “Spot” recreated my tank correctly with his 3 dimensional sketch.
Old 05-04-2020, 12:10   #57

Actually Spot, the 15.5" to 18.5" would be from from front to back. I think your sketch shows those dimensions running from side to side.
Old 05-04-2020, 13:02   #58

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Hello Mobern,
Jealous of your location, hope all is well and crew is healthy.
First time was tapered front to back, this time outside to inside.
Still in the 112 to 114 us gallon range no matter how I model or guesstimate. I agree with others that you may want to lower that figure to add a reserve, calibrate a dipstick, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mobern2.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	212123  
Old 05-04-2020, 13:13   #59

Boat: Hanse 505

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
N4585:

Thanx :-)

You are spot on, of course, which only proves that tables are but a starting point. Your own experience in your own boat is what really matters. 4 L/hr equates to "a gallon an hour". My little Beta20 going flat out uses a tad more than a litre an hour, at cruising revs a little less than a litre an hour, so we are in agreement.

Here is a link to the table whence the "half gallon per hour per ten HP" came.

https://barringtondieselclub.co.za/t...-aspirated.pdf

All that notwithstanding, my purpose was not to furnish the OP with definitive figures, but rather to set him thinking along certain useful lines. You have now helped me to do that, for which I thank you :-)

TP

TP,

Thanks for your kind reply. I have learned so much from everyone here on CF. It is great to see so many great replies on such varied topics!
N4585K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 15:31   #60

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobern View Post
Is there anyone on the forum that can estimate the U S gallon capacity of my fuel tank ? Dimensions attached.
Depending on your circumstances and positioning of your tank it may be a good opportunity to drain the fuel, clean your tank then filter the fuel as you refill. If you use say a 20lt container you can get an exact measurement of your fuel capacity.
Plus as a bonus you know your tank is clean and your fuel clean. Win win win
lordgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, fuel, fuel tank