Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2022, 08:00   #1

helm pump

Hi everyone. I have to install a Garmin reactor 40 autopilot on my sailboat and the current helm pump doesn't have the non return valve which is required for the autopilot installation. The valve costs 450 euros with all the fittings so I am tempted to change the helm pump and buy a new one with the non return valve incorporated. The current helm pump requires around 5 turns lock to lock which seems a lot. I would like to buy a bigger helm pump which requires only 3.5 turns lock to lock but I am not sure if this will interfere somehow with the autopilot 1.2 litre Garmin pump. It is a 36feet Contest sailboat, the ram is 150 c3 and I am undecided between the Vetus htp 30 R and the htp 42R
AlexContest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2022, 08:09   #2

Re: helm pump

AlexContest,
No usefully informed comments are possible without knowing what kind and size of boat, the manufacturer of the steering system, and a lot of other details…
ItDepends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2022, 11:23   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

While generally agreeing with ItDepends, I would not expect a different helm pump to interfere with the autopilot. The autopilot is a helm pump, which replaces the manual pump when it is engaged. The non-return valve prevents the manual pump (the wheel) from working backwards and negating the action of the autopilot. Without it the wheel will turn rather than the rudder turning.
Old 31-05-2022, 00:18   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDepends View Post
AlexContest,
No usefully informed comments are possible without knowing what kind and size of boat, the manufacturer of the steering system, and a lot of other details…
I have updated some informations on the boat
Old 31-05-2022, 00:19   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
While generally agreeing with ItDepends, I would not expect a different helm pump to interfere with the autopilot. The autopilot is a helm pump, which replaces the manual pump when it is engaged. The non-return valve prevents the manual pump (the wheel) from working backwards and negating the action of the autopilot. Without it the wheel will turn rather than the rudder turning.
Thats what I thought but I wanted to be sure about it!
Old 31-05-2022, 01:11   #6

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Spend the extra money and buy an adjustable helm pump, Kobelt, Seastar, Seafirst and others. The Vetus pumps are very poor quality.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2022, 01:51   #7

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Spend the extra money and buy an adjustable helm pump, Kobelt, Seastar, Seafirst and others. The Vetus pumps are very poor quality.
After having gone through an entire configuration of a hydraulic steering system with Raymarine auto helm pump this year, I would suggest that this post is correct. Put out a little extra money and get the adjustable helm pump. It will have a non-return. as well.

That way you can dial it into the right number of turns lock to lock that you prefer.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2022, 04:11   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Alex.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2022, 07:23   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
After having gone through an entire configuration of a hydraulic steering system with Raymarine auto helm pump this year, I would suggest that this post is correct. Put out a little extra money and get the adjustable helm pump. It will have a non-return. as well.

That way you can dial it into the right number of turns lock to lock that you prefer.
what would you suggest for a 9 cubic inch cylinder?
Old 31-05-2022, 07:56   #10

Quote:
Old 31-05-2022, 07:58   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexContest View Post

I’m sorry. My manuals seem to be at the boat right now. I am not there. However, just ask the manufacturer of the helm pump you are looking to buy. That’s their specialty. They match the size to your ram.
Old 31-05-2022, 08:42   #12

Suggest a 1"-3" will give 9 turns loc to loc at one extreme and 3 turns loc to loc at the other and everything in between.
Old 01-06-2022, 23:15   #13

Quote:
Suggest a 1"-3" will give 9 turns loc to loc at one extreme and 3 turns loc to loc at the other and everything in between.
Those adjustable helm pumps look like they are great but it seems it is pretty difficult to get them here in Europe
Old 01-06-2022, 23:32   #14

Kobelt has a global network.

https://www.kobelt.com/where-to-buy/find-a-partner
Both Seastar and Seafirst are available through regular chandlers also world wide. even Amazon stock some items.
Old 02-06-2022, 02:14   #15

An example

https://www.maritimusboote.de/epages...2&Locale=en_GB

Tags
helm, pump