Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2018, 08:41   #1

Headlining/Hull lining

Good day,
New to small boats and yachts.
Last year we bought and old Tomahawk 25 and are in the process of refit.

Have read multiple threads on interior finish, foam backed vinyl, carpet, van liner etc but there has not been a mention of normal household floor vinyl. Could this be used?
The sections we are looking at now have a simple curve, so I believe it would bend OK. Is there some other reason people do not use it.

We are based in Malta.
Thanks in advance.
NeverTarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2018, 10:07   #2
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: Headlining/Hull lining

I would avoid sheet vinyl in that unless you have significant experience installing it will be very difficult to match the curvature of your boat. I would look at vinyl plank or tile as it will be much easier to work with but may have limited colors/pattern/textures compared to sheet. Only real downside is when vinyl/pvc burn, they put off a ton of toxic black smoke , so don’t.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2018, 23:46   #3

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Maybe do a google (or duckduckgo) on something like
"headliner boat foam backed vinyl vs carpet liner vs vinyl tiles"

A lot of people have asked the same sort of question and tried different products.

Clive
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2018, 03:40   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, NeverTarry.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2018, 23:37   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
.... Only real downside is when vinyl/pvc burn, they put off a ton of toxic black smoke , so don’t.
Thanks rbk, yes I was thinking of tiles or planks, never thought about it burning, are you saying best not to use it or simply don't burn it ?

Cheers GordMay!

Hi Clive yes I have googled and googled even duckducked and read countless posts about carpet, wood, Formica, foam and felt, but have yet to come across anyone that has mentioned using household vinyl.

I would prefer something that can be wiped. Felt , carpet, Hawke House 'carpet' seem to be easier than foam backed vinyl to install which seems to be really hard to get a wrinkle free finish. Hence the thought of using some kind of sheet material that can bend..

There must be a reason why it is not popular?
Old 27-11-2018, 02:11   #6

Hi NeverTarry

I used "carpet" headliner in the main cabin but laminex (formica) over the galley. I could use formica because it was not a compound curve but it was very easy to place.

The carpet headliner is very easy to install too but the last time I recommended it to someone he said he couldn't use it as his deck leaks and the carpet would stain!!

You didn't mention vinyl tiles? Maybe that would be the way to go? But why not use contact cement to stick vinyl floor covering to the underside of the deck? I've found the cheapest source of formica (or carpet) is the tradesmen who are more than happy to sell you some off-cuts in return for a little cash.

You might get some ideas from here.
https://www.google.com/search?q=boat...bQdoHfD4Aue3M:

Clive
Old 27-11-2018, 04:51   #7

Maybe something here?

https://www.bestlaminate.com/blog/ca...sed-on-a-boat/

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ypes-9297.html

Clive
Old 27-11-2018, 05:15   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Headlining/Hull lining

Living in Portugal I feel I have to promote one of its superb home grown products..
100% natural, excellent insulation, easy to work with, sold in many types and forms from tiles to cork leather..
Well worth consideration unless your looking for the cheapest option.

Cork rolls and sheets - CorkLink - cork products direct from PortugalCork rolls and sheets - CorkLink - cork products direct from Portugal

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2018, 08:06   #9
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverTarry View Post
Thanks rbk, yes I was thinking of tiles or planks, never thought about it burning, are you saying best not to use it or simply don't burn it ?

Cheers GordMay!

Hi Clive yes I have googled and googled even duckducked and read countless posts about carpet, wood, Formica, foam and felt, but have yet to come across anyone that has mentioned using household vinyl.

I would prefer something that can be wiped. Felt , carpet, Hawke House 'carpet' seem to be easier than foam backed vinyl to install which seems to be really hard to get a wrinkle free finish. Hence the thought of using some kind of sheet material that can bend..

There must be a reason why it is not popular?
Ya just don’t burn it. They make acoustic backed vinyl plank but I was thinking more along the lines of harbinger craftsman series or Armstrong makes a similar vinyl plank as well, which can easily be bent cold for most curvatures (3/16” thick) and apply a heat gun for even more flexibility.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2018, 23:23   #10

Many thanks for the responses, have found a Vinyl supplier who also fits out super yachts (we don't have Home Depot , B&Q or Bunnings here!), hope I got the message across about our humble craft!

Any way its seems worth pursuing, he has 2mm and 1mm they use for walls.

On a slightly different tack boatman61 mentioned the insulation qualities of cork. How important is insulation in the lining? The deckhead has wooden panels covered with vinyl on battens so that should be fine, we are 'just' doing the 500mm cabin sides.

Tags
head, hull