Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2014, 16:52   #1

Boat: Jonmeri 40
Headliner material - vinyl + foam

Looking for feedback on how specific types of vinyl headliner by known manufacturers have performed.

My 1986 Jonmeri 40 has 37 molded FRP headliner panels, snap in and out of aluminum tracking attached to the ceiling and grooves set into the teak cabinetry. Just four years ago I replaced the original (European-made) vinyl and foam with Nautolex lite over 6mm automotive-grade foam. That original 24-yr-old vinyl was in very good condition except had picked up a pinkish hue. The Nautolex vinyl was originally parchment white. From the start, in the tropics, black mold spots were a problem. This "marine-grade" vinyl proved unable to stand up to any type of dirt or stain. Within 2 years the white had turned to mustard-y yellow. At this point even bleach, microfiber sponges, and GooGone can't touch the mold and stains in the fabric.

The foam has held up perfectly, same with the adhesive. Still, I am looking at stripping everything off and applying new vinyl headliner material. Before purchasing and shipping half-way around the world, I would like to gain some level of confidence that I won't experience the same problems. As of now I'm looking at these two options:

1 - Morbern is now manufacturing a new headliner material for Sailrite (so new it's not even on the web site yet, but is in stock) - made from the Seabrook line of vinyl with flame-laminated foam. Does anyone have experience with the Seabrook vinyl?

2 - Defender's headliners are manufactured by Bainbridge. I suspect there are many boats out there with some years of experience with this line. Stands up to mold? Easy to clean? Perforated or smooth finish?

Re any pre-laminated vinyl -- does the foam stay where it's supposed to, especially if used year-round in the tropics?

Comments on the brands above or others will be greatly appreciated.

Alii
Alii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 17:33   #2

Re: Headliner material - vinyl + foam

Clarification - Defender's headliners are manufactured either by Redrum (Glen Raven -- ID'd as such on the Defender site) or by Bainbridge (the other headliner products which do not have any manufacturer shown on-line). I would appreciate hearing from those with experience with either line.

Also, apart from the vinyl as manufactured, pros/cons using anti-fungal products over time.
Old 27-10-2014, 18:18   #3

Boat: 44'
Alii,

We needed to replace all headliners in our boat and after some deliberation we went with a vinyl from SailRite with a tufted cotton backing. The idea was partly noise reduction and partly cosmetic. We removed the panels, used them as templates and applied the vinyl with spray glue. 4 years on they have no mold, no sagging, and have not noticeably changed color. We had to re-create one of the panels for a vent that was fitted later and ordered more from SailRite. Put it up side by side to the old stuff and no color difference. It washes clean with gentle soap, but it rarely gets soiled at all.
Jehoshaphat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:18   #4

How disappointing -- the Redrum headliner carried by Defender is the same as "Nautolex," the yellowed junk I'm getting rid of. Can only hope that Sailrite's new custom-made product is far better.
Old 18-12-2014, 19:51   #5

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Ask sailrite to send you a sample. Before purchase.

Sent from my iPad SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 19:53   #6

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Your local upholstery shops going to have Marine Headliner in stock, most of them do.

Sent from my iPad SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, headliner