Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2011, 14:21   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Re: Hatches & Ports - Quality, Price, Dependability

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
I'd like opening... I think my second option was Vetus.
The fact that beckson failed to answer my question about their CE classification made me second guess.

But, what exactly is wrong with cheap plastic? is it just a cosmetic issue? Is it gonna break out of the cabin side from a breaking wave (wouldn't the lens go first?) How bad is 'cheap' plastic for cabin side portholes? (aside from looking like a cheapass)
Here's what our Beckson's looked like... Considering the time, labor and expense to replace them the additional cost of the New Found Metals ports was a no brainer for us..

They were literally brittle and crumbling..

Old 15-10-2011, 16:04   #32

Boat: Tartan 30

interesting..

So how about a decent mid-grade port? Plastimo? Vetus? I like the sound of those Vetus ones that don't require through bolting, and still have a CE-A rating.
(these)

I really can't afford $500 per port from NFM, as nice as they are. But $150 a port I can handle
Old 16-10-2011, 09:57   #33

it looks like Lewmar ~6 x 12 run $175-200. I dont know if those fit your holes or not though.. The Beckson plastic are surprisingly tough, and do go bad after 15 years or so. If you are not preparing an around the world boat they might be fine and easy. Solid bronze will be a lot more weight above the center of gravity. what size is your opening? Fiberglass filled nylon is used for thru hull valves so I guess it work work for an improvement over the beckson. You're getting into unknown territory though.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 10:22   #34

Boat: Tartan 30

Well, those Vetus ones come in aluminum also, for just a few bucks more. looks like it might be better than the plastics. I currently have 35 year old aluminum and they still work, but 2 are non-opening and the 2 that open are pretty rough looking. They're all 7-14" (I think).

Anything under $200 would be nice. 15 years a good amount of time, I doubt I'll own this boat that long (i have 2 footitis!) but for a few bucks more, aluminum would probably be the better option in the long run.

I haven't even looked at the lewmars yet, assuming they would be more expensive...