Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2019, 09:29   #16

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25
Re: Has anyone tried using an insecticide additive with LPU?

I think it is a great idea, if LP will allow it to work. A worthy experiment at least. We bought a house in a buggy area and when it finally quits raining we have ants up the wazoo looking for egress to get water. The previous owner painted the kitchen walls behind all the cabinets using the insecticide additive and we have never had an ant in the kitchen. I have been painting the outside of the house as I go around it replacing rotted wood and windows and doors and have been using the insect additive there. We hope one day that we will only have one billion bugs in the yard and just rodents and spiders occasionally in the house. I also use the mildew additive in our sunroom ceilings.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:48   #17

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Consult with the manufacturer of the paint. You wouldn't want to mess up its chemistry for how it cures.

For mosquito prophylaxis, you need screens, and if you're going to be out there with them, you need insect repellent. Although, if your chrysanthemum based insecticide is used for children's sleepwear and bedding, you could probably use it to impregnate your clothing, and it would be fun to watch bugs settle on you and die.

We had a cockpit net, contrived from a bed net soaked in permethrins, that worked that way, and we felt safe to be out of doors behind our net in a high malaria area (the Solomon Is.) I also had a long sleeved blouse and a long skirt, similarly treated, that I wore if we had to go ashore. However, I did use DEET on my exposed skin areas. Never bitten. Lucky, but also, we were very careful. Mosquito prophylaxis is very important to me, and also against sandflies.

Ann
Ann, I assume sandflies are gnats, noseeems or whatever the local term is. If treating screening keeps those nasty little things from going right on through screen the suggestion is worth a million. Thanks
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:43   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Ann, I assume sandflies are gnats, noseeems or whatever the local term is. If treating screening keeps those nasty little things from going right on through screen the suggestion is worth a million. Thanks
No-see-um screen is readily available. But the finer the screen, the more breeze it blocks too. The thing is, most of these pests come out about sundown for a short while mostly. Occasionally more often, or after rain. Some harbors not at all, others bad. You learn the cycles and deal with it accordingly.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:39   #19

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightSEALAB View Post
Was just pondering this as I gear up to paint my boat inside and out. With the rise in insect carried illness (zika and such) having a permanent insecticide coating on the boat might be a real help. I have used the stuff in housepaints and am always impressed with how well it works, but don't know how well it would play with an LPU.
Is there a rise in “zika and stuff”?
Insecticide paint would have to be the most questionable “solution”.
Old 01-08-2019, 15:28   #20

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Yes, they are like noseeums. Our one experience with noseeum netting corroborates Cheekako's statement. It WILL keep them out, but it keeps out the air, too.

What I have done, is to treat the outside of the screens with surface spray, which is supposed to be good for 3 months. It does deter approach, but the sandflies think I am some kind of ambrosia or something, and I have to cover up--they can't bite through even light gauze. They will come out over 100 m from shore to have a taste. I hate 'em.

It is all in how much you don't want to get mosquito borne diseases. Some of them are so nasty, as well as occasionally life threatening, that I think serious prophylaxis is the way to go. Others mmv.

We learned to carry methaqualone (Larium) for treatment only, because you don't want the local mosquitos' symbiotes to evolve to be resistant. Larium is still effective to treat malaria some places, and, to me, it would be leaving a very dirty wake to make the locals death from malaria rate go up. Larium is not recommended if you do SCUBA, either.

Cheers,

Ann

But, for the OP, DON'T ADD SOMETHING THAT WILL INTERFERE WITH THE CURING OF THE LPU. Find out from the manufacturer. I, too, don't think it would do what you're looking for, it dries sealed, smooth, and will not release insecticide.
Old 01-08-2019, 15:47   #21

Boat: Allied Mistress CC 39

Quote:
Was just pondering this as I gear up to paint my boat inside and out. With the rise in insect carried illness (zika and such) having a permanent insecticide coating on the boat might be a real help. I have used the stuff in housepaints and am always impressed with how well it works, but don't know how well it would play with an LPU.
YES! and this is why I keep coming here:for the ponderings
Mistress Sirena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 10:09   #22

Boat: 1996 Carver 355 Aft Cabin

About 30 years ago I was in the pest control business. We used these paint type treatments a lot. I see some of these products say they kill "most" crawling and flying inspects when they crawl on the surface. Such products do work well to control crawling bugs like roaches and ants for a year (sometimes longer) but they do nothing to control flying insects and control spiders very poorly (because spiders stay on webs and avoid the surfaces). The disease carriers are all flying bugs, so the insecticide additive will likely do nothing to deter them.
Capt Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 19:32   #23

Boat: Pelin Sterling 26

Ecos is correct. LPU will lock in the incecticide whereas acrylics breathe and will probably be OK.
sand6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 07:47   #24

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
I think there is a misunderstanding of just what this insecticide is.

The insecticide most used is deltamethrin, a synthesized version of an ester produced by chrysanthemums. It is used in treated mosquito nets, and even a laundry treatment designed to infuse bedding and children's pajamas.

The chemical is oderless and does not out-gas from the treated surface. There is no "fog". It works much like copper-coat does below the waterline. There is nothing in the additive half as dangerous as the stuff in Interlux Perfection (not singling them out, just the last paint I read the SDS for lately).

It is a product approved for application to residential walls. Nurseries and hospital rooms. It's a common paint treatment in homes where bug-born illness is a thing.

And I figured, with the advance of these illness vectors lately in Florida and the Caribbean especially, some cruiser might have thought of going this route.

The additive specifies an oil or water-latex paint, but LPU is not a common residential wall paint base (I don't think anyway)so maybe it's just not something that's come up.
Ever look at list of FDA Approved, then not approved, drugs and Chemicals.
It's a rabbit hole of politics.
Watch out!
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 09:50   #25

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Angry Re: Has anyone tried using an insecticide additive with LPU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
Ever look at list of FDA Approved, then not approved, drugs and Chemicals.
It's a rabbit hole of politics.
Watch out!
SV Cloud Duster
You are right. Is it FDA or EPA? Probably both and maybe another agency or two. There may be a Congressional committee they have one of those for everything.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 20:58   #26
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

I think there is a misunderstanding as to what LPU paint is. By the way there are acrylic and urethane LPUs I don't think either are very breathable. Think car paint. Both are already toxic to humans and insects. So there you go!
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 22:15   #27
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
I think there is a misunderstanding as to what LPU paint is. By the way there are acrylic and urethane LPUs I don't think either are very breathable. Think car paint. Both are already toxic to humans and insects. So there you go!
They are only toxic until they cure, from which point they become inert.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote