Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2020, 08:01   #1

Boat: Freedom 39 PHS
Hardware for cockpit table

Hey all,
One of my winter projects is building a new lightweight wood cockpit table with leaves, to replace the edson clunker without em. I'm also switching from a 1" grab rail to a 1.25" one, and I have the old style wrap-around flange for the wire table support to slot into when the table is deployed. Edson would love to sell me some of the newer collar-style table clamps for $50 a pop, but there just has to be some industrial fitting out there that does the job. Been scouring McMaster-Carr etc but I need a good search term to look for.

Would anyone have any idea what one of these would be called? It looks like they just have a guy bodge the socket on to a standard U clamp. I'm sure that's a $1 job in most parts of the world, but not in mine sadly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ripoff2.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	228567  
Attached Images

CaptAirman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2020, 09:14   #2

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy
Re: Hardware for cockpit table

For this one I would say 50$ is a good deal, considering it is forged or cast stainless and not a typical 'muffler clamp' setup.

The one that annoys me is a 50 cent cent stamped plate and 3 screws sold as a 10-15$ mounting kit when it should have come in the box with the 200-300$ device.
Old 13-12-2020, 09:23   #3

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

If you’re building the table, then you can build the clamps. I did mine by boring two blocks of wood the diameter of the pedestal stand (usually 1”, but can be 7/8”), then sawed those in half vertically to make clamp halves. Route the edges before boring the complimenting radius of the table edge route. Attach the table hinges to the table side (facing away from the pedestal), then attach each hinged half to the opposite half of each clamp with machine screws. Mine have worked fine for 25 years. Teak, they match the teak of the table itself. Only downside is they would like to be varnished as often as the table is. Cheap, maybe cost $5 total, in my book classier, more graceful than heavy metal clamps.
Old 13-12-2020, 10:05   #4

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyrouse View Post
If you’re building the table, then you can build the clamps. I did mine by boring two blocks of wood the diameter of the pedestal stand (usually 1”, but can be 7/8”), then sawed those in half vertically to make clamp halves. Route the edges before boring the complimenting radius of the table edge route. Attach the table hinges to the table side (facing away from the pedestal), then attach each hinged half to the opposite half of each clamp with machine screws. Mine have worked fine for 25 years. Teak, they match the teak of the table itself. Only downside is they would like to be varnished as often as the table is. Cheap, maybe cost $5 total, in my book classier, more graceful than heavy metal clamps.
Good idea.
Do the clamps need to be much larger/wider than the hinges?
Are the hinge screws the ones holding the clamp together?
Any pictures?
Thanks.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2020, 12:10   #5

No, they need to be the width of the hinges plus the rounded ends. I’m not at the boat at present, but will either this afternoon or tomorrow. I’ll be glad to send you pictures. PM?
Old 13-12-2020, 15:18   #6

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
No, they need to be the width of the hinges plus the rounded ends. I’m not at the boat at present, but will either this afternoon or tomorrow. I’ll be glad to send you pictures. PM?
Sure, thanks!
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2020, 15:25   #7

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Mickeyrouse, if possible, could they be posted here too please?
Old 13-12-2020, 18:13   #8

Sure thing
Old 14-12-2020, 08:28   #9

Boat: Lazy Jack 32

My old boat came with two holes in the galley cockpit sole where posts once went but no posts and no table. The hole diameter was a weird size , but it turned out that recreational vehicle supply stores had the hardware: https://www.campingworld.com/sequoia...ble-legs-bases
My table didn't have leaves, though.
Lazy Jack 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 10:00   #10

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Another option is to get rid of the table support rod that fits into those slots and go with a stainless steel folding bracket (https://www.sugatsune.com/product/st...ing-bracket-2/).

I made the change for my cockpit table and they work wonders. Lift with one hand and snaps in place. Folds up nicely against the binnacle grab rail when not in use. I bought mine from Fisheries Supply in Seattle. (https://www.fisheriessupply.com/suga...3-ep-eb-303-ep)
Old 14-12-2020, 13:10   #11

Boat: Tartan 37C

Following, I can't wait to see the photo's. I'm going about the same project now.
Captain Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 17:34   #12

Boat: 1979 O'Day 28

I've been looking for a solid cockpit table. After a bunch of Edson variations I came upon this company. Lagun USA. It gets away from a center mounted table. It's just an adjustable support system attached to any vertical cockpit surface. You find your own table top. I think its a game changer. Bought it but won't install until Spring. Good luck.
billdre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 18:44   #13

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46
Hardware for cockpit table

I’ve got the Lagun. I’ll probably change to a different setup when I’ve the time. It is well made for sure.
The issue for me is that using the pedestal as a table support, and the Lagun on one side of the cockpit, ends up making things tight.
I’d rather a setup where the non-pedestal end of the table is supported from the middle, leaving more (I hope) leg room. I’ve had tables like that before.
I think I can rearrange the existing bits to do the job.
Of course it came with the boat and has not been a priority. As I said, it is well made.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2020, 11:34   #14

Boat: 1979 O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfelsent View Post
I’ve got the Lagun. I’ll probably change to a different setup when I’ve the time. It is well made for sure.
The issue for me is that using the pedestal as a table support, and the Lagun on one side of the cockpit, ends up making things tight.
I’d rather a setup where the non-pedestal end of the table is supported from the middle, leaving more (I hope) leg room. I’ve had tables like that before.
I think I can rearrange the existing bits to do the job.
Of course it came with the boat and has not been a priority. As I said, it is well made.
My reason for buying the Lagun is that the table doesn't need any other support. It frees up the space completely by letting you put the table and support away in the cabin, bring it out when needed. Only the mounting plate on the wall of the lazarette stays. No need to attach to the pedestal.
billdre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2020, 18:58   #15

Boat: Freedom 39 PHS

Quote:
If you’re building the table, then you can build the clamps. I did mine by boring two blocks of wood the diameter of the pedestal stand (usually 1”, but can be 7/8”), then sawed those in half vertically to make clamp halves.
Brilliant idea! I'm a lot more handy with wood than stainless. Looking forward to seeing any pictures of peoples' solutions.

I'm sure the Edson parts are of a high quality but this is a table mounting bracket not a critical piece of deck hardware. It needs to last but it certainly doesn't need to be a jazzy forged part. I'm gonna scavenge all the harware off the existing table but the sockets for the wire support to slot into are the only things that won't carry over.

The old Edson table, for as much it cost, appears to have had a veneer that has come off exposing glue on the table top. I can replace it with good marine ply half the weight and thickness, and laminate it to the point it'll be at least as strong. Epoxy and varnish and it'll be low maintenance and pretty. I'll bump this thread whenever I get done with it.
CaptAirman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cockpit, hardware