Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2017, 22:40   #1

Boat: C&L Sea Ranger 36, Columbia Payne 9.6
Hard dodger for classic sloop...suggestions?

I'm seeking suggestions for a hard dodger on my Hallberg-Rassy 33 Mistral. Below is a stock photo of the model, mine is the same (with mahogany cabin sides and teak decks). There is no dodger currently on the vessel.

I'm looking for something that won't consumer more than 100-200 hours or so of work. I have experience with carpentry and fiberglass. I'll probably hinge the forward facing windows. I'd like partial coverage of the cockpit (< 1/3). I do not want it to be unsightly or over-engineered. I do not need standing headroom.

Any suggestions? I've thought long and hard about the soft vs hard dodger debate, and have decided to go with another hard (I liked the one on my Albin Vega). So no need to try and convince me otherwise.

I've considered/am considering the dodger made by CKD boats:

Old 07-07-2017, 23:16   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Hard dodger for classic sloop...suggestions?

If you do a search using my handle along with the term "hard dodger", you'll get lots of hits, containing loads of info. As I've written about them at length, several times a year since I've been a member here. Also, visit Snowpetrel's excellent blog. He has an outstanding build of one. Including what features he included, & why. Along with what materials were used where, & the rational behind their use.

One other resource is www.DixDesign.com & some of his boats that have been professionally built in SA. As quite a number of them have hard dodgers, with many being built of multiple laminates of thin, bending ply(wood).

PS: Check the boats designed for solo/short-handed racing, including the factory built boats, as they have LOTS of great features. And many of them are but well thought out extensions of the coach house roof. Albeit with Lexan as much of the overhead "paneling", along with the forward & side windows of course.
Various Pogo designs, some of the single/double-handed French one design classes, etc. As such fleets, & racing boats are always advancing the arc on hard dodgers, & their utility. So much so that I'd hate to own a boat without one featuring many of their built in niceties.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:25   #3

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

The hard dodger in the photo would look very much out of place on the above pictured boat.

One of mine, built of wood, has circumnavigated.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 04:03   #4

Boat: Presto 36

I like the CKD dodger pictured, however the top would need to be lowered somewhat to look good on your 33 Mistral IMHO.
Seabeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:52   #5

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanVagrant View Post
I'm seeking suggestions for a hard dodger on my Hallberg-Rassy 33 Mistral. Below is a stock photo of the model, mine is the same (with mahogany cabin sides and teak decks). There is no dodger currently on the vessel. I'm looking for something that won't consumer more than 100-200 hours or so of work. I have experience with carpentry and fiberglass. I'll probably hinge the forward facing windows. I'd like partial coverage of the cockpit (< 1/3). I do not want it to be unsightly or over-engineered. I do not need standing headroom... /
Hi! Your sailboat is one of my favorite for its elegant classical lines & you should be carefull not to destroy it. Maybe, I would compromise with a two part solution: 1) The traditionnal HR windshield & the Oceanis "hoop" (I'm not sure of the term). I also like the Oceanis "hoop" for it allows you to have the mainsheat traveller close to the end of the boom while (Depending where you sail) keeping plenty of ventilation when needed Cheers !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oceanis_45.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	151455   Click image for larger version

Name:	HR34.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	151456  

ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:32   #6

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I've been rolling designs for my own around too. Have you thought of starting with a boom gallows and then designing the dodger to incorporate that? I have been thinking forward of gallows is hard, tied in to sea hood, and aft is soft and rollable or removeable. Got any photos of the Vega's?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:19   #7

Boat: Scout 30

If you make the sides out of mahogany to match the trunk cabin it'll look like it's part of the original design rather than an addition. A beautiful boat deserves a beautiful dodger.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:56   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Can't quite remember were this came from but thought it looked quite smart.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hardtop.JPG
Views:	767
Size:	257.5 KB
ID:	151469  
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 12:01   #9

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

7--that is a very good looking example, presumably built to match the aesthetics of a particular yacht.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 18:43   #10

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

American Vagrant, I just googled "hard dodger for Halberg Rassey 33", and there are heaps of pics of different ideas for them. Why don't you have a look? Good luck with it.

Ann
Old 08-07-2017, 19:32   #11

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig

I have an Ex BOC single handed 50' boat it needs a hard dodger, your comment on solo sailor dog houses are interesting, do I understand some are made/molded completely from Lexan? Where is your handle and how do I explore Your PS comment. As I fully agree with you I have seen some very practical design innovation I would also like to adapt to my future dog house. I have some photos on this site, of my boat if any one has some idea for a dog house and who could build one for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
If you do a search using my handle along with the term "hard dodger," you'll get lots of hits, containing loads of info. As I've written about them at length, several times a year since I've been a member here. Also, visit Snowpetrel's excellent blog. He has an outstanding build of one. Including what features he included, & why. Along with what materials were used where, & the rational behind their use.

One other resource is www.DixDesign.com & some of his boats that have been professionally built in SA. As quite a number of them have hard dodgers, with many being built of multiple laminates of thin, bending ply(wood).

PS: Check the boats designed for solo/short-handed racing, including the factory built boats, as they have LOTS of great features. And many of them are but well thought out extensions of the coach house roof. Albeit with Lexan as much of the overhead "paneling", along with the forward & side windows of course.
Various Pogo designs, some of the single/double-handed French one design classes, etc. As such fleets, & racing boats are always advancing the arc on hard dodgers, & their utility. So much so that I'd hate to own a boat without one featuring many of their built in niceties.
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 21:28   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

I would really suggest getting in touch with HR. They made a lot of boats with dodgers and may have a mold sitting in storage somewhere for your boat. If so I suspect it will look far better than an aftermarket one.

Frankly I think the HR-33 is too pretty to mess with her lines... I get it, it just makes me cry a little.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 15:15   #13

Boat: C&L Sea Ranger 36, Columbia Payne 9.6

Uncivilized - thanks for your suggestions, will continue with some research and heed your suggestions

Terra Nova - Appreciate the comment, hopefully we can make something work

Seabeau - I agree, the size overall would actually be scaled down about 33%

ALAIN - I agree with your suggestion, unfortunately this model never came with a windshield, and the hoop would be far too costly to retrofit

Don - I have definitely considered integrating a gallows into it, it all just comes down to my ability to execute in a way that works. Check out my website for a shot of the hard dodger on my old Vega

Scout - Good call!

Pete - That is a good looking dodger, I can only hope to produce something with such a good fit/finish (in a style that fits my boat).

JPA Cate - I've tried that search before but none of the returns are HR33's (aside from a few w/ soft dodgers). The ones I'm seeing have significantly different lines. The only picture I found of a classic sloop with a hard dodger looked pretty unfortunate.

Stumble - Thanks for the suggestion, HR is unable to help with this model.
Old 11-07-2017, 17:17   #14

Boat: J/42

That one at the top of the thread looks very close (not quite) to what I've drawn, just trying to match the existing angles on my boat. The height is determined basically by the height of my nose when standing barefoot in the cockpit, so I can see over it. Which works out to be about right for sitting under it, too.
Still struggling with the length issue though... is that dodger as shown long enough to get out of rain and sun? May need some kind of small canvas piece behind it.
Another factor to consider is whether to put some solar on top, and what dimensions would that require?
My experimental approach: Download drawings from sailboat data and draw a bunch of dumb ideas (done). Then make some mock-ups with cardboard or doorskins, sticks and hot glue and tweak until delusions of adequacy set in. (Collected materials, but the summer is so short! Better sail!) Then execute in marine ply and fiberglass over the winter.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 08:21   #15
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Jacob,

Your inbox is not recieving new messages. Here's what I was going to send you:

Jacob,

Thanks for the inquiry. Unfortunately, we do not service any peninsula marinas. Try these guys and tell 'em I sent ya:

Stem to Stern Boating Services
(510) 681-3831
john@stemtosternsf.com

David Laird Diving Services
(650) 823-1086
lairdjd@prodigy.net

Industrial Marine Services
(415) 515-7586
[email]crispatus@m
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dodger, sloop