Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 13:03   #1

Handyman Help Needed

Does anybody know of a reliable handyman that can do some work on my sail boat in Palmas Del Mar on the S.E. coast of Pueto Rico. Please & thank you.
PuraVidaBode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 13:53   #2

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Eleuthera 60
re: Handyman Help Needed

There is a guy who drives around in a hearse. Ask at the office about him. He helped me out on a couple projects. And could have charged me a lot more than he did and I would still have been happy.

I liked palmas. Except for the entry into the harbor.

Mike
S/V Vivo
mikefp60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:20   #3

Boat: contessa 32

Every spring during fit out when the weather first gets warm and/ college and H.S.get out I put up posters that read: Help wanted for restoration of sailboat ,flexible hours, etc.etc..An ad along these lines will surely generate some young help who are want to a make some cash ( I pay more than any casual job) but are not really looking for a career.

Of course I work right along with them for oversight and use them for "grunt" type jobs like sanding ,cleaning ,varnishing, applying masking tape ,etc. .Best workers seem to be 20 yo. or less, both male and female,any older and the novelty wears off too quickly.

Because of weather constraints and my own ,we rarely get in more than 3/4 days per week, but that is usually fine with these free spirits and have made some good friends in the past, 2 of which (males only) have come on short cruises with me iwhere it was my pleasure to introduce them to the beauty of the sea.
It is also my pleasure to get many onerous tasks done in short order while my flexible friends relive me of the many contortions required on so many repairs, all for the cost of a few hundred dollars.
I taught chemistry and earth science for 3years and have always enjoyed the freshness that these young folks bring to any endeavor. Don't however , expect a long term employee; after a few weeks they start thinking there must be a better way,which is fine with me ,I'm now ready to go cruising.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:25   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, PuraVidaBode.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote