Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2008, 18:21   #1

Boat: Gulfstar 37 - Perseverence
Gulfstar 37 skeg backing plate corrosion

Has anyone had to replace the skeg backing plate on their Gulfstar 37? I was adjusting the steering cables on mine the other day and I noticed that large chunks of the plate had literally corroded away...seems like the previous owner tightened the bolts down, there is no leakage or anything, just the plate seems to be almost all corroded away.

It appears to be made out of a fairly thick piece of mild steel, not the best thing for this area.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so, what did you do about it? Any ideas?

If you don't know what I mean by the skeg backing plate, remove the "floor" in your aft lazarette and you will see the steering cables and rudder post. Look right in front of the rudder post and there is a plate with several large nuts on top of it...or they should be if the plate is still there.

I'll get some pictures next time. Any ideas or experience appreciated.
jlogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 16:24   #2

Boat: KP 44
skeg plate

When we purchased Slacker that was one of the first things we addresed. After a good wire brushing (ss) paint on some OSPHO which is a phosphoric acid-based compound that converts rust. Let it dry then paint. We did the prop strut backing plate at the same time.

Mike

GS 37
Mazatlan MX
slacker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
corrosion, gulfstar