Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2017, 07:38   #1

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc
Grommets

Can anyone give me some good info on purchasing and installing grommets. I purchased a grommet machine the Yescom 3 Die (#0 #2 #4) Hand Press Grommet Machine and 900 Pcs Golden Grommets Eyelet Tool Kit

I now realize the brass grommets are not brass and will corrode quickly.
I've looked at 304 stainless as I cannot find a good source of real brass grommets.
I now find that there are two types of grommet, sheet metal and rolled edge, and only the right one fits in the machine. I don't know which is the right one. It seems the vendors of grommets try as hard as they can to sell you the wrong item.
I need #0, #2 and #4 sized grommets in real brass or stainless to fit this machine, any help greatly appreciated.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 08:33   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Grommets

Talk to a botique sailmaker, or canvas shop, & regular sailmakers have them too. Also try sailrite, & places which sell supplies for a lot of DIY outdoor sewing projects.

You'd be wise too, to pick up The Sailmaker's Apprentice. It covers lots & lots on grommets, of all types, even the sort you make yourself from rope, & sew in place. But the biggest aid in it to you will be in the instructionals on reinforcing material properly in the vicinity of them.

BTW, prior to ordering any online or via the phone, use a dial caliper & measure all of the surfaces of your tools which interact with the grommet to press it into shape. Ditto the spec's of the grommets which you currently have that work with it, but that are the wrong material. As it should make it more likely for you to get exactly what you need.
And of course, take your tools with you when shopping for grommets in person. Ditto a magnet & a compass, to check for steel under the brass (plating).

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 08:34   #3

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Also try sailrite, & places which sell supplies for a lot of DIY outdoor sewing projects.
I tried Sailrite, where we bought the sewing machine (fabricator, really nice), but they don't have 1/2" on their site, because they do not recommend plain grommets for marine use. My grommet machine only does plain grommets, so I am screwed.
I think I will order some spur grommets from Sailrite and a manual tool.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 08:38   #4

Both call, & email them. And if on the odd chance they don't have them, they'll know who does.

Best if you can find a local source, so you can try them out on the spot. So that if they work, you can buy some in bulk. As they're forever handy, like spare/extra fasteners.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
Old 17-08-2017, 08:43   #5

Boat: Dickerson 37AC

I acquired a bunch of die sets and hole punches made by CS Osbourne.

My first project was turning 2 large wedding tents bought at auction into a fitted boat cover.

I used #4 spur grommets from Stimpson and they are solid brass not plated.

It looks like they also make them in Stainless Steel.

I bought packs of 50 on ebay and I recall they were reasonably price but very high quality and made in the USA.

https://stimpson.com/grommets/stainl...her-options-2/
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 09:22   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

First off brass grommets are made of brass. Over time they'll turn green but shouldn't corrode. My choice if I can find them are nickel plated brass grommets.

You may run into brass plated steel grommets, but they should be labeled as "brass plated".

The really cheap installation tools don't come with a real arch punch but just a piece of tubing that is sharpened on one end. I actually like this better. Instead of trying to hammer it through the fabric, I chuck it in a drill, give it a spin and it cuts right through leaving a nice clean hole.
Old 17-08-2017, 14:37   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

That's interesting, HopCar. We've always used s/s spur grommets, mostly the 0 size. We bought a box of them ages ago.

What is is about the nickle-plated brass that you prefer?

Thanks in advance for answering.

Ann

To the OP, Jim ordered his through a sailmaker friend. Whichever kind you prefer, there are countless uses for grommets in canvas work, buy lots.

Ann
Old 17-08-2017, 17:47   #8

Boat: IT40 Motorsailer. 40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonc View Post
Can anyone give me some good info on purchasing and installing grommets. I purchased a grommet machine the Yescom 3 Die (#0 #2 #4) Hand Press Grommet Machine and 900 Pcs Golden Grommets Eyelet Tool Kit

I now realize the brass grommets are not brass and will corrode quickly.
I've looked at 304 stainless as I cannot find a good source of real brass grommets.
I now find that there are two types of grommet, sheet metal and rolled edge, and only the right one fits in the machine. I don't know which is the right one. It seems the vendors of grommets try as hard as they can to sell you the wrong item.
I need #0, #2 and #4 sized grommets in real brass or stainless to fit this machine, any help greatly appreciated.
I'll be glad to purchase the grommets for you in hopes I can use your machine. Just picked up my new stack pack last trip and Lindy couldn't finish the grommets. There are only eight of them. I'll be headed over again next weekend and can get what you need from North Sails on the Dutch side. Ernst needs to get some measurements for the new main. I still haven't seen you to pay up for the solar panels you left in the dinghy for me either. I'd be glad to help you out with this.. let me know.
JstaRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 19:22   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

"What is is about the nickle-plated brass that you prefer?"

Just cosmetics. They don't turn green. Unfortunately I have a whole bunch of regular brass ones that will last me the rest of my life.
Old 17-08-2017, 19:31   #10

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

They can get pretty awful when they're all green and lumpy, that's for sure. However, our s/s ones haven't even got surface rust on them, like they must have been paassivated somehow, anyhow, still shiny.

Ann
Old 17-08-2017, 20:16   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
They can get pretty awful when they're all green and lumpy, that's for sure. However, our s/s ones haven't even got surface rust on them, like they must have been paassivated somehow, anyhow, still shiny.

Ann
Might just be a slightly higher percentage of anti-corrosive elements present in their alloy, like chrome & nickel, etc. You can blend "stainless" to excel at all sorts of various properties, depends on what you want it to do.