Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2014, 19:05   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Gotta Love Being on the Hard

My third back-to-back 12 hour day in the yard.... Knees hurt from a thousand trips up and down the ladder re-doing the britework, shoulders hurt from compounding and waxing, the skin on my hands looks like Frankenstein's from the Ospho on the stainless... My checkbook also hurts, because THIS old man is smart enough to pay the yard to sand the bottom!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	80999  
Old 11-05-2014, 21:30   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Gotta Love Being on the Hard

Capnego,

Yup, ladders take their toll, for sure. How wise of you to pay someone to prepare the bottom for the paint. One marshalls one's energies for the chores one wants most to do.

Cheers,

Ann
Old 11-05-2014, 21:49   #3

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Prefer having my boat in safe waters.

Old 12-05-2014, 04:32   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Yesterday afternoon I watched a guy put up his genoa, on stands, amidst many other boats. Wind was light but gusting to maybe 10.

Makes you wonder.

We are into a refit, sandblasted the hull, a bit of replanting, turned keel into integral tanks, etc, so on and so forth. Fabricated brackets for a new day tank over the weekend.

Engine goes back in Friday.

Thank God it was Mothers Day and we took a break.

I can't do 12 hour days anymore. Don't know if it's the body or the soul that wears out faster.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 04:48   #5

Lucky my boat is back in the corner of the yard with a beautiful view of the harbor. Easy to get into staring mode with the overhead view and a cold beer. So the days are not always as productive as I planned. Don't have a choice as far as bottom painting goes boatyard contract say they do it period.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:56   #6
CLOD

Boat: none

Been 2 weeks since I did the bottom and waxed my boat and my knees STILL hurt. So I feel your pain!
Old 12-05-2014, 05:13   #7

Boat: Cape Dory 33

We have just started a refit of our C-25 that was seriously neglected (3 years in the water with owner out of country and no one taking care of her). We figure to be on the hard working on it this whole year. Spent this weekend stripping the bottom, opening up about 50 blisters, cleaning the interior and removing some of the interior wood. BUT we also walked the docks, ate lunch at the local crab house, and took breaks to just sit and enjoy the fact that spring is finally here. We are both pretty sore today, but it's worth it.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:41   #8

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

When the boat is in the water we are all individuals. When the boat is in the yard, we are all in the same boat. Yesterday I took Idora up and dropped her off for a new forestay and furler, also a new bobstay...all this interrupts bright work progress. Arrrhg!
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 06:48   #9
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Going for day 536. Only days off have been Christmas Day (twice), and a few sick days. So close...

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 07:21   #10

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Minaret, when you finish the work there are alot of us who will want to get a look at the best Nauticat on the planet.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:30   #11

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
My third back-to-back 12 hour day in the yard.... Knees hurt from a thousand trips up and down the ladder re-doing the britework, shoulders hurt from compounding and waxing, the skin on my hands looks like Frankenstein's from the Ospho on the stainless... My checkbook also hurts, because THIS old man is smart enough to pay the yard to sand the bottom!
Add another 12' and 10 years to that, you'll see what I went thru, when the weather permitted, to get this old girl in shape. And I did my own bottom work.

The good thing is it kept me in good shape going up an down the ladder, especially in the last spring doing the interior work. Cut a panel & up the ladder to fit it, down the ladder to recut, up the ladder to fit it, down the ladder to recut, up the ladder to fit it...........

After a while one gets use to it. Now, I kind of miss it. It became the norm after 10 years. Just keep after it, you get'r done!
Old 12-05-2014, 08:31   #12

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
THIS old man is smart enough to pay the yard to sand the bottom!
That right there is the single most meaningful thing that differentiates noobies from old salts!

I was a noobie for many years until I wised up. Up to this year, it was the only thing I ever paid to have done to our boat. This year, I paid to have the topsides compounded and waxed.

But in my defense, I was very busy adding new sterns to the boat at the time.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 14:44   #13

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
That right there is the single most meaningful thing that differentiates noobies from old salts!

I was a noobie for many years until I wised up. Up to this year, it was the only thing I ever paid to have done to our boat. This year, I paid to have the topsides compounded and waxed.

But in my defense, I was very busy adding new sterns to the boat at the time.

Mark
Are you back in the water yet?

We've decided to slide over to Cartagena for some extended time on the hard (for the boat at least).
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 15:00   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
..................... I was very busy adding new sterns to the boat .............
Capngeo, Hang in there,- there's great reward ahead!

Mark, I took a double take at this statement quoted above! Bad ass times two, but then I looked at your avatar and saw the cat! It's as if you guys do everything twice! How can we ever catch up!
Old 12-05-2014, 15:19   #15

I was just in Charleston and observed a guy standing, watching as his bottom was sanded and painted. Not knowing the worker from the yard, I enquired and found the owner had hired a temp from an industrial temp agency. He said it was cheaper than the yard rates!
flagorio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
on the hard