Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2014, 15:49   #16

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Gotta Love Being on the Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Are you back in the water yet?

We've decided to slide over to Cartagena for some extended time on the hard (for the boat at least).
Yes, been in for two weeks and are in Roatan now. Later this week we plan to head to the Hobbies for a month, then maybe the Quita Sueno and Serrana banks, San Andreas, Albuquerque Cays, and to Panama. If the weather holds, we will be doing a slow ride down over a few months.

We may head to Caragena for Christmas and New Years - haven't decided yet.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 15:50   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
How can we ever catch up!
Not gonna bite - those cat/mono relative speed threads never go well…

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 12-05-2014, 17:33   #18

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Yes, been in for two weeks and are in Roatan now. Later this week we plan to head to the Hobbies for a month, then maybe the Quita Sueno and Serrana banks, San Andreas, Albuquerque Cays, and to Panama. If the weather holds, we will be doing a slow ride down over a few months.

We may head to Caragena for Christmas and New Years - haven't decided yet.

Mark

Great, no more "Life on The Hard" (funny Eileen Quinn song...appropriate for this thread)

How are the new stern sections working out?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 18:54   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Not gonna bite - those cat/mono relative speed threads never go well…

Mark
Hey, my thoughts were just play, but you're probably right. I've also seen those cat/mono topics go sour!
Old 13-05-2014, 04:36   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

So, the Yard's man shows up yesterday morning to start the bottom, so not having anything else I could do while he was sanding, I left for the day.

I come back, and see the bottom is freshly painted.... Oh well, I was not looking forward to it anyhow. Closer inspection reinforced my motto: "If you want it done right, do it yourself!" It would appear he just slapped on a coat of paint; no scraping, no sanding! He painted over loose flakes AND BARNACLES!

I worked until well past dark-30, scraping loose paint and barnies. Had a wee talk with the yard foreman this morning.... Absolutely no traction whatsoever on having the job redone (at the yard's expense)... Basically, they will paint over the bare spots I made last night when they paint under the stand pads and keel block. I guess I'll be hauling elsewhere this winter and DOING THE BOTTOM MYSELF!
GRRRRRRRRR!
Old 13-05-2014, 05:22   #21

Boat: EndeavourCat 36

Yesterday I scheduled our launch for Friday. Lots to do; deadlines make one focus harder!
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 05:45   #22
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

capngeo - yes indeed, and the people they hire to do bottom jobs will f i up because they usually aren't trained or care. YY hires anyone at lowest dollar off the street IMHE.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 06:03   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Hey, my thoughts were just play, but you're probably right. I've also seen those cat/mono topics go sour!
My humor doesn't always work over the internet. I purposefully took those words out of context to be funny. I knew you were having fun.

Mark

Old 13-05-2014, 06:05   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
How are the new stern sections working out?
Fantastic. Better than we hoped. It is surprising to see the difference in performance when the back steps are no longer underwater creating a giant sucking sound. Better than what could be expected from the small amount of waterline added.

Mark

Old 13-05-2014, 09:55   #25

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Fantastic. Better than we hoped. It is surprising to see the difference in performance when the back steps are no longer underwater creating a giant sucking sound. Better than what could be expected from the small amount of waterline added.

Mark
Good to hear. I've got the same issue so hoping for similar results. Easier mod in my case too.
Of course, taking about 1,000 lbs of crap off the boat would probably have the same effect, but stern extensions are more realistic. ;-)
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 10:11   #26
CLOD

Boat: none

I don't really understand the marina's thinking on things. To wax my hull would be $645 and isn't exactly skilled work.
Old 14-05-2014, 10:21   #27

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

On the hard fixing all the problems with the new/old boat and prepping the old boat for sale, my knees aren't what they used to be but it sure is getting me into shape. Tons of crappy jobs and much needed TLC.
Thought I put the last coat of varnish on the the teak when the guy next to me decided to remove the dust from sanding his bottom with a leaf blower! Oiy, we had a little discussion on boatyard etiquette, at least he was apologetic.
All the crappy jobs done, and now one more coat of varnish and waxing the hull, the people are nice enough, the yard is cooperative enough but I can't wait to get it out of the yard and in the water.
Soon, very soon.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
on the hard