Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2021, 11:27   #1

Gori folding propeller

Anyone know if these can be refurbished. I have a 2 bladed prop and it has way to much movement. It’s my first boat (1980 o’day 28) and not sure if it can be fixed. New one would hurt too much financially.
2weelz4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 05:35   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Gori folding propeller

Could you post a picture? Most mechanical items can be restored, but it's hard to understand what you mean by "too much movement."
Old 25-04-2021, 05:43   #3

Boat: Hanse 430e

I have a gori 3 blade. It appears to me that it is quite robust in design and manufacture. I would think that like any gear mechanism its life would depend on amount of use. Sure the gear surfaces could wear along with the axle pins but it seems to me they will be around for a long time. The rubber stops should be replaced when you change the zincs. Unless its an odd size or old model I suspect that the parts are available.
Dogscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2021, 05:54   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Could you post a picture? Most mechanical items can be restored, but it's hard to understand what you mean by "too much movement."
Been trying to download a video but it just won’t work for some reason. I will try to get a couple of photographs and put them up today if possible
Old 26-04-2021, 16:20   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

It is fairly common for wear in the pivot pins and their associated "holes" to allow excessive side to side play in the blades. The usual repair involves re-boring the "holes" to a slightly larger size, removing any asymmetry and machining new pins to match the size. Alternatively one can fit bushings in the re-bored holes to allow use of standard pins.

Some manufacturers offer this service for their products, but any competent machine shop should be able to accomplish the job. We had it done for a two blade Martec prop whilst in New Zealand back in ~1991, and the restored prop worked as new. The cost then was about half the cost of a new prop.

We also had it done when we bought this boat... on a two blade Gori. The shop used bushings, and it seemed fine when we remounted it. However after only a few dozen hours of use, the slop returned... in spades! Seems that the shop had used sintered bronze bearing bushes instead of solid bronze, and it was WAY too soft for the application and distorted in short order. So, if you decide to have the prop repaired, be sure of how the job is done!

Jim
Old 02-05-2021, 08:31   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
It is fairly common for wear in the pivot pins and their associated "holes" to allow excessive side to side play in the blades. The usual repair involves re-boring the "holes" to a slightly larger size, removing any asymmetry and machining new pins to match the size. Alternatively one can fit bushings in the re-bored holes to allow use of standard pins.

Some manufacturers offer this service for their products, but any competent machine shop should be able to accomplish the job. We had it done for a two blade Martec prop whilst in New Zealand back in ~1991, and the restored prop worked as new. The cost then was about half the cost of a new prop.

We also had it done when we bought this boat... on a two blade Gori. The shop used bushings, and it seemed fine when we remounted it. However after only a few dozen hours of use, the slop returned... in spades! Seems that the shop had used sintered bronze bearing bushes instead of solid bronze, and it was WAY too soft for the application and distorted in short order. So, if you decide to have the prop repaired, be sure of how the job is done!

Jim
Thank you so much! Just what I was hoping to hear. Now I just have to find a good machinist

Tags
propeller, rope