Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2022, 18:24   #1

good source for ss backing plates?

I wasn't sure if it was better to try and find a pre-made, pre-drilled backing plates or if everyone just gets bar stock. In either case can anyone recommend a good source?
cyrano138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2022, 18:37   #2

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: good source for ss backing plates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano138 View Post
I wasn't sure if it was better to try and find a pre-made, pre-drilled backing plates or if everyone just gets bar stock. In either case can anyone recommend a good source?
I've used aluminum, and in some cases Starboard. You are not likely to find pre-cut and drilled because there are so many bolt patterns.

I use 3/16 aluminum mostly and cut and drill it myself, or any machine shop or welding shop is likely to be able to do it for you, take a template.
Old 22-07-2022, 18:49   #3

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I hate to be someone that doesn’t answer the question, but truly, stainless steel backing plates are not a good idea.

they are way too difficult to work with, drilling those holes is ridiculous. It would be far better off substituting aluminum or G10 or even better.. the polyester equivalent.

Do it once with the composite material and never do it again.

Hoping to just talk you out of stainless. Too much work and it can still corrode.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2022, 18:55   #4

I'm open to aluminum or other durable materials. If I'm using ss hardware, is that okay to use with al? I think some of my hardware is supposed to be brass (or is it bronze?). Is that compatible with al?

Thanks for the help!
cyrano138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2022, 19:17   #5

Just more reasons G10 or my personal favorite: Extren.

I really like Extren because I have epoxy allergies and can’t use G 10, but also because the price is a lot better. I know the price on this stuff has gone up dramatically lately, but it is still far superior to using metal. You only have to do it once and you don’t have to think about what is compatible with it or not. It’s truly the best solution for backing plates.

Fiberglass Sheets, Extren 500, 525, 625, GPO3, 1/8 to 1 1/2 Thick

I use this throughout my boat. For all of the backing plates. Especially where they were the most important.

you can cut this stuff with any saw, but I find a sawzall is the fastest way. you can drill out any hole you want in seconds. it will never corrode or rot in any way. you don’t have to think about compatibility with other materials.
Old 22-07-2022, 19:17   #6

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

I second Chotu. Aluminum (Tefgel on the screw threads), G10, Starboard, anything except mild and stainless steel. Gaul a threaded stainless on stainless connection once. You will not be looking to repeat that operation.

Frankly
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2022, 07:28   #7

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Ditto Frankley. Bronze, use bronze or G10 not aluminum. Tef-Gel threads.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2022, 07:44   #8

I've used mainly aluminum for backing plates - easy to cut and drill. I've recently acquired some cobalt bits and have learned how to drill stainless steel (for other projects), but SS is overkill for backing plates.

Most towns of some size have metal "supermarkets" or retail outlets. I've also seen some bar and angle stock at better hardware stores. And I will shamelessly pick metal and fiberglass offcuts and scraps out of dumpsters.

I would also use G10 if I had a local source.
Old 23-07-2022, 08:01   #9
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Just more reasons G10 or my personal favorite: Extren.

I really like Extren because I have epoxy allergies and can’t use G 10, but also because the price is a lot better. I know the price on this stuff has gone up dramatically lately, but it is still far superior to using metal. You only have to do it once and you don’t have to think about what is compatible with it or not. It’s truly the best solution for backing plates.

Fiberglass Sheets, Extren 500, 525, 625, GPO3, 1/8 to 1 1/2 Thick

I use this throughout my boat. For all of the backing plates. Especially where they were the most important.

you can cut this stuff with any saw, but I find a sawzall is the fastest way. you can drill out any hole you want in seconds. it will never corrode or rot in any way. you don’t have to think about compatibility with other materials.
You had this shipped from Wyoming?

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2022, 08:05   #10

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

6061 aluminum is widely used & available.
If you are thru-bolting with SS or Steel,drill the next size larger in the aluminum. Use Tefgel,etc if you have it.
SS ,Steel & other non-alum. bolts all cause the aluminum holes to "swell" some with AL. Oxide white powder in salt environment. 6061 & other marine aluminums are better but still do this over time.
The comm. fishing fleet have been using marine alum. rigging,etc for decades.
Cheers/Len

https://www.metalsdepot.com/aluminum...um-sheet-plate
Old 23-07-2022, 09:11   #11

Make a perfect fitting template from heavy cardboard of thin plywood, go to the local metal supply, pick up a chunk of 316 stainless and drop it all off at a shop that has a waterjet cutter. They can make a CAD file and cut them for you perfect fit. Even better, if you have CAD or simple computer drawing skills just draw a simple 2D cut file for them. Ask them what file format they prefer before doing your technical drawing. Most likely will be .dwg or .dxf.

A lot of shops that have waterjet capabilities may even have the stainless in stock or will get ti for you, but its cheaper to buy yourself. Industrial metal supply and i believe McMaster-Carr have the 316 stainless in 1/4"
BAD ORCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2022, 10:39   #12

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

I can’ 3D print any backing plates any hole pattern in poly Carbon or PEEK CF. Both are stronger than cast aluminum. The holes can be blank or better to the thread required. Great news is they are dirt cheap. Average 3-4$
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2022, 11:21   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
You had this shipped from Wyoming?
Uh, no. I bought 4 x 8 sheets from a local supplier. And by Local I mean one day to drive there, and one day to drive back.

I got a sheet of half-inch and a sheet of quarter inch.
Old 23-07-2022, 11:35   #14

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

I’ll jump on the forget stainless bandwagon.

My go to materials are GPO3 (polyester) and G10(epoxy). I typically glue these plates in place with a flavor of epoxy.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2022, 12:17   #15
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Uh, no. I bought 4 x 8 sheets from a local supplier. And by Local I mean one day to drive there, and one day to drive back.

I got a sheet of half-inch and a sheet of quarter inch.
Please let me know where you got that… I think I’m closer (Titusville) and may do the same thing.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backing plates