Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2014, 20:26   #1

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Good Idea for Bottom Cleaning

I was researching for a design for a power bottom cleaner that would operate on ambient water (hydraulic). My concept was to use the spinning to create a vacuum of the brush against the hull...These guys figured it out 10 years ago. Check out the video.

Pool Scrubbers - Meridian Sub Tek
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2014, 22:49   #2
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Good idea for bottom cleaning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
My concept was to use the spinning to create a vacuum of the brush against the hull...These guys figured it out 10 years ago.
This concept has been around a lot longer than ten years and is how every powered hull cleaning system (and there are many) works. I am in possession of one of them:

fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2014, 22:59   #3

Is it something you use on a regular bases or only for certain types of jobs?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 15-08-2014, 06:08   #4
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Is it something you use on a regular bases or only for certain types of jobs?
Honestly, I haven't used it at all in many months. It isn't capable of cleaning across enough of the fouling spectrum to be truly useful, plus it has a relatively short battery life. These are all issues the manufacturer promised to address but have not. It works well in certain situations and is about as fast as manual cleaning but is not currently well suited for professional hull cleaning applications.
Old 15-08-2014, 10:52   #5

I see...The ones on the link were water powered through a pump, via 110ACV. I'm sure it would take a lot of cleanings to pay off. One concept I had (with all the cutting down on pollution of bottom paint) was to have it separate the metals from the water for disposal. I think the powers to be are heading in that direction.
Old 15-08-2014, 11:23   #6
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
One concept I had (with all the cutting down on pollution of bottom paint) was to have it separate the metals from the water for disposal. I think the powers to be are heading in that direction.
1.- I suspect a brush machine capable of filtering biocides and other pollutants from the effluent would likely be too large and expensive to be of use to pleasure boat hull cleaners. At least one such device is currently in use for ship husbandry applications.

2.- I think it is more probable that water quality policy makers (in this state at least) would ban in-water hull cleaning before requiring that pollutants be captured, especially since no hull cleaning system currently exists to do that on this level.
Old 15-08-2014, 12:05   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post

I think it is more probable that water quality policy makers (in this state at least) would ban in-water hull cleaning before requiring that pollutants be captured
I hope not but sadly and probably true.
Old 15-08-2014, 14:05   #8
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I hope not but sadly and probably true.
The reality is that a capture requirement would probably have the same result as an outright ban- in-water hull cleaning would cease.
Old 15-08-2014, 14:13   #9

Boat: Creekmore 34

I understand that Disney Cruise Ships do not have any anti fouling on. They area clean with huge hydro cleaners like this when they are in port on rotation, Port side one visit, Starboard next, bottom 3rd and props and struts on the 4 visit then repeat. They use different size units for each treatment and are controlled underwater by Divers., They are self propelled and use suction to stay on the hull, the Divers steer.
Not sure how relevant this is, but I thought it was pretty cool none the less. You can do anything with enough money.
riggear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 15:23   #10
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'd be very surprised if any ship, cruise, cargo or otherwise was operating in a marine environment without an anti fouling coating. Disney's ships might be using a non-toxic coating, but they are using something, that is practically garaunteed.
Old 15-08-2014, 16:06   #11

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

I highly doubt a cruise shop operator would run without anti fouling when even a little extra drag on the hull translates to literally tons of fuel per hour.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2014, 02:02   #12

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
I see...The ones on the link were water powered through a pump, via 110ACV. I'm sure it would take a lot of cleanings to pay off. One concept I had (with all the cutting down on pollution of bottom paint) was to have it separate the metals from the water for disposal. I think the powers to be are heading in that direction.
110V

You couldn't get my big toe in the water with a 110V device! I've seen too many deaths of high voltage and water. Just recently there were some kids who died while swimming next to a dock with a hot line leaking into the water.
Old 16-08-2014, 05:35   #13

Re: Good Idea for Bottom Cleaning

The pump on is on the dock driven by 110. The pump provides hydraulic to the unit under water. Hope this helps.
Old 16-08-2014, 10:37   #14

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Good Idea for Bottom Cleaning

OK, the ipad wouldn't open the link so I didn't know how it worked. One of those late night assumptions.
Never mind!

Tags
cleaning