Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 11:44   #1

Boat: golden hind 31
Golden Hind 31

Hi,
I am new on this forum and wondering what you guys think about a golden hind boat i might buy. it needs a total over hull and don't know to much about going about it or how much it would cost. just wondering if someone could help me asses how much it would cost and how long as i want to get out on the water!

thanks - Harry
harrysails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:49   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: Golden hind 31

I took a look at the Golden Hind 31 because there was one for sale locally. It was plywood sheathed in fiberglass and that's why I stayed clear of her. The only person who can tell you her condition is a marine surveyor. I've been working on a total refit of a boat for over 20 years and so far about $20K above the cost of the boat but I'm very slow and cheap. You might be able to complete the project in less than a year if you are 100 percent devoted to the project and there isn't too much to do. If it requires new sails and new rigging then you're into about $10K already. If it requires a new inboard engine then add another $5K minimum. Of course, there are used sails and used engines to be had.
If I were you I'd look for something already sailing that just needs to be cleaned up a bit for $5K or so.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:18   #3

all it needs is a new clean on the inside needs a new motor but sails are fine also it needs a bit of work on the deck as there are some soft spots under the lifelines also it is the first full fiberglass hull boat built in that model so no wood in the hull as thats how they used to make them any way thanks
Old 07-12-2013, 12:47   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Harry,

If you have never refit a boat, the VERY LAST thing you want to deal with is soft spots in the deck.... It's not rocket science.... Just a ton of laborious time consuming work....

And a miserably itchy messy job if not done by the book....

Go find yourself a $5k boat that is ready to sail as SkipJohn has recommended!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:52   #5

If you are handy at carpentry and fiberglassing then the soft spots in the deck can be a do-it-yourself job but being under the lifelines means that there is delamination and dry rot where the deck and hull join. If it is all along that joint then there could be a serious problem that will take quite awhile and disassembly to repair. Yes, a fiberglass hull is a plus in the equation. What type of engine does it need? Price one before you commit so you know what you are up against cost wise for replacement.
Good luck in your decision.
kind regards,
Old 07-12-2013, 13:08   #6

it needs a 15 horse motor it has a diesel inboard but needs to be rebuilt so.....we are thinking about buying a motor kicker motor on craigslist but we don't have a lot of moeny and i don't know if that boat would be more then 5000 to fix up
Old 07-12-2013, 13:09   #7

also thanks for the quick replies
Old 07-12-2013, 16:06   #8

Re: Golden Hind 31

It's hard to say what repairs would cost in materials and only you can answer what your locality will do for labor. I would say $5K would be getting off easy for repairs and engine rebuild if you had the work done.
You truly would be better off finding a boat that did not have the soft deck hull/join issue and engine rebuild unless you could get it for free and are willing to work really hard to get it together.
kind regards,
Old 07-12-2013, 16:33   #9

well the sailboat is on the water and yes i am getting it for free so i think it could be worth it saying once it is fixed up in england it goes for 20k easy......
Old 07-12-2013, 18:03   #10

Well, ok then. Best of luck to you and let us know how extensive the soft spots are. I'd find a used diesel engine to replace the one in the boat rather than go the outboard route if you can.

Find a diesel that will fit exactly or you'll have some expensive modifications to accomplish.

kind regards,
Old 07-12-2013, 18:07   #11

On my boat the hull to deck joint rotted and delaminated and I needed to remove the toerail, unbolt the beam shelf from the hull, dig out all the rotten wood, then replace everything for much of the hull on both sides. Very extensive repair and has taken a lot of time although I'm not full time to the project.

I'd have been very much ahead to have just bought a smaller boat in sailing condition.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:02   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

When a deck is cored - as they almost always are - the core ends before the hull/deck join and there is only solid glass in way of the toerail/overlap.

Harry

Here is a link to one of the last Golden Hind's made in the UK. Expensive but the pics may be full of ideas for you.

Very late built GRP hulled Golden Hind 26 for sale - Yachtsnet Ltd. online UK yacht brokers - yacht brokerage and boat sales
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:47   #13

Boat: Wittholz 39' Cutter by Kanter, CSY 37 Cutter

Harry, if you have a friend who is a sailor, have him take a look and give you an opinion if he thinks the boat can be rebuilt at a reasonable cost. Spend 2 or 3 hours digging into the corners and looking in all the nooks and crannies for rot or mold. Seen how much equipment is on board and if the electrics work. A boat is a large project because you have to work from the bow to the stern inside and outside. A friend who has been sailing and is willing to spend some time helping you go over the boat will hopefully show you some of the major areas in need of repair. Have him look at the motor and find out the maker and model number. Then ask for info from here on CF if it is a practical engine to rebuild or if it should be replaced. Take the sails off the boat and lay on the ground and check for weak cloth, worn or torn areas.
Anyone can rebuild a boat IF he has the time = money= experience= and most of all an understanding partner. Even better is a partner who is more handy than yourself.

Cheers

By the way it is always helpful if you let people know what city, state, country or continent you are located. This is not directed just to you but to all posters on CF. Some areas are cheaper to rebuild a boat than others.
brutb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:49   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

I agree with the above post. Sometimes a free boat can be too expensive.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 13:25   #15

mitiempo its in victoria just noticed you where too so....