Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2018, 05:48   #1

Boat: Tayana FD-12
Goiot tradition hatch 62.62

Has anyone replaced plexiglass and gasket on these hatches. I have two. They leak badly. I'm trying to consider most reasonable option.
I could get a cheap Bomar 900 series 24" for ~500$, or a good Bomar for 1400$, or try to fix these. Lift arms are ceized and knob threads are stripped. Also goiot charges 422$ just for 1 set of replacement arms.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:59   #2

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed
Re: Goiot tradition hatch 62.62

I needed new handles and all the US prices were very high. I eventually ordered from : Sale of spare parts for boat - International Boat Spares no issues, very reasonable cost and arrived in about 2 weeks via French postal system to the US. Don't go for the FedX options.
Ed
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:33   #3

Thanks, I will give that a look. Are you happy with your goiot hatches?
Old 01-03-2018, 11:38   #4

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorvati View Post
Has anyone replaced plexiglass and gasket on these hatches. I have two. They leak badly. I'm trying to consider most reasonable option.
I could get a cheap Bomar 900 series 24" for ~500$, or a good Bomar for 1400$, or try to fix these. Lift arms are ceized and knob threads are stripped. Also goiot charges 422$ just for 1 set of replacement arms.
Can you post a pic of your hatch? I have all Goiot hatches and I couldn't imagine replacing them with anything else. You can simply get the plexiglass cut to size and install it yourself. If you have the same hatch as mine, you can buy a roll of rubber gasket and cut it to size. I must have 10 meters of the stuff on board...
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:44   #5

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

There is this place:

Goiot Hatches & Hatch Parts
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 17:19   #6

Now that I got a second look, I think I'll try to replace the gasket and put a solar vent here. I really have no idea where it was leaking for sure. It looks like it's missing a lot of the gasket and knobs. But the hatch feels like it's built to last. My main issue is the the locking mechanism. Knobs are very hard to use. looking at the new hatches, they have levers that move 90 degrees. My hatch seems like its prehistoric. Click image for larger version

Name:	1519953534240.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	165212Click image for larger version

Name:	1519953547444.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	165213
Old 01-03-2018, 17:28   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copacabana View Post
There is this place:

Goiot Hatches & Hatch Parts
His shop used to be within walking distance from marina where Im doing my refit. Not the easiest guy to work with.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:10   #8

Boat: Norseman 400

Hello,
Yes, we have replaced the acrylic and gaskets on our Goiot hatches and port lights. It was fairly easy to do, a little time-consuming, but worth it. All the hatches and ports are water-tight now. And it was significantly less expensive than replacing the entire hatch or port.

Gaskets - We dug out the old gaskets and adhesive with a pick and needle nose pliers, used a bronze or stainless steel wire brush to get the smaller pieces of gasket and gasket adhesive, then used a fine grit sandpaper to get any remaining tiny particles. We then cleaned the surface with acetone or alcohol (can't remember which - be SURE to read the instructions on the adhesive product!) then laid down a bead of Sikaflex 295 UV and pressed in the gasket.

Sourcing the gasket was a challenge, but we eventually found our needed sizes on the internet.

Once the gasket was almost in, we cut it to the correct length and sealed the ends of the gasket together with a dab of Sikaflex and let it all cure. Obviously, you need a stretch of dry weather, as the ports and hatches can't be closed until the adhesive has had time to dry.

Hatches - To make a paper pattern for the new acrylic, we removed the handles, then placed brown paper over the entire hatch in the closed position. We taped the paper to the surrounding surfaces to keep it from moving and then carefully traced the outside edge and the holes of existing acrylic. We cut out the pattern and holes precisely and confirmed the exact fit.

We used a razor knife to cut the adhesive and then popped out the old acrylic. We measured the thickness of the acrylic once we had the old pieces removed. We took the patterns to Multi-craft Plastics in Tigard, Oregon to have new acrylic pieces made. There were several different types and colors of material to choose from.

Before installing the new acrylic with Sikaflex 295 UV, we cleaned the rims like we did for the port gaskets.

Handles - We removed the port light handles and cleaned the threads with a bronze or stainless steel brush, then applied a lubricant to the threads.

Properly cleaning the frame before you install the adhesive and new gasket or acrylic is the key. Do it right, and they won't leak a drop.

Hope this helps!
Sailor647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 12:25   #9

Boat: Lagoon 420

Any suggestions of where to buy parts for Lewmar hatches
peterwilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 17:09   #10

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

The Goiot web site has clear instructions for replacing the glass: -

http://goiot-systems.com/wp-content/...Ang-081111.pdf

Scroll past the French if you want English.

Bainbridge stock the glass. It is not cheap if ordered from them. I should know!
Alita49DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:42   #11

Boat: Catalina/Morgan 50

RigRite appears to be the only distributor in the US. They have the whole Goiot hatch line with spare parts and acrylic lenses. However, I once had Select Plastics make me a spare lens for a hatch, but it was slightly thicker than the original glass. Not a big problem, I just beveled the sikaflex proud. They were way cheaper. Their Lewmar replacement portlight lenses were spot-on perfect, too.

If you need portlight frame covers, try CloZures Shutters for Lewmar Portlights
capt.blain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Goiot, hatch