Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2011, 08:04   #1

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Goiot Steering Pedestal

Has anyone here about had occasion to rebuild their Goiot 502 Steering Pedestal? A friend of ours on his way to PR is sitting at Samson Cay with a steering problem. It seems one of the bearings supporting the steering sprocket shaft has given up the ghost. I have contacted Goiot regarding replacement bearings with no answer thus far and there is also a question about whether a roll-pin or set screw locks the chain sprocket in place on the shaft. Any information on this repair will be appreciated.

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 08:34   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Goiot Steering Pedestal

Pretty sure its a roll pin. Had the same problem, gave everything to a machine shop Phuket, and it came back fixed. They did't have SS bearings to put in, but I pack everything with grease periodically and haven't seen any rust.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 08:40   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Pretty sure its a roll pin. Had the same problem, gave everything to a machine shop Phuket, and it came back fixed. They did't have SS bearings to put in, but I pack everything with grease periodically and haven't seen any rust.
Don--

Thanks for the note. Amazingly I have located replacement bearings at Goiot's US distributor which is now about 10 miles from where we live in Sarasota, Florida. In the 502 they are "Nyliners" not roller bearings (surprised me). The question about the roll/drift pin/set screw remains. If it's a roll pin I guess the sprocket isn't very tight on the shaft so one can aleign the holes eh?

Thanx again...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 22-03-2011, 08:43   #4

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49

I can't speak for the Goiot, but I decided against a rebuild on my Solimar pedestal. The cost of the parts, painting, and labor was far more than buying a new one. The new one was only $530.

Have you contacted NavimoUSA?
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 08:48   #5

I guess I don't have a model 502, as my pedestal has roller bearings. Its been a while since I had it apart, but seems to me my sprocket has a keyway and the pin is at one end of it and just keeps it from sliding off.
Old 22-03-2011, 09:05   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAELESTIS View Post
I can't speak for the Goiot, but I decided against a rebuild on my Solimar pedestal. The cost of the parts, painting, and labor was far more than buying a new one. The new one was only $530.

Have you contacted NavimoUSA?
Yes. They're in Sarasota, Fl and I did manage to get the bearings. Thanks for the tip.
Old 22-03-2011, 09:06   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I guess I don't have a model 502, as my pedestal has roller bearings. Its been a while since I had it apart, but seems to me my sprocket has a keyway and the pin is at one end of it and just keeps it from sliding off.
Ah Ha. The exploded drawing did not make that clear. It makes perfect sense tho. Thanks very much Don.
Old 25-03-2011, 05:35   #8

In case anyone might need information on obtaining Goiot parts:

William B. Hansen
Director, Technical Services
Navimo USA, Inc
7455 16th St East, Suite 107
Sarasota,Fl 34243
Phone: 941-360-1888 Ext 111
Fax: 941-360-1648
Email: whansen@navimousa.com
web: www.navimousa.com

Bill Hansen was very helpful--And Fast!
Old 08-05-2016, 16:06   #9

I have a Goiot 502 steering pedestal, 1985, with worn bearings, and am trying to figure out how to remove the key on the shaft in order to get the sprocket and shaft out, and ultimately replace the bearings. The key is a pin (see photo) but I can't figure out how to remove it. I made the probable mistake of trying to tap it out one side, but now it seems even more immovable. Is there a trick?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	goiot 502 shaft.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	397.5 KB
ID:	123931  
todbassham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 03:09   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Tod.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2020, 02:37   #11

dear, did you managed to get out te pins? Whats the trick? Mine are stuck also. many thanks
flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2020, 14:20   #12

Its been a while, but I'm pretty sure I drove the pin out with a drift and a hammer.
Old 19-01-2020, 14:46   #13

I can’t tell but it might be a roll pin...

Sometimes it’s easiest to cut one side of the pin off..flush to the axle ..then use the correct diameter pin punch and hammer. To drive it out

Cutting pins flush avoids mushrooming the pin head and making it impossible to drive out

Be care
slug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Goiot, pedestal, steering