Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2021, 09:57   #1

Boat: Hunter passage42
Glue on deck material non-skid

I would like some advise on what type or brand is best for a non-slip material to glue on my deck .
My issue is that I solo with my black lab and she is super nervous walking the deck...(at anchor). She finds it very slippery.
I would need a durable material that her nails can't destroy too quickly.
I sail a Passage 42 and was thinking of cutting out and gluing sections that duplicate the size and shape of the existing non-skid.
Thanks for any ideas.
Bill.
degouwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 12:32   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Glue on deck material non-skid

You could consider "Treadmaster." It is actually a product for yachts. I really don't know how soft it needs to be for the dog to get a decent grip. If your lab doesn't keep her claws worn down short, cut them back, it will help her spread her pads for better traction.

On our boat, we used a rubberized water based paint (called acrylmeric sport cote), and it was very good. Commercially, it is used around public swimming pools. In warm weather, we go barefoot, and Jim's feet get quite calloused, and it worked well for him, too. Best non-skid we've ever had.

You might try sourcing the kind of commercial grade non-skid they use in the entry ways for public buildings. It is fairly soft, with raised 1- 1-1/4" diameter (or so) circles on about 4" centers.

Good luck with it.

Ann
Old 18-01-2021, 18:58   #3

Boat: Sabre 402

I believe the USCG uses a 3M product on their steel decks. https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...0663106&rt=rud
It comes in rolls 3' wide and up to 60 feet long. You probably wouldn't need as much as that.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 19:10   #4

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

SeaDek
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 19:20   #5
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfin View Post
SeaDek

Not with a dog, I think.
Old 19-01-2021, 07:55   #6

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

I sail with 2 large 40 plus poun dogs with kiwi grip and no issues , dogs pads and claws do not damage the surface and work well , dog pads and claws are designed for rough surfaces and the wet , 99% wolfs DNA
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 08:09   #7

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by degouwb View Post
................I would like some advise on what type or brand is best for a non-slip material to glue on my deck .
My issue is that I solo with my black lab and she is super nervous walking the deck...(at anchor). She finds it very slippery...................
I installed peel and stick Seadek in the cockpit, stern sugar scoop and along the port and starboard gunnel, which allows our dog to walk on without slipping. You can either make your own template or have a certified installer scan the areas you want the Seadeck, which I did, then have the factory fabricate the various sections you want to cover. Then you can install it OR have a certified installer install it. Since the material has a sticky backing you did not need to apply glue to the surface. As a result, it is easily removed and replaced. Of course ,there are other sources if this type of material but each has their installation method.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 08:09   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

KiwiGrip

https://www.amazon.com/KiwiGrip-Non-...s%2C185&sr=8-2

gets good marks. I've used it on an aluminum deck that was fearsomely slick. You can adjust how much texture you want with the roller you use, and it takes only bit of practice to become a pro at putting it on. The surface is tough, but not all that hard; it's OK for bare feet.

On a steel deck I've used ordinary industrial skid tape

https://www.amazon.com/Safety-Tracti...1072471&sr=8-9

and not had problems with it coming loose. That stuff gives you a sandpaper surface; you won't slip, but if you did you'd lose some epidemis.
Old 19-01-2021, 12:25   #9

Boat: Tradewind 33, 33 foot, Parker 27 , 26 foot

If your existing dimpled surface is not up to mustard, you could try either standard deck paint on the areas after masking them off (deck paint has a plastic grit mixed into the paint) it's probably the cheapest option and quickest. Next is a product called Kiwigrip which you put on with a special roller, leaves little peaks which then dry hard to emulate you original dimpled deck but I believe has a better 'grip'. Then you get onto Treadmaster which has various patterns from a fine swirly surface (which is still grippy) to a diamond pattern which will give exceedingly good grip. The final idea is something like Flexiteek or similar but don't go there if you don't have too. It emulates a teak deck but in PVC but is expensive.
Martkimwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 13:44   #10

Boat: Farr 1020

Kiwigrip is the obvious, mask the edges and just roll it on. There is a special roller but I have heard it can be too sharp for bare feet so you may want to experiment with different rollers to get an acceptable finish.

I have used a normal acrylic waterproofing membrane with a standard roller to get a very good but not abrasive finish. Final coat with a normal external acrylic paint gives an excellent and durable finish that can then be touched-up as required.

Used to use paint, sprinkle dry sand then when dry brush clear and another coat of the paint. It worked exceedingly well but did need redoing every 2 years.

Whatever 'paint' type finish you consider, just remember that the non-slip also holds dirt so it looks slightly grubby unless scrubbed clean. Don't use a bright white, which you probably wouldn't want anyway because of glare in the sun.

RNLI (British Lifeboat organisation) used to use the Treadmaster panels, diamond pattern, for fabulous grip in extreme conditions but many people find it too harsh on bare feet. It can be glued down with all manner of adhesives but I believe epoxy is recommended.

Roger
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 20:18   #11

Boat: O’Day 40

While strolling the docks in Charleston last week I saw a pretty neat product called Deckit installed on a Morgan 1/2 ton. From their website it appears they come out and scan the deck and then use a CNC machine to cut it out. What I saw was extremely nicely detailed and I’m guessing it was about 1/4” thick. It was a nice surprise after seeing on the same walk instances of Kiwigrip (rough on bare feet?) and other painted products.

Their website says it has a lifespan of 5-7 years & I’m guessing it was pretty pricey but the cutouts around stays and other deck hardware was phenom. Definitely not a DIY product but excellent quality.
LouK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 05:18   #12

Boat: Pursuit 3070 Sold / Cape Dory 28 FBT

I have two Black labs. We put Seadeck on our little boat both on the deck and on the gunnels. The dogs get really good grip and I have seen no noticeable wear after about a year. I just got the template kit for the trawler. The painted decks on it are horrible even for a human. She's getting Seadeck on the cockpit and on the gunnels going forward and around. Seadeck has a 3m pressure sensitive glue on it. Easy to install and so far has stayed on very well and it gets abused.
endlesspursuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck