Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2021, 10:41   #1

Getting started on a refit/ Soft spots

Hello all this is my first post so please be easy on me. I'm starting to begin a refit on my 1966 Morgan 34. There are some soft spots on deck one directly over the v-berth and others scattered. I know they need to be fixed asap Im just trying to figure out with the soft spots how risky would it be to motor from where I am docked now to a different dock not to far away in order to do the repairs. The water intrusion has only gotten as far the first layer of balsa and the interior and skeleton is still solid. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If they're any questions for more specifics I would be happy to answer. Thank You
jquilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 10:50   #2

Boat: Caliber 28
Re: Getting started on a refit/ Soft spots

I don't think there's any risk at all...
Rackman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 10:51   #3
rbk

Boat: T37

The boat won’t sink from some soft spots on the deck as long as it’s not around the mast base and or chain plates. Figure out why they’re soft (water intrusion points of entry) and seal them from the top and drain from below. Make sure your rig and engine are in good shape, those are the two main areas of concern. Deal with the deck later.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 05:13   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Welcome to the forum, jquilter. Definitive repair of the soft spots requires draining them, digging out the rotted core, and filling it with epoxy or the like. Sometimes, it means cutting out the internal layer of fiberglass to get access. It's a frequent issue on the forum.

In the meantime, yes, not much risk in moving. Good luck with it.
Old 09-10-2021, 05:28   #5
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Haw far is the dock that isn’t too far away?

Circular saw, multi tool and angle grinder are gonna be your friends. I recommend to look at a Makita track saw with dust extraction and a Fein Multimaster. I also like the small Makita angle grinder.

Cut sections of the top layer of fiberglass, pull off, fix core underneath and glue the top layer fiberglass back on, grinding and reinforcing the edges with fiberglass tape layers.
Old 09-10-2021, 13:26   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
.................... Cut sections of the top layer of fiberglass, pull off, fix core underneath and glue the top layer fiberglass back on, grinding and reinforcing the edges with fiberglass tape layers.
I've had a lot of success with this plan from Jedi and the repairs were always permanent solutions. I would add some detail to the "fix core" step.

I always removed all the old balsa core and use the mats of balsa tiles that can be bought in sheets; however, I would never place the tiles abutted together. I would suggest that you remove the tiles from the matrix sheet and adhere them to a tacky epoxy film place them with a small crevice space between each one. You will still have the light weight core, but each balsa tile will be surrounded by an epoxy dam and any future water intrusion will no route to travel.

Following Jedi's plan with replacing the removed deck panel, I had smooth, unseen repairs. I did have the advantage of not having a patterned deck, - 'simple and effective quartz sand non-skid. (though my wife sometimes called it non-skin!)
Old 09-10-2021, 13:34   #7
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Here’s my new favorite tool… the 12V small die grinders from Milwaukee. This is the angled one; I have the straight model as well. Tools like these are game changers for these kind of projects
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C74BCA35-37CE-4A66-897E-B239E1184A91.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	435.2 KB
ID:	246623  
Old 11-10-2021, 14:41   #8

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

You have to cut out the rot, and replace it with foam such as Klegecell or Airex, with any spaces filled with polyurethane after the initial cure.

I bought one of those twin-blade circular saws with contra-rotating blades. TaTake a piece of coloured chalk in paw and hammer in other, and locate any SOUND deck surrounding the wet spots and mark the boundaries. Now remove the top layer of fibreglass and expose the core, and scrape out the rotten stuff. Take it RIGHT BACK (no italics) to sound wood.

Use epoxy resin and some glue powder to bed in your Airex core replacement, squish it down then put some heavy plywood on it and a good set of even weighting to hold it in place. I use second-hand weightlifting rings, they are not too heavy and lie flat. ONce that has set, you then use HEAVY buiklders' foam to fill any crevices. That goes off in a few hours and can be trimmed with a knife. You then taper back the deck fibreglass and lay a new glass deck over then foam, using EPOXY or Vinylester resin, and when you have it almost exact, put peel-ply on the top and roll it some more.

Then rip off the peel ply when cured, make sure any edges are trimmed and sanded, and one can then use a UV resistant paint such as Poly-U 400 which requires an epoxy primer. Then apply the Poly-U 400, and after fully cured whatever anti-skid deck paint one would normally choose. Some outdoors masonry paints are identical formulas to Marine deck paint, but at a fraction of the price.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refit