Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2020, 11:01   #31

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore
Re: Getting Contents Out Of Old Spray Cans

I do it often. First make sure that there is little or no pressure in the can. Turn upside down, clamp to workbench, tap an all steel scratch awl with a hammer and make just a tiny hole to relieve pressure. You can then wiggle the awl loose and release any residual pressure slowly. Did I mention I always wear eye protection when doing this? Okay now the can is vented free to the admosphere. Take a sharp chisel and elongate the hole and twist it open. Often the plastic cap for the can will serve as a single use paint cup to pour the paint or other product into. Usually it is made from a plastic that is not easily dissolved by the product in the can. If not, well...

Save all your old nozzles in a small can or jar of acetone, clean with sewing needle or piano wire. Sometimes just replacing the nozzle with a nice clean one will do the trick, if there is still pressure in the can. You can clear a paint can nozzle by spraying wiht the can upside down for a couple seconds. When spray painting, always hold the can upright, especially when the paint level is getting low, so you don't waste propellant needlessly.

Usually when I punch a hole in an aerosol can it is to save a trip into town, not save a few cents worth of product. It's not worth the teaspoon of paint you might get from it. But it might be worth it to save the time to make a trip to Home Depot. Your call. Just remember, when you bought the can it was under considerable pressure, enough to cause injury to idiots and keep the lawyers laughing and gainfully employed. It could STILL have considerable pressure. If you can't squeeze it, don't puncture it. If you can and do, then do it as safely as possible. Wear eye protection or better yet, eye protection and a face shield.

I am not responsible if you make a big paint mess all over your boat or dock, or if you screw up and get burney chemical stuff or shrapnel in your eyes.

And finally, remember... you might not be as smart as you think you are.
Old 28-02-2020, 15:39   #32
rla

Quote:
Originally Posted by boden36 View Post
I've done it a few times. Just use a sharp nail on the convex part of the can next to the large ring around the valve area. Just a tiny puncture to let the gas out, and when it is exhausted a larger hole to decant the contents. Never had any dramas but maybe I have just been lucky. If you want to keep a rattle can nozzle clean, after spraying the can upside down to clear the valve, take the nozzle off and attach it to a brake cleaner can - a little spray will clean it up like new for next time.

Regards,
Richard.

I agree, its easy, put it in a fridge for a while reduces the gas pressure.
There is very little anyway.. like Lithium batteries the explosive forces are greatly exaggerated by scare mongers !!

Now where did I hear that recenly? Oh yes here...
rla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 15:53   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggray View Post
I want to extract the contents of an old paint (actually cold galvanize) spray can.

As is not unusual, the nozzle stopped up, and while I may be able to find a nozzle that works, I really want to get the liquid out and apply with a paint brush.

Years ago I saw a purpose made device that punctured a hole in the bottom of old paint spray to drain any paint. Was at a large industrial plant that needed to dispose of things properly.

I've wondered about either drilling a small hole near the top end of the can, or use a hammer and small nail. Coveralls and face shield, of course, as I suspect there is still some gas pressure. Could chill the can to reduce the pressure, too.

Has anyone done anything like this and can advise? Or knows it's a bad idea?

Thanks!
I have heard of someone useing a tire stem to put compressed air in a paint can also to drill a hole and put a tire stem into the top of a can to be able to pressurize it again and also fill it again. ( this would be handy to refill items like wd40 from bulk sized can to small cans), google refilling spray cans and also search on utube ... the articles are around.
justlearnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 16:30   #34

Boat: 36’ Vindo 50 Sloop
Talking Re: Getting Contents Out Of Old Spray Cans

I have been using a sharp old type can opener for years. I didn't do it for the paint, but for the marbles used to mix the paint in the can. Hook the opener on the bottom of the can and make a small puncture in the side of the can. And of course, point the puncture area away from you. Once the gas is released, widen the hole.
dingfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 17:10   #35

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingfixer View Post
I have been using a sharp old type can opener for years. I didn't do it for the paint, but for the marbles used to mix the paint in the can. Hook the opener on the bottom of the can and make a small puncture in the side of the can. And of course, point the puncture area away from you. Once the gas is released, widen the hole.
So what do you do with all those paint can marbles?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2020, 05:37   #36

Boat: C &C 33 II

I’ve used my bicycle pump a few times when the nozzle is actually clean but the paint still won’t come out of the rattle can. I have a valve stem I lock in the end of the whip, hold it down tight against the nipple that sticks out the top of the can and give it a few strokes, not re-pressurizing the can but loosening whatever valve is stuck shut inside. Of course safety glasses and a pair of nitrile gloves are mandatory. If this is the technique that’s in the Utube video above, I apologize
lumpy102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2020, 07:49   #37

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchaway View Post
You own a boat and can't afford a can of paint?!
It's because he owns a boat that he can't afford paint.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 14:56   #38

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingfixer View Post
I have been using a sharp old type can opener for years. I didn't do it for the paint, but for the marbles used to mix the paint in the can. ...
Why did the cruiser open the spray paint can? To get the marbles of course!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200327_164913.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	211422
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 17:46   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmikem View Post
I have actually done this.. used an old style beer can opener. Shake the can good to mix the paint, turn it upside down, make a tiny hole, then once the pressure is gone make a larger one and pour it out. It is really not much of a problem.

M
This ^^^

Put a rubber glove on and then put your thumb firmly over the point end of the church key as backup. Keeps you from spraying yourself in the face if things go south.
Dymaxion is offline   Reply With Quote