Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2022, 15:26   #1

General questions about sailboat maintenance/DIY repair?

Hello,

I have been sailing for two years while I was living in Poland. I just moved back to the USA and I am about to buy a 27ft Catalina. I never dealt with a sailboat bigger than 22ft. My uncle taught me how to sail EXCEPT how to maintain/repair a sailboat. Rents are high where I'm at and my plan is to liveaboard in the Catalina. If anything was needed to be repaired I would want to DIY it. My questions are

- best books/manuals on sailboat maintenance/repair? (I bought don caseys book)

- Most critical components to check daily/weekly especially on a old sailboat?

- how to repair or what should I check on a atomic 4 gas engine to make sure everything working properly

- how to fix or what should I check on my batteries in order for the electrical system to work?

- best website for buying sails/batteries/general parts?

- best toolsets for maintaining/repairing a sailboat?

Sorry english not my first language. Sorry for the questions Im just kind of overwhelmed and want to learn quickly before purchase. Thank you.
witty_smokes345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 15:36   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50
Re: General questions about sailboat maintenance/DIY repair?

Its a learning curve and a steep one . Maybe watch some of the youtubers that do there own maintenance !
Old 03-05-2022, 15:48   #3

Step 1.
Don't buy a boat with a gas engine.
Ballsnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 16:05   #4

Boat: 1982 Cal 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballsnall View Post
Step 1.
Personally, having had a Cal 29 with the Atomic 4, I disagree with this. Sure, gas can be more dangerous, but if maintained well I know for fact that one that hadn't been in water in 5 years can be brought back to life and motor about 250 miles down the ICW. I have lots of manuals and websites with all the parts and info you'd need. Start with www.moyermarine.com
Drummer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 17:14   #5

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Buy a Catalina 30 if you’ll live aboard. 27 is too small.
Old 03-05-2022, 17:31   #6

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Welcome aboard witty smoke!
I have a good friend who lived aboard his Catalina 27 for a number of years, with his girlfriend and a dog. For its length the Catalina is roomy. My first thought is don't panic, there probably is not much you need to do. The Atomic 4, while not my first choice, has a reputation for being long lasting and reliable. My only concern right off the bat is that you be sure there are no fuel leaks from the engine, carburetor or fuel tank. You should not smell gasoline. For living aboard the other thing you'll want to be sure is functioning is the head (toilet) and the plumbing and the holding tank. Next I'd check your thru-hulls and sea-cocks to be sure they are sound and functioning. For liveaboard you'll need to check the shore power connection and make sure it is safe. As far as batteries, if you are hooked up to shore power you can take your time to research and purchase new batteries in the future. My recommendation would be two 6 volt golf cart batteries, but you won't need them till you are going sailing. If those things are squared away you can sleep! (There really isn't anything that needs daily or weekly maintenance necessarily.) Then when you are ready to take her out sailing it will be time to check sails and rigging and such, but one step at a time. Keep asking lots of questions here too.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 17:47   #7

Boat: Beneteau 423

This website will be very valuable either searching older threads or asking questions.

Find the Catalina users group online. There is probably an active one for 27’s.

Check out Nigel Calder books

Practicalsailor.com is a good resource. The archives have good articles.

https://batteryuniversity.com/ has been very helpful to me.

Search for marine consignment shops in your area for used parts. Where will you be based?

I like defender.com. https://www.fisheriessupply.com/ is also good.

Ask around the dock or moorings for tips about where you will keep your boat.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 18:25   #8

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by witty_smokes345 View Post
When aboard in port? Not much of anything. Chafe on dock lines. Water in the bilge. Shore power connection getting hot. Moldy food in the cooler.

Quote:

- how to repair or what should I check on a atomic 4 gas engine to make sure everything working properly
What should you check. You should confirm that there are no fuel leaks. You should check the cooling system and, if you are in the ocean, consider converting it to freshwater cooling if that hasn't been done. You should check the zincs and the water pump impeller. You should confirm that the ignition system has been serviced sometime recently (a few hundred hours or several years) and do that if it hasn't been. You should confirm that the alternator (or generator) makes electricity by checking it with an ammeter. You should change the oil. You should perhaps change the transmission oil or at least check it.

If evaluating a boat for purchase you should check compression.

https://moyermarine.com are the parts source and the experts on the Atomic 4. They are simple engines and easy to repair. A modern 9.9hp outboard is more complicated.

Quote:

- how to fix or what should I check on my batteries in order for the electrical system to work?
You should replace them if they are more than 4 years old. If they are less than four years old you should get a load tester and test them, and replace them if they are bad. Then you should confirm that the connections are clean and bright, and replace the battery cables if they are not.

Then you should confirm that the charging systems are working at the correct currents and voltages.

Quote:

Sails - use your local loft, they will come to your boat and figure out things that you can't.

Batteries - Walmart etc

General parts - Engine, Moyer Marine. Everything else, Fisheries Supply (west coast) or either Defender or Jamestown Distributors (east coast). Unusual hardware items or specialty tools, McMaster Carr.

Quote:
Screwdrivers, adjustable wrenches and pliers, cordless drill, knife, scissors, pop rivet tool, set of splicing fids, random orbit sander, battery powered wet/dry vac, putty knife. Maybe a couple of smaller hand saws, one for metal, one for wood and plastic. A set of socket wrenches for the engine. Maintaining a sailboat is not a tool-intensive job.

Quote:

Sorry english not my first language. Sorry for the questions Im just kind of overwhelmed and want to learn quickly before purchase. Thank you.

Best wishes

Learning languages is hard. My father spent a lifetime teaching Spanish and French.
Old 03-05-2022, 18:40   #9

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

depending on your intended use, the catalina may not be a very good boat in heavy weather.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 01:23   #10
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by seandepagnier View Post
depending on your intended use, the catalina may not be a very good boat in heavy weather.

Few 27 footers are.
Old 04-05-2022, 01:41   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Witty.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 04:22   #12

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by witty_smokes345 View Post
If anything was needed to be repaired I would want to DIY it. My questions are

- best books/manuals on sailboat maintenance/repair? (I bought don caseys book)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlev00 View Post
This website will be very valuable either searching older threads or asking questions.

Find the Catalina users group online. There is probably an active one for 27’s.

Check out Nigel Calder books

Practicalsailor.com is a good resource. The archives have good articles.

https://batteryuniversity.com/ has been very helpful to me.

Nothing in my paid careers prepared me to be a diesel mechanic, an electrician, a plumber, an HVAC technician, etc...

So I've had to learn all that a bit at a time...

The single most useful online resource I've found is the owners' club for our boats.

Second is the installation and operating manual for every system on the boat. Usually available from the maker's website. Takes a while to compile, but at least I can eventually turn to my softcopy of the manuals... and ideally many of those also include and exploded-parts diagram and a troubleshooting guide. Then I can also schlepp the manual (on a tablet) to wherever the work is to see how to do whatever...

Third, additional help is often available from the builder of a specific system. AC, for example, or pieces of electronics, fridges/freezers, etc

Fourth, I took a diesel course. (Can't speak to Atomic 4s, but I think I'd recommend you instead by a boat with a small diesel and good access to it if you still have discretion to do that. For me, diesels are easier to maintain than gas engines.)

General websites, like here for you, VERY useful.

Books (Calder and Casey examples) are good. YouTube can be helpful.

Specific tools become necessary, but some of those are OK acquired when needed. Basic wrenches, sockets, drivers, etc. generally are available in introductory sets... and then building on that as you go can work OK. For example, you'll find you'll want a multi-meter when working on electrical projects. When your first electrical project happens, buy a multi-meter. Et cetera.

I generally try to document every "fix" I do on the boat, with narrative, pics, and product costs... and including the spreadsheet I use as a maintenance log. Helps when it's time to do a repetitive job again (oil/filter changes, for example) or when something wears out/breaks again. Some of that also becomes useful fodder to support other owners in the owners club...

-Chris
Old 04-05-2022, 05:04   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballsnall View Post
Step 1.
Nothing wrong with a gas engine. Vast majority of 25-35 boats are gas engine powered.

Make sure to follow proper procedures.

Consider taking a boater safety course (even if you wind up with a diesel engine)
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 06:52   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

My opinions, for what they're worth.

Gas engine. Hundreds of thousands of boats have gas engines and they work just fine. Not my top choice but a boat that is a good deal and otherwise very good I would not eliminate due to gas. BUT do make sure there are no gas leaks in the system.

Size. 27' can work for some people, not for others. I agree the Catalina 30 had much more room and might be better for most people.

Books. Also highly recommend Nigel Calder's book. The Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual. Some of it may be a bit advanced for a beginner but you will grow into it.

Websites
- Parts, pumps, rigging bits, hoses, etc. Defender.com Hamiltonmarine.com Go2marine.com
- Sails. New I like Mack Sails. Used several website. Bacon sails is one but google used sails for a lot more.
- Electronics. Defender.com thegpsstore.com
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 09:24   #15

Boat: Pearson 367

Just beware, a lot of marinas have a 10% liveaboard cap. The wait-list can be several years long to get a liveaboard slip. Second is that many marinas have a minimum length to allow livaboards. Usually around 32-35 ft. Check with the marinas in your area and do your homework before buying a small boat.

Tags
boat, DIY, maintenance, repair, sail, sailboat